Would buying a GPU be smart in the current time?

Loozher

Knowing that the prices for parts are fluctuating alot at the moment. So, would getting a GPU be a loss? or would it be smart? 

I'm in Australia, prices are pretty expensive anyways but say for anyone else.

I currently have a GTX1070 which ive overclocked a bit and it still runs really well, easily getting 240+fps in most games

And what GPU would i get? I have a ryzen 5 3600 with a MSI b550 tomahawk

Or should i wait it out? Stick with my godlike 1070 and wait till this increase is over.

7 minutes ago, Loozher said:

Knowing that the prices for parts are fluctuating alot at the moment. So, would getting a GPU be a loss? or would it be smart? 

I'm in Australia, prices are pretty expensive anyways but say for anyone else.

I currently have a GTX1070 which ive overclocked a bit and it still runs really well, easily getting 240+fps in most games

And what GPU would i get? I have a ryzen 5 3600 with a MSI b550 tomahawk

Or should i wait it out? Stick with my godlike 1070 and wait till this increase is over.

if you are satisfied with your GPU there is no reason to go out and buy another just to have one. if the games you play put out enough frames to match your monitor, you're fine forever. 

the best reason to upgrade a GPU is because you want to do something you've never done before. "I want to try VR" or "I want to get 144FPS to match my 144Hz monitor" or even "let's see what this ray tracing is all about"  these are reasons to upgrade. not "my GPU model number is old"

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

2 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

if you are satisfied with your GPU there is no reason to go out and buy another just to have one. if the games you play put out enough frames to match your monitor, you're fine forever. 

the best reason to upgrade a GPU is because you want to do something you've never done before. "I want to try VR" or "I want to get 144FPS to match my 144Hz monitor" or even "let's see what this ray tracing is all about"  these are reasons to upgrade. not "my GPU model number is old"

Fair enough, I mean i ran VR fine on a 4 core 4 thread CPU which ive upgraded from since, but my VR cable has since broke and a new once is an extra $300.

My monitor is also 280hz which my GPU can get in most games, im happy with it.

If you can get it at retail, and not part of a bundle, unless you just happen to need the board or whatever as well, then sure, it's as good a time as any to upgrade.

The problem, of course, is that that's hard to do right now (hard, but not impossible). When it comes to buying from a scalper or something, it's never worth it, so just don't.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Just now, Loozher said:

Fair enough, I mean i ran VR fine on a 4 core 4 thread CPU which ive upgraded from since, but my VR cable has since broke and a new once is an extra $300.

My monitor is also 280hz which my GPU can get in most games, im happy with it.

there you go. no need to upgrade for you, for now. 

unless.... you wanna buy my overinflated 1070 or 2070Super? i'm kidding. you can't have my spare parts. i horde like a dragon. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

I'd say probably not. I built a new PC last month but I decided to put my old GTX 1060 in there for now until I can get a good deal on a new GPU. The prices GPUs are going for right now are just really hard to justify.

1 minute ago, VioDuskar said:

there you go. no need to upgrade for you, for now. 

unless.... you wanna buy my overinflated 1070 or 2070Super? i'm kidding. you can't have my spare parts. i horde like a dragon. 

Haha. No kidding. I've got a 5600 XT collecting dust in my closet, but you can pry it out of my cold, dead hands. That's my backup in case anything should happen to the card I'm driving.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

My backup is a 3200G... lol

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |