Need to limit my SSD/Harddrive speed to 20MB/s

7LoveLess

Hello there!

Been searching youtube and not a single channel has any tips to help me with this. I can't use flash drives since they can't handle the many writes and reads. all i find which is annoying is how to optimized your harddrive/.ssd speed that's no where near what i'm looking for. I look for very old sata cables and they run to a 150mb/s speed which is too much vs 20MB/s speed that i need. I have ryzen 3900xt m.2 slots with 128GB ram this is not an old pc although it isn't the newest i have no need to upgrade. Reason i need this is a personal experiment but i'm willing to pay for a software that will allow me to do so. i don't care if doing this will kill my SSD/hard drive speed/life or if it's not good for my system. Thanks for reading this is my first post. 

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Fire up a vm? most vm software lets you limit iops and bandwidth.

what is VM?

sounds good thanks sounds little complicated for 1 task that i need. 

If anyone out there knows another way maybe something i can install in my PCI-e slot that would be awesome too. 

5 minutes ago, 7LoveLess said:

sounds good thanks sounds little complicated for 1 task that i need. 

If anyone out there knows another way maybe something i can install in my PCI-e slot that would be awesome too. 

Its pretty darn simple to make a vm, easily less than a hour to setup. Much faster than easier than adding any hardware.

May I ask what the point of this is? Maybe we already have to result for you so you don't have to bother with it. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 minute ago, FloRolf said:

May I ask what the point of this is? Maybe we already have to result for you so you don't have to bother with it. 

can't say sorry. I say VM i guess it will be ok if it does work but i was looking for hardware or a specific software for this. I'm sure there is i just have to search deeper. 

3 minutes ago, 7LoveLess said:

can't say sorry. I say VM i guess it will be ok if it does work but i was looking for hardware or a specific software for this. I'm sure there is i just have to search deeper. 

Vm is that specific software. Lots of people use vms for testing software.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Vm is that specific software. Lots of people use vms for testing software.

@Electronics Wizardy Well thanks to you i was able to find a solftware that limits iops in your hard disk with out installing anything else so thanks. This is kinda cool. You have helped me so much, All i did was search a iops software tool which is famous in the server industry to preventing from crashing among other things and to keep servers running smooth. Well i'm happy and my first post in Linus i was able to find what was looking for.