Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PC "semi" powers off overnight

Hey guys, weird title, I'll try to explain best I can.

Specs are in my sig, host OS is windows, fully updated (19042.1052). In my windows settings monitor and PC are both set to sleep after 1hr, and hybrid sleep is turned on.

Most of the time everything goes to sleep normally, and whenever I come back to the PC a little mouse wiggle/button press and it wakes up no problem.

However, sometimes (only ever noticed it after leaving my PC overnight, even then it seems sporadic) my PC appears to be shut down (i.e. all lights are off, except mobo RGB lights revert to their standard RGB pattern), and the only way to "wake" it, is to hit the power button, and when I do, within 2-4 seconds, my PC instantly boots to the lock screen (no boot screens, etc), and I can log in, and my desktop is sitting as I left it.

I'm not to worried about this, it's kinda nice. I'm just trying to wrap my head around it all. Anyone know what the cause might be?

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

That looks like normal sleep mode to me. When I put my pc to sleep a case LED flashes indicating it's in sleep and pressing the keyboard will only make it's lights turn on, and the mice does nothing.

I'd guess that's normal "hibernate" behaviour. But imo there's no real point to sleep mode or hibernate, as most modern PCs boot in seconds anyway.

Dislaimer: If my post is older than 5 minutes, refresh the page. Most of my posts get edited straight away. 😄

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List

Current Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550-E - GPU: PNY RTX 3080 XLR8 Epic-X - RAM: 4x8GB (32GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz CL16 - PSU: Corsair RMx (2018) 850W - Storage: 500 GB Corsair MP600 (Boot) + 2 TB Sabrent Rocket Q (Storage) - Cooling: EK, HW Labs & Alphacool custom loop - Case: Lian-Li PC O11 Dynamic - Fans: 6x Noctua NF-A12x25 - AMP/DAC: FiiO K5 Pro - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG35VQ - Mouse: Logitech G Pro + Powerplay - Keyboard: Logitech G915 - Headphones: Beyerdynamic Amiron Home - Microphone: Antlion ModMic

Temperatures @steady state: Furmark + CinebenchR23 running for 1 hour. Fans @850RPM. Pump @1600RPM.

Water: 37°C

CPU: 73°C

GPU: 54°C

My new rig also does this, and I have yet to investigate.

It's a little annoying that I can't just click a key or move the mouse, and I have to power it on every morning, but I don't think it's an issue 

I believe it may have something to do with hibernation as well, because changing my sleep settings doesn't seem to fix it.

PSU Tier List      AMD Motherboard Tier List      SSD Tier List

If I helped you out, please leave a thumbs up. It's appreciated.

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

Quick Note - After my sleep timer is up, my fan RGB will turn off and the fans will stop spinning, but the ram will stay lit, and for a short while, my power button stays solid, and I'm able to wake the PC with keyboard/mouse.

However, after an indeterminate amount of time, the power button will flash, and the keyboard/mouse will not wake the PC anymore.

That's when I need to use the power button.

PSU Tier List      AMD Motherboard Tier List      SSD Tier List

If I helped you out, please leave a thumbs up. It's appreciated.

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

This is normal the same happens with my PC.During sleep mode your PC is set to use low power which turns off RGB.The light in the power button stays on which is the hard drive.Its completely normal and you need not to worry about anything.