Anyway to upgrade your laptop RAM that is soldered to the motherboard?

With many manufacturer going for soldered RAM to keep their laptop thin and light, is there a way to upgrade the RAM if we want or need it? Assuming that desoldering works are available in every computer service shop, and that RAM chips is 'common'.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

RAM is just RAM, if you desolder the chips and solder on bigger chips it would work. but because these are BGA chips, soldering them is quite a difficult task.

there are a few people who have done the same with GPU's, but the same applies to normal RAM.

15 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

With many manufacturer going for soldered RAM to keep their laptop thin and light, is there a way to upgrade the RAM if we want or need it? Assuming that desoldering works are available in every computer service shop, and that RAM chips is 'common'.

I've believe that often those laptops still have a second slot available

I'm willing to swim against the current.

19 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

RAM is just RAM, if you desolder the chips and solder on bigger chips it would work. but because these are BGA chips, soldering them is quite a difficult task.

there are a few people who have done the same with GPU's, but the same applies to normal RAM.

Is there no logic chip like SPD chips too? 🤔

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

In short, no, don't swap out the ram chips if:

1. you don't know the board specifics like logic chips for the ram etc

2. you don't have the equipment

3. you aren't skilled in this part of solder jobs

Because if you brick your machine, well you need to get a new one, then you can spend a little on more ram =)

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIsMx28Pakg

it's doable, but you need to change the some resistor for the bigger ram chips.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 hours ago, RollinLower said:

I see.

2 hours ago, leclod said:

I've believe that often those laptops still have a second slot available

For many thin and light 13 inch laptop, they no longer offer a RAM slot. All RAM are soldered. I just recently bought Lenovo Yoga 6 13ARE05, and all the RAM are soldered. I got a 16GB, but I believe the CPU can support up to 32GB, but Lenovo didn't offer it. I do run some VM, so RAM is a concern. The Ryzen 7 4700U has enough juice for VM, but the RAM is a little bit limited.

2 hours ago, Anghammarad said:

In short, no, don't swap out the ram chips if:

Agree. But I think manufacturer should make this available. I have a Surface Pro 4 with 4GB RAM, and now it is technically an e-waste because I couldn't run a lot of application (GIMP always crash). It is now sitting there collecting dust. Well, at least it is still good for watching Youtube and working with Office apps.

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

it's doable, but you need to change the some resistor for the bigger ram chips.

Not to mention the correct RAM. I found that many RAM chips has different pin layout too. Still, manufacturer should standardised the connection for upgrades.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.