pop os display resolution appears to be fixed at 640 x 480 (4:3) on Compaq Presario CQ60 114EM

Hi

I have just installed pop os (Nvidia) on an old Compaq Presario CQ60 114EM (4gb DDR2).

Its working quite well but the screen resolution is stuck a 640 x 480 (4:3); and the setting appears to be fixed at this.

It appears the CQ60 may be able to reach 1366 x 768; which I'm thinking may make things a little sharper.

Any ideas how I can improve the resolution?

Many thanks

Best guess: The default drivers don't (or no longer) support the NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G GPU, so you're stuck with some kind of backwards-compatible VESA graphics mode. So you'll probably have to search for working drivers for this card. Since this is a fairly old machine an older OS might actually be a better option.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Current Nvidia drivers don't support these ancient GPUs anymore, so you probably want to install the non-nvidia version of PopOS and install the drivers yourself, seems the latest with support is https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/156163/en-us

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Current Nvidia drivers don't support these ancient GPUs anymore, so you probably want to install the non-nvidia version of PopOS and install the drivers yourself, seems the latest with support is https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/156163/en-us

This.

Install the non-Nvidia version, then find which driver still supports the Geforce 8200M and install that. You need at least a Kepler GPU (GTX600/700) series to use the latest Nvidia drivers.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

You could also try to see if the open source Nouveau driver is an option for this card. Since this is a fairly old card it might actually be a better option compared to the proprietary one.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Thanks all for the responses.

I knew I was pushing things a little with something this old; but it was great to see Pop OS running on it. 

I'll try the non-Nvidia version and the drivers mentioned.

Much appreciated.

Just a quick aside and right now its not relevant but if you plan to stick with Pop for the future then its worth bearing in mind.

Lots of distros are starting to use Wayland as the default Display Server, Arch and its derivatives now use it by default, Fedora does and Canonical have stated the intention to move Ubuntu over to it, more than likely with the next release and Gnome 40.

Unfortunately, Nvidia GPUs don't play nice with Wayland, at all. I'd strongly suggest you keep an eye on future updates and if Wayland is added as the default make sure to swap back to X.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

• 2 months later...

*Exact* same problem here - Resolution stuck at 640X480 / 4:3 and no way to adjust it

(Pop! 21.04  /  Asus STRIX Z270E Gaming / nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 / Samsung S27B50)

This is not my latest and great system, but it would not be fair to call it ancient either. 

I've tested several distros over the last several months including Ubuntu / Mint / Debian and Manjaro and did not have any problem

• 6 months later...

Exact same issue here with GTX 560 to.  Works fine on my other machine with a GTX 1050ti.  Mint had the same issue.  I can't install because I cannot see the bottom of the screen.