Can a really good VA panel come close to the color reproduction of an IPS panel?

KyberKylo77
Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,
2 hours ago, KyberKylo77 said:

ohh ok, thats interesting. May I ask then why are IPS panels so popular if VA panels are practically the same with better contrast levels (minus the backlight bleed too)? I mean i know that VA panels aren't good when it comes to response times and they have bad viewing angles but no one looks at their screen anywhere else but dead on right.

Like you said, most people not only want good colors, but also good response times. And most VA panels are far behind current IPS tech. Samsung's Odyssey G7 and G9 are the frist VA panels that are close or actually better than most IPS monitors in that regard.

The usefulness of better viewing angles can be debated. The "worse" viewing angles on VA monitors are getting too much attention imo. Most people view a monitor dead-on which makes the better viewing angles of IPS negligible. When it comes to TVs, viewing angles can become more important. In many living rooms people might no sit directly in front of their TV or have wide seating arrangements.

In terms of color reproduction, VA and IPS are both capable of over 90% DCI-P3. But if you really need full (or as close to full as possible) coverage of that color space, then you'll most likely end up with an IPS monitor. High end VA monitors like Samsung's "QLED" typically end up between 90-95% coverage of DCI-P3. High end IPS like LG's "Nano-IPS" will end up at 95-99%. But recent high end QLED TV's have shown that they're also capable of covering 97%+ PCI-P3.

Basically when both technologies cover about the same color space, the VA panel will almost certainly look better because of the higher contrast and thus deeper blacks.

Sadly the only VA monitors available that can currently rival the best IPS monitors are the Samsung G7/G9. But many people avoid them because of their ridiculous curve and 32:9 aspect ratio.

For example, if the dci p3 and srgb coverage of both panels are the same, will the color reproduction be comparable without taking viewing angles into account

yep, most high end lcd tvs are actually VA because you get the good contrast and colors. the downside tends to be response time on cheap VAs and viewing angles if it doesn’t have a wide viewing angle filter built in. the viewing angles aren’t as bad as TNs though.

I mean, Samsung does a pretty good job with their QLED monitors / TVs

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1.TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

If they have the same colour gamut coverage and not taking viewing angle into account then yes - colour reproduction will be the same (VA might actually produce a bit better colour as there's less glowing issue), given that both had recieved a proper calibration of course

10 hours ago, KyberKylo77 said:

For example, if the dci p3 and srgb coverage of both panels are the same, will the color reproduction be comparable without taking viewing angles into account

Yes.

LG 32UL500

BenQ EW3270U

Asus TUF VG27WQ1B

Samsung Odyssey G7

Asus TUF VG32VQL1

To name but a few that have IPS levels of DCI-p3 and adobe RGB coverage.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

19 hours ago, e22big said:

If they have the same colour gamut coverage and not taking viewing angle into account then yes - colour reproduction will be the same (VA might actually produce a bit better colour as there's less glowing issue), given that both had recieved a proper calibration of course

ohh ok, thats interesting. May I ask then why are IPS panels so popular if VA panels are practically the same with better contrast levels (minus the backlight bleed too)? I mean i know that VA panels aren't good when it comes to response times and they have bad viewing angles but no one looks at their screen anywhere else but dead on right.

2 hours ago, KyberKylo77 said:

Like you said, most people not only want good colors, but also good response times. And most VA panels are far behind current IPS tech. Samsung's Odyssey G7 and G9 are the frist VA panels that are close or actually better than most IPS monitors in that regard.

The usefulness of better viewing angles can be debated. The "worse" viewing angles on VA monitors are getting too much attention imo. Most people view a monitor dead-on which makes the better viewing angles of IPS negligible. When it comes to TVs, viewing angles can become more important. In many living rooms people might no sit directly in front of their TV or have wide seating arrangements.

In terms of color reproduction, VA and IPS are both capable of over 90% DCI-P3. But if you really need full (or as close to full as possible) coverage of that color space, then you'll most likely end up with an IPS monitor. High end VA monitors like Samsung's "QLED" typically end up between 90-95% coverage of DCI-P3. High end IPS like LG's "Nano-IPS" will end up at 95-99%. But recent high end QLED TV's have shown that they're also capable of covering 97%+ PCI-P3.

Basically when both technologies cover about the same color space, the VA panel will almost certainly look better because of the higher contrast and thus deeper blacks.

Sadly the only VA monitors available that can currently rival the best IPS monitors are the Samsung G7/G9. But many people avoid them because of their ridiculous curve and 32:9 aspect ratio.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

6 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I don't know other sizes, but If you look for a 32" monitor, it do make a difference, monitor being curved can possibly make up for it, haven't tried, but when I was watching a IPS one and VA one,  and both was flat panels, things closer to the edges edges of the VA panel did have very noticeable colour shift compared to IPS, possible it would be noticeable in the corners of flat 27" too, but haven't tried personally, but it would be less issue probably.

If you look at colour accuracy and not how wide the colour is, from what I have seen IPS is still better, bit if the difference is big enough, I don't know, it certainly isn't for movie watching but debatable for if you do photography or whatever.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

5 minutes ago, Mihle said:

I don't know other sizes, but If you look for a 32" monitor, it do make a difference, monitor being curved can possibly make up for it, haven't tried, but when I was watching a IPS one and VA one,  and both was flat panels, things closer to the edges edges of the VA panel did have very noticeable colour shift compared to IPS, possible it would be noticeable in the corners of flat 27" too, but haven't tried personally, but it would be less issue probably.

I don't see that being an issue with modern VA's. They do have worse viewing angles than IPS, but by all accounts not bad ones. I've used a VA panel for a few years, and unless i stood above the monitor or looked at it from the side, i didn't notice any more or less color shift than your average IPS monitor. I just think the viewing angle thing worries people too much. It's kind of like the OLED burn-in discussion in between different LCD techs.

5 minutes ago, Mihle said:

If you look at colour accuracy and not how wide the colour is, from what I have seen IPS is still better, bit if the difference is big enough, I don't know, it certainly isn't for movie watching but debatable for if you do photography or whatever.

IF color accuracity is of any concern, you'll have to fully calibrate your monitor either way. And when you do this, both technologies will have the same results in terms of accuracity, provided the coverage is the same.

There is no single monitor a professional should use out-of-the-box. Calibration is absolutely neccesary in that case.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

25 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I don't see that being an issue with modern VA's. They do have worse viewing angles than IPS, but by all accounts not bad ones. I've used a VA panel for a few years, and unless i stood above the monitor or looked at it from the side, i didn't notice any more or less color shift than your average IPS monitor. I just think the viewing angle thing worries people too much. It's kind of like the OLED burn-in discussion in between different LCD techs.

I have sat in front of flat 32" IPS and VA myself, was like 1,5 years ago and saw it with my own eyes, but as i said, a curved one might make up for it, I haven't tried that.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Just now, Mihle said:

I have sat in front of flat 32" IPS and VA myself, was like 1,5 years ago and saw it with my own eyes, but as i said, a curved one might make up for it, I haven't tried that.

A curve might help, but much of the viewing angle stability comes down to the coating used. For example Samsung's high-end QLED TVs use a coating that brings their VA TV's close to IPS viewing angles. So the viewing experience is still dependant on the exact monitor we're talking about. In the end reviews are our best friend.

On 6/9/2021 at 12:54 PM, KyberKylo77 said:

For creative professional, I would assume that's because they tend not to be working alone or sitting right at the center of the screen all the time. Viewing angle in some VA can be pretty bad in that it just shift the colour a little as you move your head or move around while talking to other people over your phone - not enough to be easily noticeable but definitely seen when making a side by side comparison (which can be a problem when you artwork is going to be reivewed by a many people)

But from my experience so far, most creative people I've interacted (outside of the tech industry) with don't care at all about the type of panel they are using. They just want it well calibrated, come at the size they can work with, and doesn't cost them a ton. 

For most other people, I assume they don't care as well but a more premium monitors often comes with an IPS configuration, I assume that they actually want it for other features that the monitor offered (like high refresh rate, wild colour gamut coverage, higher resolution etc.)

That said, IPS wild viewing angle advantage will start to become more important as you moved to a larger monitor. I've never noticed any performance differences in viewing angle between VA and IPS at 24 or 27 inch monitor but at 32 inch and larger (especially on a flat panel) the colour shift started to become more noticeable especially around the edge of the screen. 

On 6/9/2021 at 7:54 AM, KyberKylo77 said:

I used TN, IPS, VA, OLED before.

And if i had to choose between IPS and VA, i'd almost always go VA if the rest of the specs are the same. There is a reason why most TV's opt for VA instead of IPS. The higher contrast will almost always result in better picture quality. And if the manufacturers can figure out the overdrive to get good response times, then there is next to no reason to go for IPS imo. Samsung's latest G7 and G9 monitors already have better response times than their IPS counterparts. If they can release flat versions of these monitors, i bet it will become the go-to option for high-end buyers, effectively replacing the high-end market position of IPS.

If i had a free choice i'd always take OLED, but sadly there is no high-refresh rate OLED monitor yet.

(And before the CX topic goes on again: No, the CX 48" is not a monitor and it's just too damn big for useage on a desk)