What does it take to use Apple Watch with Android?

Stoigeboiii

I have an Android phone but have been looking at getting an apple watch. I have an old iPhone 6 that I use for security testing and a M1 Mac Mini. I don't really feel like carry around an iPhone everywhere I go.

So is it possible to use an Apple Watch with an Android? What features am I losing out on my not carrying an iPhone with me everywhere I go? 

Thanks for any help! 

Links to articles, videos, and advice are greatly appreciated!

I believe it takes a lot of faffing around with third-party apps, and even then a resignation to the fact that you will lose probably the majority of the advertised functionality.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

11 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

its not worth it bruv

^^^ Using an Apple Watch in a non-Apple ecosystem is just paying $300+ for a watch with an OLED face. Get an Android smartwatch, it should work much better with a 'Droid phone, or switch to an iPhone and it'll work better with your Mac as well. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

19 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Get an Android smartwatch

What Android smartwatch do you recommend?

7 minutes ago, Stoigeboiii said:

I don't have one to recommend, I've been in the Apple ecosystem since 2014 or so (when I first got a phone) as all their stuff works together better. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Android smartwatches in general are very poor compared to the experience of using an Apple Watch with an iPhone.

OP, what exactly do you want to use it for?

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

59 minutes ago, Stoigeboiii said:

It might not be the best time to get one. Google and Samsung just announced a partnership on a brand new Wear OS experience due later this year (probably the fall, I figure), and there's a real chance existing Wear OS watches won't get it. Fossil already suggested you might be stuck if you use an existing model.

Samsung's Galaxy Watch lineup is an easier sell, but as you might have guessed, Samsung is also going to be making a watch using the new Wear OS.

In the meantime, though, the smartwatch market is pretty one-sided (and might still be afterward, for that matter). If you want the best smartwatch, you need an Apple Watch... full stop. That's not even hyperbole; the competition has its advantages, but it's behind in interface, in apps and in hardware performance. Google and Samsung are teaming up in no small part because they both realize that Apple's advantage in smartwatches could translate to Android phones losing share.

19 minutes ago, DwarfEngine said:

An iPhone. 

Not exactly using it with Android then, is it...

pythonmegapixel

1 hour ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Not exactly using it with Android then, is it...

I mean, you can debate about the meaning of “with”. 

Anyways, I know what the real meaning is. I was just trying to tell that it wouldn’t worth the hassle if the OP doesn’t want to get an iPhone too, like how Linus does it. 

Given the current climate of smartwatches, 

On 6/7/2021 at 2:27 PM, Commodus said:

It might not be the best time to get one. Google and Samsung just announced a partnership on a brand new Wear OS experience due later this year (probably the fall, I figure), and there's a real chance existing Wear OS watches won't get it. Fossil already suggested you might be stuck if you use an existing model.

Samsung's Galaxy Watch lineup is an easier sell, but as you might have guessed, Samsung is also going to be making a watch using the new Wear OS.

In the meantime, though, the smartwatch market is pretty one-sided (and might still be afterward, for that matter). If you want the best smartwatch, you need an Apple Watch... full stop. That's not even hyperbole; the competition has its advantages, but it's behind in interface, in apps and in hardware performance. Google and Samsung are teaming up in no small part because they both realize that Apple's advantage in smartwatches could translate to Android phones losing share.

Pretty much agree here. At this time (hopefully this will change), you should only be looking at a smartwatch if you have an iPhone, as the Android competition is severely lacking. If you’re on Android, and have no plans to switch, then I’d skip the smartwatch. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

16 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Given the current climate of smartwatches, 

Pretty much agree here. At this time (hopefully this will change), you should only be looking at a smartwatch if you have an iPhone, as the Android competition is severely lacking. If you’re on Android, and have no plans to switch, then I’d skip the smartwatch. 

On Android I'd be tempted to get a good fitness tracker that has notifications. It'll cover the essentials without as much of a dent in your bank account.

On what planet is having a computer on your wrist which tracks your exercise and sends you notifcations by an even more intrusive means than your phone already did an "essential"?

pythonmegapixel