Did you actually ever save money with Honey?

Stahlmann
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

I'm in Australia and it has never worked. I tried it for a while but after it never found any deals I disabled it a while ago, but enable it every now and then when buying something online to check if it is going to find any deals and it never does.

From what I've heard it works in North America. I'm not sure if it's just a difference in the American market where coupons and discount codes are more common or if it's something to do with the way it works where there's more users in America which allows it to find more deals, or what... If you're outside of USA/Canada then I don't think there's much point installing it.

About a year and a half ago i installed the browser extention after seeing it in many sponsor spots. I'm pretty much buying everything apart from groceries online, and so far it happened 1 time that it found a matching coupon and after applying it saved me 2€ or so on amazon. How the hell do they get these ridiculous numbers of savings made by people?

Has anyone of you actually ever saved any noteworthy amount of money using honey?

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Because you're not in the US... pretty much useless outside of there indeed. But most of LTT's viewership is in the US, so...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Yep, Honey is really more geared towards the US market. It's also a massive data harvesting scheme. Remember, if it's free to use, you are the product and you're paying them with all the data you give them for free to track your browsing and spending habits. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

Just now, Avocado Diaboli said:

Yep, Honey is really more geared towards the US market. It's also a massive data harvesting scheme. Remember, if it's free to use, you are the product and you're paying them with all the data you give them for free to track your browsing and spending habits. 

Actually, Honey makes money via referrals and kickbacks from retailers. There's privacy concerns any time you give out any sort of personal information, but there's no reports of Honey selling anyone's info, and Honey themselves indicate they do not do so, in their privacy policy.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

12 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Has anyone of you actually ever saved any noteworthy amount of money using honey?

i've saved a number of dollars while using it

0 is the number

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I tried it in the US. Complete pile of garbage. Did nothing for me.

Combined with that it's harvesting data, was a no-brainer uninstall for me after 2 days.

elephants

I'm in Australia and it has never worked. I tried it for a while but after it never found any deals I disabled it a while ago, but enable it every now and then when buying something online to check if it is going to find any deals and it never does.

From what I've heard it works in North America. I'm not sure if it's just a difference in the American market where coupons and discount codes are more common or if it's something to do with the way it works where there's more users in America which allows it to find more deals, or what... If you're outside of USA/Canada then I don't think there's much point installing it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Yeah, i'll probably also uninstall it now. Seems like i'm not the only one seeing that it's pretty much useless. Especially outside of the US.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

i got $20can  max then they wanted like 800 gold to cash out im like no....

the coupon code has never worked when i used it.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

1 minute ago, Chris Pratt said:

Actually, Honey makes money via referrals and kickbacks from retailers. There's privacy concerns any time you give out any sort of personal information, but there's no reports of Honey selling anyone's info, and Honey themselves indicate they do not do so, in their privacy policy.

They might not do it yet. But privacy policies are subject to change at their behest, not yours. And if and when they decide to change those because they've accrued enough data to sell it in a profitable manner, there's little you can do about it afterwards. Remember, traps always trigger when it's already too late to get out.

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

always has been.

Raycons be cons.

ads be lying for consumers at times.

Of course i didn't get my hopes high as it still was a sponsored ad.

But i didn't expect it to be THAT useless if you know what i mean 😄

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I'm in Australia

My condolences.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I tried using honey for a bit. Doesn't work on german retailers, Especially amazon.de, I feel honey would be useful only on amazon.com but I do not usually shop here and that's just "sadge".

Anyway I found out it was useless that it doesn't and immediately uninstall it.

Although I'm not against it and people are right, Honey is geared towards US, not anywhere else and that's a shame.

edit: Oh so none else was able to save money even in the US, wow ok, Now i can see Honey going nowhere with this.

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

Like 20% off my case (there was a 20% off one item on Newegg code at the time)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

They might not do it yet. But privacy policies are subject to change at their behest, not yours. And if and when they decide to change those because they've accrued enough data to sell it in a profitable manner, there's little you can do about it afterwards. Remember, traps always trigger when it's already too late to get out.

And companies that say they don't sell your data have always shown to be trustworthy in the end...

My take is pretty much that the data they are gathering about your buying habits is not worth the occational 2€ save you get every 2 years after posting this topic.

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Like 20% off my case (there was a 20% off one item on Newegg code at the time)

Let me guess: This code was not applicable to GPUs? 🤔

The whole point is giving coupons from partners... but there are user-run coupon sharing sites that won't be limited to just partners and you're probably more likely to find something there.

That's if that type of promo is a common thing in your regional market, coupons, mail-in rebates etc seem to be everywhere in the US but it's pretty rare where I am.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

14 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

Yeah, but there's being safe and being paranoid. If you care about your privacy *that* much, you might as well just unplug, and go live in a cabin in the woods. It's not like they even collect that much data on you. Just maybe your name, email, and shopping habits. Google has more info on you just from searching the web, and we'll not even begin to discuss things like Facebook.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Hey @Stahlmann

38 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I live in Slovenia, EU and Honey saved me a couple of Euros here and there. It's usually a VERY small though (maybe two or three Euros - max I've saved was prob. 10EUR).. 

11 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

You'd have to agree to the new privacy policy before any of that happens. And if you live in the EU or the UK there are numerous data protection laws that allow you to request any company to erase all your data, with some exceptions like banks where you can only stop them from processing your data.

https://gdpr-info.eu/art-17-gdpr/

8 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Let me guess: This code was not applicable to GPUs? 🤔

I think it was a 20% off, max 20$ saved. So yeah, but it would've saved you 20$.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

Yeah, but there's being safe and being paranoid. If you care about your privacy *that* much, you might as well just unplug, and go live in a cabin in the woods. It's not like they even collect that much data on you. Just maybe your name, email, and shopping habits. Google has more info on you just from searching the web, and we'll not even begin to discuss things like Facebook.

Oh absolutely, you're right. But I find it funny how LTT advertise something like Private Internet Access (PIA) on one side and Honey on the other and how some people who are paranoid about their data whenever it's taken by force are absolutely fine with providing it for free if the process is obfuscated a bit. It's a 1984 vs Brave New World kind of deal. I just wanted to point out the mechanics of how Honey operates, because this aspect rarely gets talked about in this context.

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

You'd have to agree to the new privacy policy before any of that happens. And if you live in the EU or the UK there are numerous data protection laws that allow you to request any company to erase all your data, with some exceptions like banks where you can only stop them from processing your data.

https://gdpr-info.eu/art-17-gdpr/

Which, again, is why Honey is only useful to US residents who don't fall under such protections.

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

But I find it funny how LTT advertise something like Private Internet Access (PIA) on one side and Honey on the other

Well, that's mostly because there's no real point to a consumer VPN if everything you do is above board, but they can't market it for nefarious purposes without running afoul of laws. So, they just say you use a VPN for "privacy". If you're logged in to Google or Facebook, for example, you have no privacy online, VPN or not. They still know it's you.