Speakers, Subwoofer and Amp question

N00BYSL4Y3R

Hi there I was having a difficult time on a home theater setup and was wondering if someone who know better could tell me if what im doing is gonna work. 

So Im planning to buy and install two in wall speakers on the left and right (Those ones actually: R-5502-W II In-Wall Speaker | Klipsch ) and a speaker amp ( This one: Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in California ) but wanted to also include subwoofers ( 2 of those: RW-5802-II In-Wall Subwoofer | Klipsch ) 

So I know the Ragnarok is good for the two speakers but wanted to know if I can hook up the subs on it and if yes, I would be really happy if someone could tell me how to hook them up thanks.

10 hours ago, N00BYSL4Y3R said:

Hi there I was having a difficult time on a home theater setup and was wondering if someone who know better could tell me if what im doing is gonna work. 

So Im planning to buy and install two in wall speakers on the left and right (Those ones actually: R-5502-W II In-Wall Speaker | Klipsch ) and a speaker amp ( This one: Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in California ) but wanted to also include subwoofers ( 2 of those: RW-5802-II In-Wall Subwoofer | Klipsch ) 

So I know the Ragnarok is good for the two speakers but wanted to know if I can hook up the subs on it and if yes, I would be really happy if someone could tell me how to hook them up thanks.

No, I don't beileve it'll work. The RAGNAROK does not seem to have the outputs required-or the power required, for that matter- to power the subwoofers. Now, we can go two directions with this. I actually don't particularly recommend this setup- the gear you're looking at looks a bit pricey for what you seem to be getting, and they're slightly out of date, the speakers were released in 2012, and the subs 2015. Because of this, I'd actually recommend spec'ing out a entierly new system, from the ground up, and I have some questions to ask along with that, to help find a system that's best for you (But you'll want to try to go out and demo gear if you don't really know what you like, or what you should listen for, or if you just want to hear some components sound. More on that later). I'll have some questions below this paragraph, If you want to try spec'ing out a new system, I'd recommend going ahead and answer them. If you're not in the mood, that's great, just lmk if you have any other questions. The Recommended subwoofer amp for the klipsch subs is the Klipsch RSA-300, and it should have all the proper inputs and outputs that you need to power the woofers. 

1. Well, somewhat obviously, can you provide your budget for the entire system? Include Speakers, amps, cables, dacs, turntables, ect. anything you're considering purely for the sound system. If you're comfortable, please specify how much you are comfortable with spending, and how much you want/intend to spend (If those two figures are different, if they are not, I would again ask you to please lmk, and I mean, you can be comfortable with spending less than your budget, it doesn't always need to be more). This is purely so I can understand what type of headroom you have. If you have less headroom, I'll work in more strict accordance to the budget. If you could also provide your region/country and currency, that would be helpful as well.

2. Can you provide rough dimensions for your home theatre setup, and how far away you'll be from the speakers? The most important thing is how far away you are from the speakers, room dimensions aren't that concerning but would be helpful to know. 

3. Do you have any space constraints for the speakers themselves, and would you prefer to have them be say, In-wall? Also for home theatre, a large part of teh experience is the center channel (for dialog) and the surrounds for immersion. Would you like to reconsider purchasing a 2.2 setup, or would that be what you prefer?

4. Is there a type tuning/sound curve you like? If you don't really know what that means, Do you like a lot of bass (e.g, a kick drum), treble (E.G, a symbol), midrange (E.G human voices, if you say a band this is where about 80% of them would live)? Do you want it to just be balanced? A lot of something, a little of something? Please feel free to use more detailed terms if you are aware of them. 

5. Room- Can you specify what the room you're placing them is made out of, and maybe describe the most common materials in it (Say carpet, leather materials, wood, metal surfaces, ect.)? This isn't required but it can help with us choosing a speaker, as room acoustics can pretty seriously affect how a room sounds. If you have any soundproofing or acoustic treatment, that'd be helpful to know. Photos, also, would be a nice something if you would like. 

6. Distance- How far away will the (back) of your speaker be from a wall/corner if it happens to not be inserted into the wall (Ignore this if you only want in-wall speakers)? A rough number or range would be appreciated, anything to get an idea. This can be pretty important. Knowing how far away you intend to place the speakers from eachother would be mildly useful to, kek, but it isn't by any means required. 

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to ask. 

And for any further audio advice you might like on speakers/home theatre on a latter date, AVS forums is a more active community with more experts on the topics covered there. You'll likely get more, and higher-quality responses for speaker, amp, dac, and home theatre questions. Headphones and certain other topics however, not so much.

Oh, also about the demoing, I almost forgot about that. I'm going to assume your budget based off of you previous system is a good bit above $2500 USD, and I actually have no idea what previous experience you have or if you prefer a certain sound signature, ect. Because of this, if you do not have a ton of experience-especially with gear as expensive as this- I would absolutely recommend trying to find properly "hifi" audio shops in your area, and I'd recommend going around to them and listening to the systems that are available, and maybe you'd want to ask certain questions to the people selling the gear, getting an idea of what they think of it and how they think it sounds (warm, bright, ect.) and comparing to what you think. This'll both give you experience about what you like, but It'll also give you an idea of what sound signatures and qualities of a speaker you prefer. The people working there might express their own opinions, or the general consensus of the community who has come out to try the speakers. And either way, it'll help you understand what to look for in speakers. 

In other words, I'd recommend going out to try speakers in hifi audio shops, and learn what you like. It could help you as a reference- if you listen to a really great audio system that was worth say, $50,000 USD, now you have a reference of what, well, something like that sounds, and if you're demoing gear towards your budget, or if you've purchased gear to audition, you'll know what to look for and most likely what you like in a speaker, as well as what something much more expensive sounds, just as a sanity check, in the case if your speakers don't actually sound that great, but you don't realize it. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

Alright

1. My budget would be around 4000 CAD ( 3200 USD ).

2. I said Home theater but its actually more of a studio/desktop music listening, gaming and movie watching on my home office desk kind of setup.

Here's a sketch I made on photoshop of my room seeing from above:  

image.thumb.png.92aaa1e7e41a6005dbfd9be278df71f8.png

- So the room is 10'x13.83' and 8' high, drywall all around.

- Those white and light blue shape rectangles in the middle are my desktop ( i know pretty huge).

- Those blue triangles on the corners above are 45 degrees walls that I was planning to build for inserting those In walls speakers. The red V is where the speakers are pointing at which is me just in front of my desk. Its approximately 6' distance. 

3. I really want In walls as I think it would look so good and clean being flush to the wall and want subs for extra kicks and bass when I want.

So a 2.2 is what Im looking for, 2 speakers and subs for each side.

4. I'll say balanced? I have a EVGA NU Audio as a DAC so I can play with the software equalizer to tune the audio how I want.

5. Drywall all around and vinyl plank on floor

I choose the Shiit Ragnarok because It give me the option to plug my headphones on my desktop if I want and just quickly switch to the speakers or even do both at the same time, also it look gorgeous even tho its probably overkill which I dont really mind. I also choose those Klipsch speakers because of the look. Im pretty sure I could make it sound good how I want since im using the EVGA NU Audio software equalizer as DAC.

But Im open to look at other options that I didnt find or suggestions that would make it better while saving money.

So thats all, what do you think? What do you think I should do?

Also thanks and sorry for the late reply

Spend the bulk of your budget on the speakers. As others have mentioned, it's best to try to hear them before you make the purchase. Even better if you can demo them in your own room. In your price range, Revel has a few good options that you may consider like the M106. The aluminum cone SB Acoustics drivers they're using are really pretty nice. They aren't Scan-Speak / Volt / Purifi / Seas, but they're the best thing in their price class. 

Another option you might consider is a used pair of Quested V2108s, if you can find them in your budget. I've seen pairs go for $2500 - $3000 before (you have to be patient...), and in your room you probably won't need subs with them. The VH2108 is the passive version (and would need a dedicated power amplifier). FWIW, the woofers are a custom Volt driver (still available from Quested) and the tweeters are Morel MDT30s and are still available for about $80 each from various suppliers. 

Schiit makes very good power amplifiers, and I would not hesitate to purchase one for your mains. If you're willing to shop used, you might be able to find a Bryston or MC2 power amplifier in your budget.

I would seriously look at purchasing something more beastly than a Schiit / Bryston for your subs, however. Most consumer amps don't have the current capabilities to really handle subs well. The best sub amp I've ever heard was the BSS EPC780, but they're very difficult to maintain. The next best thing is one the the Class H Crest amplifiers, or an MC2 E series. The latter is out of your budget, but a Crest 6001 / CA6 or a Pro 8200 isn't, at least on the used market. QSC PowerLights are also pretty good in this application.

FWIW, I would not hesitate to run a Crest / QSC amplifier on mains. They sound great, and you could probably save a few bucks doing so.