Manual focus get easier the more you use it?

Hi, do you get better at manual focus the more you practice? Does it become like your riding a bike.

Quick question to fill in the gaps of my curiousity.

I never did much manual focusing on DSLRs. On mirrorless, it's a lot easier between the punch-in and focus peaking. That said, It's never become second nature for me, but I don't use manual focus much... pretty much just for astrophotography, and I have a Bahtinov Mask to assist with that.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

27 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

I never did much manual focusing on DSLRs. On mirrorless, it's a lot easier between the punch-in and focus peaking. That said, It's never become second nature for me, but I don't use manual focus much... pretty much just for astrophotography, and I have a Bahtinov Mask to assist with that.

okay.

I would say yes. I am not a profession photographer, videographer or even a hardcore hobbyist but in my limited experience you do pick up how to quickly and accurately put the subject in focus. I was asked to record some plays done at the local school my mother works at and you learn pretty quickly how to manually focus when you don't want to hear the camera's AF motor running in the recording lol. (Though thats not as much of an issue if you have the equipment to record from other sources.)

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

1 minute ago, trag1c said:

I would say yes. I am not a profession photographer, videographer or even a hardcore hobbyist but in my limited experience you do pick up how to quickly and accurately put the subject in focus. I was asked to record some plays done at the local school my mother works at and you learn pretty quickly how to manually focus when you don't want to hear the camera's AF motor running in the recording lol. (Though thats not as much of an issue if you have the equipment to record from other sources.)

No, just a mf lens I need to learn.

3 hours ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

Hi, do you get better at manual focus the more you practice? Does it become like your riding a bike.

Quick question to fill in the gaps of my curiousity.

Without a focus screen in viewfinder for a photo camera like old film cameras or without a very accurate and sensitive focus assist and sufficient large screen it is not simple to do manual focus with digital cameras because of this sometimes we turn on autofocus and let the camera achieve focus and then we turn it off to lock it in place

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

3 minutes ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

Without a focus screen in viewfinder for a photo camera like old film cameras or without a very accurate and sensitive focus assist and sufficient large screen it is not simple to do manual focus with digital cameras because of this sometimes we turn on autofocus and let the camera achieve focus and then we turn it off to lock it in place

But what happens if you have a manual lens ;-; 

Just now, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

But what happens if you have a manual lens ;-; 

try to achieve focus very carefully or increase depth of field to make sure subject is inside focus range

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

Just now, LaFemmeEnVert said:

try to achieve focus very carefully or increase depth of field to make sure subject is inside focus range

Cant I zoom in? most cameras have that and also you could achieve focus peaking on a monitor from a company like smallhd with the focus 5.

4 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

Cant I zoom in? most cameras have that and also you could achieve focus peaking on a monitor from a company like smallhd with the focus 5.

If you use accessories then yes you can magnify the image to help with focus.  my previous responses assumed you dot have any budget for accessories

1 minute ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

If you use accessories then yes you can magnify the image to help with focus.  my previous responses assumed you dot have any budget for accessories

I can squeeze a focus 5 if its gonna help me pull focus\

Edit: its not on amazon thats my only problem (Australia)

1 minute ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

I can squeeze a focus 5 if its gonna help me pull focus\

Edit: its not on amazon thats my only problem (Australia)

Pro tip: if you really want to work with your camera for paid job avoid ordering essential gear from Amazon.  Look for a local professional equipment supplier who can quickly repair or replace any equipment immediately or has rental equipment when you truely need it on a job

its ok to buy small adapters and cables from Amazon but any essential equipment must be from a reliable supplier

Pro tip: if you really want to work with your camera for paid job avoid ordering essential gear from Amazon.  Look for a local professional equipment supplier who can quickly repair or replace any equipment immediately or has rental equipment when you truely need it on a job

its ok to buy small adapters and cables from Amazon but any essential equipment must be from a reliable supplier

There is no reliable gear shops where I am located in Australia. Trust me, I searched it up all I could find were people who sold dvds.

Edit: Teds camera store is a photography store and doesnt sell anything video related. apart from a black pro mist.

6 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

There is no reliable gear shops where I am located in Australia. Trust me, I searched it up all I could find were people who sold dvds.

Australia has a video production industry, it’s the home of blackmagic, Atomos sand decimator.  Where do corporations or video production, event production company’s, indie filmmakers in Australia source their equipment?  The shop doesnt have to be in the same town it just has to be somewhere in the region close enough that they can overnight deliver a replacement or rental if it’s urgent

https://www.videocraft.com.au/shop

https://www.videoguys.com.au

https://www.dragonimage.com.au

https://www.lemac.com.au

https://secure.johnbarry.com.au/film-television-productions

Australia has a video production industry, it’s the home of blackmagic, Atomos sand decimator.  Where do corporations or video production, event production company’s, indie filmmakers in Australia source their equipment?

https://www.videocraft.com.au/shop

https://www.videoguys.com.au

https://www.dragonimage.com.au

https://www.lemac.com.au

https://secure.johnbarry.com.au/film-television-productions

I dont want to spend a hour looking for video gear shops, Thank you.

Recommendations for monitors?

EDIT: 5 inch would be preferred

Smallhd focus is a fantastic monitor

if yowant to work you will need to invest in time to find resources and establish connections

Smallhd focus is a fantastic monitor

if yowant to work you will need to invest in time to find resources and establish connections

Also the samayang lens is a bit more expensive than the rokinnon for the same lens (I dont know why) and it would be squeezing over my 700 AUD budget. So that gives me time to buy a pro mist and that just barely gets me in budget. Ill research monitors and later I can get one.

2 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

Also the samayang lens is a bit more expensive than the rokinnon for the same lens (I dont know why) and it would be squeezing over my 700 AUD budget. So that gives me time to buy a pro mist and that just barely gets me in budget. Ill research monitors and later I can get one.

My supplier offers me equipment in advance with up to 30 days delay in payment if we need equipment and cannot pay immediately

if your budget is limited look at monitors made by Chinese like feelworld or Ikan or some other, they will not be the same quality as a Smallhd

My supplier offers me equipment in advance with up to 30 days delay in payment if we need equipment and cannot pay immediately

if your budget is limited look at monitors made by Chinese like feelworld or Ikan or some other, they will not be the same quality as a Smallhd

ill check out some brands and see if some are ringing the bells.

ill check out some brands and see if some are ringing the bells.

This is the cheapest it will go (Its atomos which is a suprise) https://www.videocraft.com.au/atomos-shinobi-5-hdr-4k-monitor-hdmi and I might need extras for it so its gonna put me over a new lens by the time I get the extra's sooo do I get a lens, wait about 3-5 months then get this or should I just buy this then the lens.

54 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

This is the cheapest it will go (Its atomos which is a suprise) https://www.videocraft.com.au/atomos-shinobi-5-hdr-4k-monitor-hdmi and I might need extras for it so its gonna put me over a new lens by the time I get the extra's sooo do I get a lens, wait about 3-5 months then get this or should I just buy this then the lens.

You need to figure this yourself

another way to do manual focus with a manual lens if the lens has accurate distance markers is use a tape measure and mark out distances from the camera if the camera is fixed in a single location all the time

21 minutes ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

another way to do manual focus with a manual lens if the lens has accurate distance markers is use a tape measure and mark out distances from the camera if the camera is fixed in a single location all the time

I think I should get a manual lens practise for 3-6 months then refine my skills with a monitor to help. Lens is my decision.

A follow focus system wont add much to the price of the lens.

13 hours ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

Is amazon okay for a pro mist? a decent one.

17 hours ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

shinobi is the common rec for a decent 5in monitor, far cheaper than small HD but much better than the random brands

17 hours ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

samayang, Bower, rokinnon are the same brand, made in the same factory

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

28 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

shinobi is the common rec for a decent 5in monitor, far cheaper than small HD but much better than the random brands

samayang, Bower, rokinnon are the same brand, made in the same factory

ill keep that in mind.

Edit: should I buy a pro mist from amazon

18 hours ago, LaFemmeEnVert said: