Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is Nioh 2 harder than the first?

Also does it have the same upgrade system? I didnt like that at all tbh… 

✪Ryzen 3600✪RTX3070✪B350✪

✪Trident Z 3600 16-16-16-36✪

✪Noctua U12S Chromax✪

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Also does it have the same upgrade system? I didnt like that at all tbh… 

I think it's about the same, so I am also not interested. 

i read the steam forums, game has also a lot of tech issues, sad what happened with team ninja after the "itagaki incident"…

*funny enough his latest game (Devils Third) is actually top notch.

✪Noctua U12S Chromax✪

14 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

game has also a lot of tech issues

Oh boy that does not sound promising to me. I recently got into the first one and I'm absolutely loving it, but good lord the first challenge is already to just get the thing to make it to the title menu.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | Storage: 250 GB Crucial BX100 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 1TB WD Green + 3TB WD Red | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

On 6/11/2021 at 4:03 PM, tikker said:

Oh boy that does not sound promising to me. I recently got into the first one and I'm absolutely loving it, but good lord the first challenge is already to just get the thing to make it to the title menu.

yup… those japanese console ports are often weirdly awfully optimized, and frankly too expensive for what they are most of the time.

And well Nioh has all the ingredients for a great character action hack and slash game, but i played all the betas and alphas (on ps4) and the full game just isnt "it" they changed basically everything i liked , camera, weapon degredation (i usually dont care about that but in the pre final version it was oddly satisfying and immersive) and lastly the kind of forced lock on is just a complete no go, completely "not japanese" if i may say so, most japanese games have a lock on, but you usually can completely ignore it, and often its easier without it too (also something i didnt like about Demons Souls) oh, and Im kinda an expert, i play only japanese "3d action" games (99%)

: D

Not saying Nioh is "bad" its just not really my thing and its kinda deceiving, because  visually (minus the awful lock on) it totally *is* my thing. 🤷‍♀️

✪Noctua U12S Chromax✪

17 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

yup… those japanese console ports are often weirdly awfully optimized, and frankly too expensive for what they are most of the time.

And well Nioh has all the ingredients for a great character action hack and slash game, but i played all the betas and alphas (on ps4) and the full game just isnt "it" they changed basically everything i liked , camera, weapon degredation (i usually dont care about that but in the pre final version it was oddly satisfying and immersive) and lastly the kind of forced lock on is just a complete no go, completely "not japanese" if i may say so, most japanese games have a lock on, but you usually can completely ignore it, and often its easier without it too (also something i didnt like about Demons Souls) oh, and Im kinda an expert, i play only japanese "3d action" games (99%)

: D

Not saying Nioh is "bad" its just not really my thing and its kinda deceiving, because  visually (minus the awful lock on) it totally *is* my thing. 🤷‍♀️

I don't thin it's bad at all. Some bosses and attacks are just straight up BS, but generally I find it great. The lock on is indeed a bit janky. A consistent auto switch after killing an enemy would be nice and sometimes it just doesn't seem to lock on and then you're dead because you couldn't see what happens lol. Outside of single enemy encounters I'm fine without lock on a lot of the time though.

Currently at the final boss (which is a bit of a let down honestly). Looking forward to the second installment after this.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | Storage: 250 GB Crucial BX100 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 1TB WD Green + 3TB WD Red | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Excuse me for asking this extremely newb question, but what the heck is Nioh?😖

Rig 1: AMD AM4 R9 3900X (12C/24T) | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 8GB Patriot Viper RGB 3600CL17 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 (OS) | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SSD + 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO + 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Leopold FC660C + Logitech G703 | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | LG SL8YG soundbar | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | 64bit Win10 Pro

Rig 2: Intel i7 3960X (6C/12T) | Asus R4E | 16GB Corsair Dom Plat 2133mhz | PowerColor RX VEGA 64 Red Devil | iOppo HA-1 | Philips HTL9100 soundbar | Caselabs M8 | Seasonic X-1250 | Mistel Barocco MD770 RGB + Logitech G502 | Samsung Acer XR341CK 21:9 75Hz Freesync | 64bit Win10 Pro

HTPC Rig: Intel i7 4770K (4C/8T) | MSI Z87 G45 Gaming | 16GB RipJawsZ 1600mhz | Leadtek GTX 1080 Hurricane OC | Tt View 31 | Corsair HX-1050 | Logitech G613 + G603 | Panasonic 65" UHD TV | 64bit Win10 Pro

4 hours ago, GamerDude said:

Excuse me for asking this extremely newb question, but what the heck is Nioh?😖

"Samurai hack and slash Souls clone"

I might not be the best person to describe it but thats the gist of it.

They Basically copied Souls' menus 1:1 and made a relatively fast paced game around that… not a bad idea necessarily, but then they went overboard with "lock on" and nerfed movements. Not to mention the weird upgrade system.

17 hours ago, tikker said:

I don't thin it's bad at all.

I mean, I didnt say its bad, it has a couple of annoyances, especially compared to the pre final versions, but its still a competent game and the combat can be fun, but how did you go about the upgrade  system specifically? To me it was just super tedious, I just wanted to keep playing, but the stuff you get at the smithy was just too confusing, nothing seemed to make sense, or help in any way to actually become stronger. 

Had they ditched the whole thing for a simpler system I surely would have kept playing… 🤷‍♀️

✪Noctua U12S Chromax✪

58 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

but how did you go about the upgrade  system specifically? To me it was just super tedious, I just wanted to keep playing, but the stuff you get at the smithy was just too confusing, nothing seemed to make sense, or help in any way to actually become stronger. 

Upgrades for weapons/armor you mean? Yeah that confused the hell out of me as well. It doesn't help that the game gives basically zero explanation either, so I had to look it all up online. In the end I didn't really bother with the smith though. I just equipped whatever had stronger attack and that seems to have served well. The online consensus also seemed to be all the upgrade stuff isn't really worth it until NG+.

12 minutes ago, tikker said:

Upgrades for weapons/armor you mean? Yeah that confused the hell out of me as well. It doesn't help that the game gives basically zero explanation either, so I had to look it all up online. In the end I didn't really bother with the smith though. I just equipped whatever had stronger attack and that seems to have served well. The online consensus also seemed to be all the upgrade stuff isn't really worth it until NG+.

Ah, I see, that all crossed my mind too, but it just was too much for me, especially coming from MHW where the equipment does make a huge difference, and you notice immediately too, there just wasnt enough feedback (or any at all) in Nioh…

I mean maybe I'll give it another go with Nioh2, but not at *that* price haha… 

✪Noctua U12S Chromax✪

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Ah, I see, that all crossed my mind too, but it just was too much for me, especially coming from MHW where the equipment does make a huge difference, and you notice immediately too, there just wasnt enough feedback (or any at all) in Nioh…

I mean maybe I'll give it another go with Nioh2, but not at *that* price haha… 

Yeah it fell a bit short there. I got quite a bunch of weapons that seemed nice stat wise, but in the end the stronger weapon was simply better. The specific weaknesses were much better applied through talismans than inherent bonuses. Armor (as usual in these) is even more useless as everything will kill you anyway if you mess up once late game.

I would say that Nioh 2 is definitely harder than the first mainly because you can't cheese it as easily as you could the first game.

As for the progression system, it's a lot bigger and more advanced then in Nioh 1. The entire game is basically a bigger, better version of Nioh 1.

EDIT: I have no idea what is this "forced lock on" or "changed camera" people are talking about in this thread. The game literally uses the same engine, mostly same commands, and overall feels like an upgraded version of Nioh 1. The camera is 100% the same as in the first game. You don't have to use the lock on unless you want to, in fact you have to press a button for your character to lock onto enemies. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

Been playing the second game for a couple of hours now. It feels a bit harder than the first one, but mostly because it's tighter and less forgiving. It still has the flaws the first one had: some attacks, even large slow telegraphed ones, still feel like undodgeable instant death homing BS unless you hit dodge the exact microsecond they want you and they stil explain next to nothing about ingame mechanics. There are tutorials, but like the first game they don't go much further than "swords are sharp, used them to cut enemies in half".

Aside from those it feels improved to me. The skill tree is very different. You gain the points by using the weapons it seems, instead of just gaining them in general and choosing what to spend them on and there is some new stuff in there. Stances also feel much better and actually have their uses now. Where in 1 it was just low stance spamming, here I'm actively switching between the stances and getting some nice combos off.

Normal enemies are much tougher as well, especially the Yokai.