Gaming Rodent Advice

Caitymcc

Yellow, I’m trying to surprise my nerd husband with a badass gaming mouse but I know precisely F all about technology in general. Please advise 

It needs to be wireless and price isn’t an issue

what kind of games does he play? 

I think the corsair dark core is pretty great. if he wants to charge it wirelessly they have a qi charging version. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Just now, Caitymcc said:

It needs to be wireless and price isn’t an issue

may i ask what kind of games your husband is playing the most (shooters, mmorpg etc)

also it would be nice to know how large his hands are. may sound stupid, but i have quite big hands and it took me a while to find a mouse that somewhat "fit" me

My Rig / Buildlogs:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️ FROSTBITE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 2x 1TB SATA SSD

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

He mostly plays Valorant, the last mouse I got him was the Logitech g502 and he said it drags. I’ll creep on the Corsair website tho thanks for the help! 

Welcome to the forum! You might want to quote or mention people in your replies. Most people don't check back on threads unless they get a notification that you replied. And they won't get a notification unless you quote them (click the quote button under their post) or mention them (like this: @Caitymcc) in your reply.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

4 minutes ago, Caitymcc said:

He has huge hands!

in that case the corsair dark core would be a good choice as @VioDuskar said, especially as he doesn't like the g502 which would have been my second suggestuion.

the dark core is quite big, and imo corsair makes great peripherals

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

13 minutes ago, LauriHimself said:

may i ask what kind of games your husband is playing the most (shooters, mmorpg etc)

also it would be nice to know how large his hands are. may sound stupid, but i have quite big hands and it took me a while to find a mouse that somewhat "fit" me

He mostly plays Valorant and he has huge hands! 

6 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Welcome to the forum! You might want to quote or mention people in your replies. Most people don't check back on threads unless they get a notification that you replied. And they won't get a notification unless you quote them (click the quote button under their post) or mention them (like this: @Caitymcc) in your reply.

Thank you, I meant it when I said I’m technologically inept 😅

10 minutes ago, LauriHimself said:

in that case the corsair dark core would be a good choice as @VioDuskar said, especially as he doesn't like the g502 which would have been my second suggestuion.

the dark core is quite big, and imo corsair makes great peripherals

Is the little side car dingle thingy to keep his hands from dragging on the pad? 

1 minute ago, Caitymcc said:

Is the little side car dingle thingy to keep his hands from dragging on the pad? 

indeed that's exactly what those are for. it has them on both sides, so for thumb and pinky. no finger drag no more ^^

11 minutes ago, Caitymcc said:

glad we could help 😃

remember the 

39 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

qi charging version

for wireless charching if you want that.

hope your husband likes his new mouse

Apparently he has some deep seated aversion to Corsair 🤦🏻‍♀️ 

1 hour ago, Caitymcc said:

there are some things corsair does well, and some things they don't. i think their mice and keyboards are just fine. 
PSUs and RAM is "your milage may vary" 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

1 hour ago, Caitymcc said:

hm, what about the razer basilisk? i can't speak for it's size, but it has a thumbrest.

and if you're not set on the thumbrest thing the razer viper ultimate is a great shooter mouse.

i have to say that while both razer mice i had were nice to use, both of their left click buttons failed on me after about one and a half year, so there's that. 

the logitech g703 seems to be pretty popular, but i have no experience with that mouse or logitech in general.

other than that steel series, and glorious make pretty decent mice

I have big hands and currently use the dark core and I use the charging mat, I really like it, good preforming mouse

Look for something that's around 80-ish grams or lower as well. Can check here to get a nicer picture what's out there that's good.
https://www.rocketjumpninja.com/top-mice

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

17 hours ago, Caitymcc said:

He mostly plays Valorant and he has huge hands! 

He probably isnt going to like the dark core then, its even heavier than the g502. I agree that corsair mice in general are kinda ew.

Since the g502 is egro i think he palm grips and has big hands i think the deathadder v2 pro. There arent really that many good wireless mice for huge hands/ competetive play.