Is i5 11600k and 3080 good for 1440p gaming?

I know that the i5 bottle necks the 3080 but i think its only bad at 1080p. Is it? LMK what you think. The link to the build is here.

Do you own the hardware already? Are there special deals on to get these two and only these two?

With a good reason I would say these are fine paired together, workload dependant of course. It would need to be something like a special deal that reduces the price etc that makes it hard to pass up (and a CPU upgrade difference too much). I don't think putting the money elsewhere in the build would help unless you had a poor PSU picked out or made compromises on RAM or storage.

Personally I would probably put any money saves right back into the PSU as usually I underspend on them and this would be a good chance to break that habit. I would already be topped out on my monitor in this scenario but could bump RAM to 32GB.

As for the build, I would change the fans to Noctua and no RGB for them and the case, man I hate RGB cases.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Just now, NineEyeRon said:

Do you own the hardware already? Are there special deals on to get these two and only these two?

Personally I would probably put any money saves right back into the PSU as usually I underspend on them and this would be a good chance to break that habit.

No i dont have the hardware yet but i live by a micro center so i can probally get them. and ill put more into psu thanks.

17 minutes ago, BLT_Sharpies said:

No i dont have the hardware yet but i live by a micro center so i can probally get them. and ill put more into psu thanks.

I would get a couple more opinions from the forum and weight them all up against each other first. 

Don’t listen to the first random person who posts…

16 minutes ago, BLT_Sharpies said:

It's going to depend on the games you play; how new they are, etc.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

It's going to depend on the games you play; how new they are, etc.

I want to stream on twitch, fortinte, apex etc. I only want to play at 1440p 144 or 165hz.

3 minutes ago, BLT_Sharpies said:

I want to stream on twitch, fortinte, apex etc. I only want to play at 1440p 144 or 165hz.

Don't rule out the option of a 3070 &/or an 11700K... or be ready to fall back to 10600K/700K.

Keep all six on your radar & see what becomes available...

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

4 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Don't rule out the option of a 3070 &/or an 11700K... or be ready to fall back to 10600K/700K.

Keep all six on your radar & see what becomes available...

ok. Thank you.

i dont get it everyone says bottleneck calculators are trash, yet everyone is somehow also a bottleneck calculator expert themselves…?

That said, i think you should be fine, even if there is a small bottleneck.

4 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

"waste of sand" -GN 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

i dont get it everyone says bottleneck calculators are trash, yet everyone is somehow also a bottleneck calculator expert themselves…?

"waste of sand" -GN 

ok

29 minutes ago, BLT_Sharpies said:

May want to check if Microcenter has 3080's in stock.

But it's a good pairing, buddy uses them with his 49" SuperUltrawide Samsung.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

3 minutes ago, BLT_Sharpies said:

ok

3070 is fine btw, but you'll run into some issues if you want "144" fps, in some titles it'll be more like ~70 (at high settings)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Dedayog said:

May want to check if Microcenter has 3080's in stock.

But it's a good pairing, buddy uses them with his 49" SuperUltrawide Samsung.

ok thank you. I was also looking at a 3070 because its 200 dollars cheaper and can play all the games i like at 165hz 1440p

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

"waste of sand" -GN

I say that an xx700K & a 3070 are a better balance than an xx600K & a 3080...

A 3070 is more than capable for 1440p/144, too.

WHY NOT...?!

"waste of sand" -GN 

I don’t get it either, calculators are likely rubbish. Nothing wrong with a bottleneck unless you are going to extremes or trying to pair a budget CPU with an enthusiast GPU. 

I don’t see any issue pairing a current good gaming CPU with a current upper tier GPU. You will still get more FPS than you wild with a mid tier GPU.

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

3070 is fine btw, but you'll run into some issues if you wan5 "144" fps, in some titles it'be more like ~70 (at high settings)

yes ik. Im fine with that. But im fine with some games having lower fps. I also mainly play fortnite and apex so it should be fine.

Just now, NineEyeRon said:

I don’t get it either, calculators are likely rubbish. Nothing wrong with a bottleneck unless you are going to extremes or trying to pair a budget CPU with an enthusiast GPU. 

I don’t have any issue pairing a current good gaming CPU with a current upper tier GPU.

Ya facts

3070 is fine btw, but you'll run into some issues if you want "144" fps, in some titles it'll be more like ~70 (at high settings)

Fortnite & Apex don't "need" a 3080 for 1440p/144Hz... those are two that OP has quoted as possible titles.

WHY NOT...?!

5 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

A 3070 is more than capable for 1440p/144, too.

depends on the game, MHW *max* settings i get ~100 , same for ROTTR, especially with 2xSMAA shenanigans. : p

1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

Fortnite & Apex don't "need" a 3080 for 1440p/144Hz...

yea, why i said "some" titles. (at high settings) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:
13 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Fortnite & Apex don't "need" a 3080 for 1440p/144Hz...

yea, why i said "some" titles. (at high settings) 

Those two were options given by the thread creator, but yeah... "ball-park it", why not?

WHY NOT...?!

If you're fine with the slightly lower frame rates of an RTX-3070 compared to the 3080, then just buy the i5-11600k and RTX-3070. You will never be able to tell the difference between the i7 and the i5 if you're playing at 1440p with an RTX-3070. Even if you're streaming it won't matter since you should use NVENC on the RTX card to handle that too. Don't consider i7 + 3070. If you're willing to spend more than i5 + 3070, then upgrade to i5 + 3080, you will see a much larger FPS improvement compared to going for i7 + 3070. Your original idea was solid. i5+3080 is a good combo for 1440p gaming.

-> Moved to New Builds and Planning

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, BLT_Sharpies said:

I know that the i5 bottle necks the 3080 but i think its only bad at 1080p. Is it? LMK what you think. The link to the build is here.

You dont understand bottlenecking, it happens all the time. Plus, its so much more dependant on the situation then the actualy hardware. Open up minecraft and make 1,000 command blocks that each spawn 10,000 bees. Turn up your render distance a lot and lower the graphics settings to minimum. The game will crash and your seriously bottlenecking your hardware. Any CPU + GPU can work together as long as they are good enough for what you want to do. 

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now