Issue with clicky Silent Topre switches on Leopold FC660C

Good evening,

I had recently purchased A Leopold FC660C, however I run into a problem where the arrow keys (and the letters X/C) have this peculiar clicky sound when depressed (see video) - this does not happen on the rest of the keyboard. Do you know if this is common on the Silent Topre switches and does it resolve itself with use?

Thanks

17 minutes ago, GeraltFromRivia said:

however I run into a problem where the arrow keys (and the letters X/C) have this peculiar clicky sound when depressed (see video)

Is this brand new? Genuinely sounds like its dirty on the inside of the switch.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Hey there.

8 hours ago, GeraltFromRivia said:

I had recently purchased A Leopold FC660C, however I run into a problem where the arrow keys (and the letters X/C) have this peculiar clicky sound when depressed (see video) - this does not happen on the rest of the keyboard. Do you know if this is common on the Silent Topre switches and does it resolve itself with use?

Observations and speculation, based off my experience with Topre boards (although, I have a REALFORCE R2, not a Leopold FC660C):

• The sound is particularly high-pitched, and seems to follow the upstroke. I don't believe this is normal for Topre boards -- I definitely don't run into this issue with my REALFORCE R2 TKL. Also referred to a Leopold FC660C Sound Test (YouTube) for comparison, and while the arrow keys' upstrokes sound slightly different, the distinctly high-pitched metallic noise is absent.
  • Sound seems metallic, and leads me to believe it's an issue with the springs for those particular keys. Reddit suggests lubing the springs might help, while GeekHack suggests realigning the springs.
  • I'm not confident that the issue will resolve itself with time or prolonged usage.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

FC660C owner here - there's a very slight "click" sound on the down arrow key on my board, if I press it specifically in the top right. It's not quite as high-pitched as what you're experiencing, however.

Other than that, none of the keys exhibit this "clicking" sound.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

My non-factory silenced FC660C was a bit clacky with the arrow keys before I installed silencing rings.

8 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

Genuinely sounds like its dirty on the inside of the switch.

0G1A9518.thumb.jpg.e5217c2165f287f6939e68c8b3f98144.jpg

Topre/electrocapacitive boards works a lot differently than your average switch. The sound is probably the slider slapping against the housing.

10 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

Is this brand new? Genuinely sounds like its dirty on the inside of the switch.

Yeah, the board is brand new. I got it earlier this week. The weird thing is - this is the second FC660C I had the issue on.