Adding a second GPU to rig kills video output

Go to solution Solved by PhilsSoX,

SOLVED

I was making changes in the bios and still nothing was working until i realised non of my settings were saving. Because the Rig was a prebuilt it had some shitty custom Bios. Flashed it with the latest version and changed CSM settings to UEFI only. And it works. 

Thanks for all the help guys (Even if i'm £200 in the hole after the RM1000x purchase 🤣

Anyone got any idea why I get no video output at all when plugging in a second GPU to a rig?

I have two cards in one rig working fine. 2080super and 3060 . I have a prebuilt with a 3070 in and that works fine until I plug in my new 3060ti, then i get no video output. If I only run the 3060ti instead of the 3070 I get no issues, so the new card isn't to blame. Is it a bad PCI Slot on my mobo or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

2 minutes ago, PhilsSoX said:
Anyone got any idea why I get no video output at all when plugging in a second GPU to a rig?

I have two cards in one rig working fine. 2080super and 3060 . I have a prebuilt with a 3070 in and that works fine until I plug in my new 3060ti, then i get no video output. If I only run the 3060ti instead of the 3070 I get no issues, so the new card isn't to blame. Is it a bad PCI Slot on my mobo or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

it might be that those are two different cards

nvidia is very strict with sli with differnt cards

10400f

16 gb 4000

1650 super

z490 msi 

p400a digital

games i play: krunker (sometimes), valorant, and csgo

2 minutes ago, resolve_beta said:

You can't sli or nvlink any of these. I think this is a multi gpu setup for different reasons.

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What is your psu? Model name in detail.

Corsair CV550 which I realise is weak for the two cards, but I get the same result when running the cards on separate PSU's (one 750w) 

Edited by PhilsSoX
additional information

6 minutes ago, resolve_beta said:

Not got them in SLI, just trying to mine from the both. As I say I have one rig that's already running a 2080super and a 3060

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I think this is a multi gpu setup for different reasons.

Correcto, Mining rig 

1 minute ago, PhilsSoX said:

Corsair CV550 which I realise is weak for the two cards, but I get the same result when running the card on a separate 750w PSU 

Dual psu is always kinda hit or miss. A cv550 is not even enough to safely run a 3070 or 2080 super.

Best advise I can give is to start with a proper single GOOD QUALITY high power psu.

Pick at least a b tier unit from the psu tier list of 1000w or more.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

tried one card in any slot?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, jaslion said:

Dual psu is always kinda hit or miss. A cv550 is not even enough to safely run a 3070 or 2080 super.

Best advise I can give is to start with a proper single GOOD QUALITY high power psu.

Pick at least a b tier unit from the psu tier list of 1000w or more.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

Good man. I'll give it a go

Just now, Moonzy said:

tried one card in any slot?

Yeah one card and everything works tickateeboo. Although I haven't tried 1 card in the second PCI slot on its own yet

1 minute ago, PhilsSoX said:

Although I haven't tried 1 card in the second PCI slot on its own yet

you can try doing that

though i dont think your PSU has enough PCIE power for the connections you need? does it?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

7 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

you can try doing that

though i dont think your PSU has enough PCIE power for the connections you need? does it?

For sure not hence why they are trying a dual psu thing but that is always a big hit or miss.

Awesome, you guys have been a big help. I'll get a beefy psu in the post and see how we go. I've just tried and 2nd slot works fine so it's 100% power delivery. Thanks again folks. 

2 minutes ago, PhilsSoX said:

It's going to be close in being able to handle it. It is a VERY good psu but there isn't much headroom. The 3070 + 3060 config probably won't work because of the 3000 series power spiking but the 2080 + 3060 setup might work. Still I'd aim for the 1000w version.

Both cards are underclocked when mining though so power draw should be less than if i was trying to game on them? Alright I'll look at a 1000w, looks like im spending today 😅

On 6/3/2021 at 2:55 PM, jaslion said:

It's going to be close in being able to handle it. It is a VERY good psu but there isn't much headroom. The 3070 + 3060 config probably won't work because of the 3000 series power spiking but the 2080 + 3060 setup might work. Still I'd aim for the 1000w version.

So I bought an RM1000x and it has not solved the issue. Same behaviour. Both cards work fine individually and on either pci slot, but with both I get no video output. I hear the bios beep but it isn't getting to windows because I can't remotely connect to it. Really struggling for ideas now. 

33 minutes ago, PhilsSoX said:

So I bought an RM1000x and it has not solved the issue. Same behaviour. Both cards work fine individually and on either pci slot, but with both I get no video output. I hear the bios beep but it isn't getting to windows because I can't remotely connect to it. Really struggling for ideas now. 

Can you connect it to a screen? Not just remote but actually connect it to a screen to see if it works?

45 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Can you connect it to a screen? Not just remote but actually connect it to a screen to see if it works?

Yup, was primarily doing that. tried remote to see if it had booted 😞

Not sure what CPU or motherboard you are using, but have you tried turning PCIE mode to 3.0 in BIOS if you're 4.0 compatible?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

SOLVED

I was making changes in the bios and still nothing was working until i realised non of my settings were saving. Because the Rig was a prebuilt it had some shitty custom Bios. Flashed it with the latest version and changed CSM settings to UEFI only. And it works. 

Thanks for all the help guys (Even if i'm £200 in the hole after the RM1000x purchase 🤣