Question about the chip shortage

StarsMars

The 3080ti just launched and is already selling for way above MSRP.

Ethereum is down. The cards have limiters on them, even though they will be bypassed.

It's been months since the other cards launched, so I would assume there is some amount of market saturation.

AMD and Intel seem to have stock of CPUs

Is the supply still so low that scalpers are buying them all?

Are they still so profitable that miners are buying them all?

5 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

so I would assume there is some amount of market saturation.

Then you're wrong, no sign of such thing yet.

5 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

Supply is not low, it's demand that is super high.

6 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

Yes. 

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

6 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

Yes to both

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Then you're wrong, no sign of such thing yet.

Supply is not low, it's demand that is super high.

Yes. 

nuts

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yes to both

f

Additionally, it's not just graphics card affected by the shortage. You probably already know by now that even cars are being delayed because of chip shortages, so even if the profitability of mining goes away don't expect GPUs at MSRP soon.

Mining is still profitable, even after the crash, and even with the hash limiters. However, the 30-series shortage isn't all mining related anyways.

The real problem is supply of wafer and VRAM. Specifically, the 3080 Ti is mostly just a 3090 with half the VRAM, which lets Nvidia produce two for every one it would have been able to make previously. As far as wafer goes, Nvidia went with Samsung 8nm instead of the very contained TSMC 7nm, specifically trying to avoid that constraint, and instead ran into Samsung fab being nearly equally constrained due to the demand.

The launch sellout, though, is all scalper driven. These bottom feeding wastes of oxygen parasites grab everything new. I think overall the 3080 Ti will have better availability than previous models, but it may take a bit to even out.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

17 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Yes. 

Miners may still be buying them, but far from "them all"

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

Additionally, it's not just graphics card affected by the shortage. You probably already know by now that even cars are being delayed because of chip shortages, so even if the profitability of mining goes away don't expect GPUs at MSRP soon.

That's technically an entirely different issue. That's 32nm, and it's not really any more constrained than it ever was. The problem for car manufacturers, in particular, is that they vastly underestimated demand, assuming the pandemic would kill car sales. Instead, demand for cars is actually higher than normal, but they've already lost their fab allocation. In other words, it's a self-inflicted wound, caused not by a true shortage, but from shorted orders.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

39 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

rtx4080 it is

36 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

The launch sellout, though, is all scalper driven. These bottom feeding wastes of oxygen parasites grab everything new. I think overall the 3080 Ti will have better availability than previous models, but it may take a bit to even out.

They may as well use be dead at those prices. I'm surprised people are buying them at those prices.

34 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Miners may still be buying them, but far from "them all"

hmm

When it comes to the current GPU market, in addition to all the factors that everyone lists., I think people are forgetting that we're coming out of an economic downturn and stimulus, not just in the US but worldwide, put a lot of cash in hand. During economic downturns, one of the only sectors of the economy that doesn't usually see as much of a negative effect is luxury goods and services. High end GPU's most definitely fall into the category of luxury goods.