RTX 3080Ti Reviews

Deus Voltage

The weird thing about the LTT review is that they compare it to the 3090 only really.

"You are getting 3090 performance for (theoretically) less money!!"

Gamers' Nexus said it well when they noted that the 3090 was extremely bad value to begin with, and they didn't recommend buying that either.

The 3080Ti is only 7%  faster than the 3080, at 71% price increase. That is insanely bad value, even for a xx80 vs xx80ti. The difference between the 980 and 980Ti or 1080 and 1080Ti or even 2080 and 2080Ti was way bigger to justify the big price jump.

Sadly all of this is really theoretical, as the real world pricing... well.. you know.

No one is getting a 3080 for MSRP either, so if by chance you can acquire a 3080ti for MSRP then it actually is a no brainer; if you can get a 3080 for MSRP then that is the even better no brainer, if you will. Of course comparing MSRP to MSRP the 3080ti is a terrible value and shame on Nvidia for the egregious pricing of a product that offers very little over the 3080. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

On 6/7/2021 at 2:46 AM, MegaDave91 said:

No one is getting a 3080 for MSRP either, so if by chance you can acquire a 3080ti for MSRP then it actually is a no brainer; if you can get a 3080 for MSRP then that is the even better no brainer, if you will. Of course comparing MSRP to MSRP the 3080ti is a terrible value and shame on Nvidia for the egregious pricing of a product that offers very little over the 3080. 

Yeah, if there was no shortage they wouldn't have priced it so damn stupidly high for sure. Fuckin greedy move that's blatantly obvious, and we're stuck dealing with it or waiting possibly over a year for it to improve still.

I can't justify paying that, it is just not worth it to me to play games that are becoming repetitive broken and full of virtue signaling and less and less of what I want and more "politically correct" crap. I had $5.7k saved up for a new rig but last year I just straight up switched hobbies. Did you guys know you can get a fast turbo JDM car for about the same amount of money as they want you to pay to play games?

My main disagreement with Linus's take is his argument that "If you buy it at MSRP it's a great deal!" No shit, a hard boiled egg in a PCI-e slot would be a better deal than buying a scalped 3080. But the issue is that you're not going to find a 3080Ti for MSRP. We don't live in a magical world where every other GPU is scalped to shit and the RTX 3080Ti is just there, unaffected, at $1200. His entire argument falls apart when you bring it into actual reality. If we were in a position where the 3080Ti wasn't scalped, it's likely that the 3080 wouldn't be scalped either, and the 3080 would still be the better buy. Unless through a program like the Verified Actual Gamer program, there is no way the RTX 3080Ti would be fine, and the 3080 wouldn't.

And the positioning of this card is weird as hell. If you are already spending upwards of $1200 on a GPU, you are likely the person to spend $1500 on the 3090. This card is for nobody. The "poor people who should not be complaining about a card they're not going to buy" aren't going to buy it because its a terrible deal compared to the 3080, and for the people who have the money to buy the 3080Ti, they would most likely want to flex with a 3090 instead. Like who is this card for? Maybe if this card was $800 or $900 it would have a purpose, but for $1200, most "gamers" are just going to buy a Ryzen 9 and a 3080, assuming conditions allow it.

On 6/2/2021 at 11:54 PM, HelpfulTechWizard said:

TBH I don't. 

I actually thing Linus is somewhat right.

At the power of a 3090, Nvidia is lifting  some load on a component that there is a shortage of. Now, is it too expensive? Yeah. Is Nvidia making much more off a 3080ti than a 3080? 100% yes. Is the crypto limiter Bs? Yeah, I'm glad Linus pointed out that shit.

And the only thing wrong with the 3070ti (which is the one that makes the most sense, 100% wrong with that in the title there), is that it has the mining limiter. For 100$ more, you get bassically the full day ga104, as well as g6x instead of normal g6. It's fine by me there.

I think nvidia is positioning 3090 as the ultimate Prosumer card, while the 3080ti is the ultimate gamer card. If they tacked on the quadro name to the 3090, there wouldn't be so much outcry over the 3080tie. It is like with Quadro's. You do get slightly better gaming performanc, but the amount you pay extra is absurd. The price gap b/w the 3090 and and 3080ti is really small.  The 3090, offers a much better perf/dollar upgrade over the 3080ti. Something that quadro's or titans never do.

The Quadro 3090 also would've given really good performance, features and other stuff for the price, as compared to other quadros

TL;DR Too many halo products.

16 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

If they tacked on the quadro name to the 3090, there wouldn't be so much outcry over the 3080tie.

It's amazing how many folks seem to forget NVidia's usual product release pattern.  As it turns out: the 3080Ti falls right in line with it.  The 2000-series broke that pattern, and NVidia is returning to it:

Release the low, medium range (3060, 3070, etc), and a "fake" high-end GPU (3080), along with the Titan class card (3090).  About a year or so later, give or take, release a "halo" gamer card that's pretty close to the aforementioned Titan class (3080Ti) along with a few others in between.

They did with the 700 series, the 900 series, and the 1000 series cards.  More or less: followed that same pattern.

So to your point, I don't think "Quadro 3090" or any such thing would be the right move.  Just call it what it is: Titan.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

To be fair to me, I've never even considered buying or even really looked at current gen GPUs until now. Was running a 660 oc on my desktop for ages, didn't have one for a fair while, then built one with a refurb 1080.

I knew the first go at raytracing would be meh so basically ignored the 20 series, I also had no money anyhow. 

Then new ryzen comes out, I upgrade my 4770 to actually modern components, first time every buying something on launch day as well, it was super exciting and actually no massive line around the block where I was.

I was so excited to have a shiny new GPU with shiny new reflection technology and be able to say I had a properly modern system but it feels.lole at this rate the next line of ryzen processors will launch before I can manage to get a graphics card.

At least the refurb 1080 is holding up well in terms of being stable and not glitchy. 

I still remember paying like $200 for a VooDoo II card in '98 and that was brought down from like $300 initially with buyer's market conditions, how things have changed!  Everyone got so pissed off over Linus' 3080 Ti review lol.  It just really sucks to need a card right now no matter how you look at these card prices.  The huge recent uptick in demand plus Si shortage plus lack of options/competition equals this situation. I finally caved and bought a 3080 Ti from StockX for like a $400 premium.  I just got so sick of spending my time trying online with continuously disappointing results and going 0 for 30 in Newegg shuffles.  I can't afford to waste a whole day camping at MC hoping to land one.  Like most ppl, I work for a living and the $$/time lost trying that strategy would equal the scalper premium anyways.  I tried so hard not to do this and contribute to the problem in my small way by paying the inflated price.  But after today's 3070 Ti launch, I finally succumbed to the reality that the only two options were to wait for my luck to change or simply go without until like 1st qtr 2022.  Its been 6 months of bad Newegg "luck" and seemingly not-quick-enough mouse skills.  The time I've spent trying for MSRP alone is worth $400 to me at this point.  I am just relieved to be done with this finally.  I will try to sell my perfectly adequate 2070 Super to a miner and recoup some $$, or maybe sell it for what its actually worth in a normal market to an actual gamer that cannot afford to spend 50-100% over sticker, maybe earn back some karma points...I just hope someday soon the market changes to a point that Nvidia has no choice but to bring prices back to something reasonable for top tier cards and has to explain all this to the board, maybe then they will hire ppl that care enough to actually say the proper names of their products during trade show keynotes.  

1 hour ago, RooTs57 said:

I finally caved and bought a 3080 Ti from StockX for like a $400 premium. 

Only 400$ above MRSP? Only ones I can see are 2K USD +.

On 6/2/2021 at 8:05 AM, Stahlmann said:

All the recent games i've played in the last few weeks are mainly ray-traced.

Metro Exodus Enhanced

Resident Evil Village

Control

Cyberpunk

I'd say we're at a point now where at least for AAA games it's becoming a standard.

That's just four games and only 2 of them came out in the last year

25 minutes ago, thechinchinsong said:

The EVGA models are selling for as low as $1650 on StockX (XC3 Hybrid anyway), still a bit ridiculous, but if you are dead set on one right now, it may be the best option in the US with a decent level of buyer protection.  I'm just hoping a non-Ti doesn't show up at my door and the StockX inspector knows the difference.

On 6/9/2021 at 2:33 AM, staticpage said:

I can't justify paying that, it is just not worth it to me to play games that are becoming repetitive broken and full of virtue signaling and less and less of what I want and more "politically correct" crap. I had $5.7k saved up for a new rig but last year I just straight up switched hobbies. Did you guys know you can get a fast turbo JDM car for about the same amount of money as they want you to pay to play games?

if you don't want political correctness, just play games made before 2012

4 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

That's just four games and only 2 of them came out in the last year

Like i said: All of the games I played. So i was talking about my experience.

I don't specifically look out for RTX or DLSS when i decide what games i play, and yet most of the games that i do play have these features.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 6/10/2021 at 7:00 PM, thechinchinsong said:

One other bit of info on StockX electronics purchases, I was just chatting with the online rep and apparently they will not accept any electronics (including GPUs obviously) from sellers that are not still in the original factory sealed condition.  This is better than rolling the dice with a eBay purchase, and the prices seem to be cheaper overall by at least a couple hundred dollars.  Also, I bought my card on Wednesday the 9th and it has already been received by StockX, verified authentic, and I have my tracking number.  I will probably get it mid-next week.

Update: Received my 3080 Ti from StockX today, the whole process from checkout to delivery only took 3 business days!  Definitely a brand new, unused card, I even inspected the PCIe x16 slot contacts and the PCIe power connector latches for tiny surface scratches or any signs it had been installed before.  Apart from over paying, my buying experience has been very good so far.

20 hours ago, thechinchinsong said:

In France, a computer store sells ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3080 Ti TRINITY for 1,199 € ( = MRSP in France) but the buyers must wait when it will be available. And when it's available, the buyers must buy it very fast because the stocks are very limit...

And the prices increase bit by bit on other bands & models in this store. More expensive is ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 Ti O12G for 2,399.95 €.

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)

1 hour ago, X-System said:

In France, a computer store sells ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3080 Ti TRINITY for 1,199 € ( = MRSP in France) but the buyers must wait when it will be available. And when it's available, the buyers must buy it very fast because the stocks are very limit...

And the prices increase bit by bit on other bands & models in this store. More expensive is ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 Ti O12G for 2,399.95 €.

The ROG Strix 3080 Ti is insanely priced at MSRP here in the USA at $2,000 USD, they can't be that much better, I don't get it...