RTX 3080Ti Reviews

Deus Voltage
On 6/2/2021 at 4:08 PM, jaslion said:

It is there but I meant as a noticeable visual difference. We've played both control and are now playing village. We just can't see a difference between turned on or off really when we play them and tend to turn it off if we notice the 2080 struggling when stuff goes down if it is on to basically notice no difference when playing.

That is what I meant with not being a must have feature. It is there but there is no real need for it yet as devs got so good at faking things. I do love it for rendering tho as that is a massive help hence the for games part.

only 2 games i played with raytracing so far (afaik)

Warzone: makes everything look very shiny, like a candy store, and wet, its just really really awkward for a "war game" especially if  its not raining. (1/10)

ROTTR: an unusual implementation, im not even sure it even uses "Nvidia" raytracing, but holy smokes they went all out with this one, its not overly shiny, colors stay muted and it seems mostly texture related (10/10)

Eh, Im just saying you *should* be able to see a difference (if its worth it is another  question, probably not in most cases I'd wager)

Edit: yeah its not a "must have" feature , but what is really, for example "AO" its hardly noticable in most games, but it still makes a game look better overall  (if implemented right) But still wouldnt  probably notice when it was turned off, unlike for example AA, which *is* a must have imo. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

only 2 games i played with raytracing so far (afaik)

Warzone: makes everything look very shiny, like a candy store, and wet, its just really really awkward for a "war game" especially if  its not raining. (1/10)

ROTTR: an unusual implementation, im not even sure it even uses "Nvidia" raytracing, but holy smokes they went all out with this one, its not overly shiny, colors stay muted and it seems mostly texture related (10/10)

Eh, Im just saying you *should* be able to see a difference (if its worth it is another  question, probably not in most cases I'd wager)

I've seen rise of the tomb raider before and ray tracing with the snow does look noticeably better but other than that nothing really stood out if I played it on the tv pc with the 2080 or my vega desktop.

52 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I've seen rise of the tomb raider before and ray tracing with the snow does look noticeably better but other than that nothing really stood out if I played it on the tv pc with the 2080 or my vega desktop.

its rather subtle most of the time, Im also just noticing it makes a huge difference if other settings are on, especially tesselation and HBAO+

Spoiler

20210604_100912.thumb.jpg.242fea4327016ae621c980ef2577c6ab.jpg

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Updated. I hate to do this but I think light needs to be shed on this issue. Seems like Linus is not only doubling down on this, but he disagreed with Steve from GN by saying:

"I don't know how much used hardware Steve has actually ever bought in his life, but the way that it works is....... (goes on to explain how it works in his view) I really don't know what he is basing that on honestly."

Time stamp: 16:19

Spoiler

Linus, love ya man but this ain't it chief.

13 minutes ago, Deus Voltage said:

Updated. I hate to do this but I think light needs to be shed on this issue. Seems like Linus is not only doubling down on this, but he disagreed with Steve from GN by saying:

"I don't know how much used hardware Steve has actually ever bought in his life, but the way that it works is....... (goes on to explain how it works in his view) I really don't know what he is basing that on honestly."

Hide contents

Is anyone going to be really surprised that this is Linus' take, though? Steve is right, and looking at prices from scalpers he has the numbers to boot. Used hardware isn't the same as reselling new hardware especially with the current market. Bad take is bad.

On 6/3/2021 at 10:48 AM, jasonvp said:

For those of us that exclusively play 4K at high frame rates, this card's a no-brainer.  I'd be quite happy if there was some way other than camping outside of BestBuy (meaning the FEs) to get one, but thus far they're not even allowing online sales of it yet.  And I just don't have the time to play the "Now In Stock" game with the GPUs as I kinda have this real job thing I have to do each day.

I've paired a 3080Ti with my 48" oled and it works pretty damn well!! 🙂

Tbf the 6800/6900XT's work just as well, just wanted the better RT/DLSS performance.

On 6/2/2021 at 7:33 PM, Stahlmann said:

Well you can't play games with any of them when you want to buy something right now...

you underestimate the power of my samsung smart fridge, my friend

Linus' take does not make any sense. He does not provide any data on the production of both Samsung 8nm process and Micron's GDDR6X memory. If the GPU core is way more demanding than GDDR6X modules, his claim that one 3090 can make 2 3080 Ti is just ridiculous.

Linus' take was weird. I think I know what he means but I don't know why he meant it in such a way.

Yes, the 3080ti is a good value vs 3090 for gaming. But it's absolutely terrible value vs 3080. So why does he keep comparing it to the 3090? It makes no sense. The performance difference vs 3080 is within 10%.

It's not a halo product... 3090 is a halo product. And if you're going to spend $1200 (in a world of MSRP give or take) on a card just because you can afford it then you may as well ditch out the extra $300 and get the 3090 as you obviously don't care that it's just within 10% from the 3080.

Then there is another reason why 3080ti is so weird. It's basically "worthless" for gaming when compared to 3080 as it's barely any better from the 3080 and you pay significantly more for it and it's also worthless for 3D art and developers because it's limited by the 12GB of VRAM. So again, the 3090 actually makes way more sense and if you don't need the 24GB of VRAM just get the 3080... Why spend that much more for a 3080ti?

I can see the 3080ti being worth it if it kept the 24GB of VRAM from the 3090 and only the die was cut down a bit but then there would be little to no point of getting the 3090 besides of the "I want the best of the best" people.

I really don't get it. Am I missing something?

Seems just like NVIDIA needed a product that has fat margins since it will sell out either way, they cut down on cooler, VRAM, probably can produce way more of these than the 3090's as well but keep most of the price from the 3090. Which is fine for NVIDIA, don't get me wrong.

But for consumers? This card would be way less popular than 3090 or 3080 if we had no shortages, it will sell now just because of it's existence, not because it's actually "good".

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

Then there is another reason why 3080ti is so weird. It's basically "worthless" for gaming when compared to 3080 as it's barely any better from the 3080 and you pay significantly more for it and it's also worthless for 3D art and developers because it's limited by the 12GB of VRAM. So again, the 3090 actually makes way more sense and if you don't need the 24GB of VRAM just get the 3080... Why spend that much more for a 3080ti?

For gaming it is closer to a cheap 3090 than an expensive 3080. And that's assuming MSRP mean anything right now. It doesn't. I agree availability is possibly the biggest factor in buying a card right now. I did try for a 3080 Ti on launch. Models for MSRP did exist, but not long enough for me to click the buy button. At £1049 it is about 46% more cost than the 3070 I managed to get at £720, and is about 70% higher raw performance. Gaming performance will vary depending on more complex factors. Perf/$ is mostly nonsense. A product either does what you want it to do or it doesn't. Of course pricing does still matter, it is affordable or not. A high perf/$ low end product is still a low end product and will not perform. To be fair, a 3080 would have been good enough for me, and I'd rather have one at launch pricing. But that's practically impossible and unlikely to return while it is still relevant.

In a quick look, 6700 XTs are still generally available from new in UK. Pricing is £800 upwards. That makes the 3080 Ti seem like a bargain.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I'm calling BS the way he defended his stance in the WAN show.

It's more likely they wrote the whole review with the intended price to be 1000.

If he had known the price to be 1200, would writing the review in this similar tone? I highly doubt it.

It sounded like in order to push the video out early, instead of rewriting the review after they'd found out the price was 20% higher,, they just change the very last part about the price, and put a sad Linus face with a sad trombone.

Can I say their review had been compromised because they're chasing views/ being the first one to post???

I think the thing that disappointed me the most about Linus's take was the idea that nvidia's recommended pricing was meaningless. As if that isn't always the targets of huge advertising campaigns and company driven hype. It's literally the thing that gets normies into the stores in the first place.

Plus 980ti was a shockingly good value (literally double the perf for double the cost of a 970), 1080ti was decent... entire 20 series was a disaster... 

The idea that shit manufacturers say is irrelevant because the market is the final arbiter is really dumb and anti-consumer honestly.

But yes, if you can get this product at msrp, and were going to buy a gpu anyways, comparing to street prices, well naturally that's pretty decent. You could say that about any gpu honestly right now. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, perseides said:

I'm calling BS the way he defended his stance in the WAN show.

It's more likely they wrote the whole review with the intended price to be 1000.

If he had known the price to be 1200, would writing the review in this similar tone? I highly doubt it.

It sounded like in order to push the video out early, instead of rewriting the review after they'd found out the price was 20% higher,, they just change the very last part about the price, and put a sad Linus face with a sad trombone.

Can I say their review had been compromised because they're chasing views/ being the first one to post???

Well, Linus cannot be the first one to post review as NDA requires every media posting their review no earlier than a specific time.

35 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

No one knows or cares

This pretty much sums it up @RejZoR.

GPU's, even 3080's ARE available - either from stores or scalpers (new). They are just SUPER expensive. Like.. really really expensive.

You either pay the price, or don't - that's sadly how "simple" it is. I have personally already accepted the way things currently are and decided to pay up 😕. Yeah, it sucks, since I too have been waiting for almost a year to be able to buy a new GPU, but it is how it is.. Gamers complaining doesn't change the fact that e.g. Nvidia is making a sh*t load of $$$ right now, so yeah - they couldn't give a bigger sh*t 😄 

44 minutes ago, gal-m said:

This pretty much sums it up @RejZoR.

GPU's, even 3080's ARE available - either from stores or scalpers (new). They are just SUPER expensive. Like.. really really expensive.

You either pay the price, or don't - that's sadly how "simple" it is. I have personally already accepted the way things currently are and decided to pay up 😕. Yeah, it sucks, since I too have been waiting for almost a year to be able to buy a new GPU, but it is how it is.. Gamers complaining doesn't change the fact that e.g. Nvidia is making a sh*t load of $$$ right now, so yeah - they couldn't give a bigger sh*t 😄 

It's also one of reasons why RTX 3080 is so much cheaper than RTX 2080Ti was. I bet NVIDIA damn well knew NO ONE is going to sell them at the "MSRP". What's the point of announcing a 699€ graphic card that's 2x faster than RTX 2080Ti and only way you can buy one is at 900€ and above. I've literally not seen it anywhere near price it was announced. And those that were listed as such were pretty much just placeholders on launch day. Sellers didn't have any stock of those, they just posted them as it was advertised by vendors.

I think Linus completely miss the point of why the 3080ti is a shameless cash grab. He completely ignored the effect on 3080 and 3080 gamers.

When the 3080 was launched, the demand for 3080 was and still sky high. Compare to 3090, which no sane person should buy unless you need the vram, the demand of 3090 is a lot less than 3080.

The 3080ti is base on the same die as 3080 and 3090, we can safe to say that every 3080ti could have been a 3080 if 3080ti don't exist, and the 3080 also uses fewer GDDR6X chips compare to 3080ti.

The existent of 3080ti would certainly reduce how many 3080 could be made, which reduces the supply of 3080.

The demand for 3080 is still sky high, and the 3080ti doesn't make sense for most 3080 gamers because of the high price.

3080ti don't reduce the demand for 3080 much if at all, but it certainly reduces the supply of 3080.

Nvidia can sell 3080to for more money, and sell less 3080 which makes less money.

The 3080ti don't help the situation of the 3080 shortage, but Nvidia can make more money.

I think It makes sense that people are mad and say that the 3080ti is a cash grab.

I agree that the 3080ti has better value than the 3090, and 3090 buyers could go for a 3080ti.

But there are a lot more people wanting a 3080 than people wanting a 3090, and the 3080ti not only doesn't help but also very likely to reduce the supply of 3080.

The 3080ti itself done nothing wrong, if the situation is normal, people won't be mad at the 3080ti and just simply go for a 3080 instead.

However, because of the gpu shortage, and the 3080ti are very likely to worsen the 3080 shortage, which makes people mad.

It just Linus completely misses that, still thinking the 3080ti in a normal world.

2 hours ago, KaiFung said:

The 3080ti itself done nothing wrong, if the situation is normal, people won't be mad at the 3080ti and just simply go for a 3080 instead.

No people still be mad, and for very good reason.

Even if supply was ok, much like the 2080ti the 3080ti MSRP is simply way to expensive, by near 2x.

2 decades of top tier gaming cards has the price point set at roughly $700 when taking into account inflation. To go this far above that and call it OK is absurd.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

yep, even if you completely ignore the scalper pricing and look solely at MSRP, £600-700 used to get you a top tier card.

Now that barely gets you mid range.

5 hours ago, KaiFung said:

the 3080ti doesn't make sense for most 3080 gamers because of the high price.

and this shows you missed the point Linus made. The 3080, is also, a high price. In the real world, both the 3080 and ti cost roughly the same, so why not get the better of the two?

On 6/5/2021 at 8:38 AM, Deus Voltage said:

Reveal hidden contents

GN really showed they have no serious understanding of how products get priced, nor the current GPU market conditions. Comparing fictional prices (msrp), which don't actually exists and complaining that fictional price B is higher than fictional price A is childish and idiotic.

These GPUs are being sold far higher than the increased MSRP, its clear Nvidia isn't overpricing!

2 hours ago, SolarNova said:

No people still be mad, and for very good reason.

Even if supply was ok, much like the 2080ti the 3080ti MSRP is simply way to expensive, by near 2x.

2 decades of top tier gaming cards has the price point set at roughly $700 when taking into account inflation. To go this far above that and call it OK is absurd.

2 decades ago what was price of 20oz coke compared to now

RTX3080Ti TUF for 13000 kr / NOK or in american money about 1560$ compared to the 2000$'s~ for all other cards..

Compelled to get a 30-series now.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

1 hour ago, pas008 said:

2 decades ago what was price of 20oz coke compared to now

Missing the point here i think.

I did post on the 1st page the last 2 decades of pricing for the top tier cards. Take a gander.

The price, with inflation, doesn't change 'much', even as recent as the 1080ti. So no, i'm not specifically referring to single card from the year 2000, i'm referring to ALL top end cards (by Nvidia) SINCE 2000.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

59 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Missing the point here i think.

I did post on the 1st page the last 2 decades of pricing for the top tier cards. Take a gander.

The price, with inflation, doesn't change 'much', even as recent as the 1080ti. So no, i'm not specifically referring to single card from the year 2000, i'm referring to ALL top end cards (by Nvidia) SINCE 2000.

Prices are increasing on everything

Top tier products have increased by far in all industries