RTX 3080Ti Reviews

Deus Voltage
6 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Cyberpunk still looks awesome without ray-tracing. I'm just saying the game has the most noticeable improvement.

The "fading" is very subjective. As ray-tracing is inherently more realistic than rasterized lighting it helps a lot with immersion.

Immersing in Cyberpunk? HOW?

I like cute animal pics.

Mac Studio | Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3090

Watched some other reviews and holy shit, yeah, I hadn't really remembered that msrp on the 3080 was 799 (or whatever it was).

$1200 for the performance increase and 2 gigs more of ram, holy shit. I never paid attention to gpu launches before but I have a feeling ti cards were a more significant jump in performance before this gen. 

Yikes.

Kinda feel like Linus's review missed the mark, and I won't excuse him for not knowing final pricing. If every other review, some of whom are only 1 or 2 man teams, can finish up their review video after pricing is announced, LTT with all their staff can do it too. LTT has the largest audience of any tech channel, and I feel that someone who isn't as techy as people here could get confused and somehow think the 3080Ti is a great deal, when it really doesn't offer any reason to buy it over the 3080 or the 6900XT.

5 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

3090, 3080TI and 3080 use GA102. Each tier is slightly more shaved down. 3070ti uses GA104 with the 3070 using a shaved down GA104.

Thanks for the correction, I should've checked before I posted. The 3070Ti using a GA104 that isn't shaved down means Nvidia likely had these in production for a while. But I think Nvidia could be making more 3080's out of the GA102 die, getting existing orders fulfilled looks a lot better as a consumer than Nvidia putting out more versions while they can't even meet the demand.

33 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Thanks for the correction, I should've checked before I posted. The 3070Ti using a GA104 that isn't shaved down means Nvidia likely had these in production for a while. But I think Nvidia could be making more 3080's out of the GA102 die, getting existing orders fulfilled looks a lot better as a consumer than Nvidia putting out more versions while they can't even meet the demand.

Yes and no. They're going to sell for the same reason the 3090 sells. People have to have the biggest and best. If more people are trying to buy 3080tis, it might actually make 3080s somewhat easier to get. Not that they'll be obtainable regardless

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

35 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

If more people are trying to buy 3080tis, it might actually make 3080s somewhat easier to get.

No the 3080 Ti will make the 3080 harder to get. Before if a die was not good enough to be a 3090 it would have to be cut down to a 3080. Now at least some of the ones that did make cut for 3090s will make it for 3080 Ti that would have been a 3080. Also if the shortage is for other components, like substrates or packaging components that would reduce the supply of 3080s as well.

I'm fine with the price to performance thing if you can get one at that msrp

Supply and demand is tough right now in the chip area 

Steel prices are ridiculous wood prices are ridiculous

Fuck a 12pk of coke is ridiculous at gas stations phones and tablets are crazy too

seems like inflation/pandemic/printing money/etc shit is gone too far

Everything going out of control in pricing

It's like a dollar turned into a peso (no offense)

I can buy a pretty sweet motorbike with 1200$ in Indonesia, so that's a pass for me dawg.

Not that I have the money anyway

Sigh, so aside from the usual fisting we get in Canada we get a month long delay that will mean less inventory for us too I'm sure, and bundles. Uhg.

Can't seem to find anything for newegg.

RTX 3080 isn't that far behind in performance really and those extra 2GB of VRAM won't really make a difference for me at 1440p. I have no regrets really, especially knowing actually being able to buy one will be almost impossible. I'm gonna be a happy camper with my RTX 3080 for many years to come.

For those of us that exclusively play 4K at high frame rates, this card's a no-brainer.  I'd be quite happy if there was some way other than camping outside of BestBuy (meaning the FEs) to get one, but thus far they're not even allowing online sales of it yet.  And I just don't have the time to play the "Now In Stock" game with the GPUs as I kinda have this real job thing I have to do each day.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

5 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

For those of us that exclusively play 4K at high frame rates, this card's a no-brainer. 

That's the main reason I'm looking at trying for one. I have a 3070 and 2080 Ti, but I see those as 4k60 class cards and they struggle at times. 3080 or above is the sweet spot. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

13 hours ago, n0stalghia said:

Immersing in Cyberpunk? HOW?

For me the game isn't even that bugyy. Played throught the game once at launch and only found 1 bug that didn't let me finish a side quest, otherwise no major bugs. Played through the game a 2nd time a few weeks ago. Some bugs were still there, but a lot has been fixed.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 hours ago, porina said:

I have a 3070 and 2080 Ti, but I see those as 4k60 class cards and they struggle at times. 3080 or above is the sweet spot. 

I've found it depends heavily on the games played.  I have two 2080Ti cards in SLI and the older games that support SLI (see: Battlefield, et al) run 4K/140 easy-peazy.  After Ubi re-did R6 Siege's old Anvil Next engine with Vulkan, it can crank out 4K/140 on a single 2080Ti, with AA and AO disabled; you're running in 4K, you don't need either of those.  CoD MW/Warzone's DLSS seems to keep a single 2080Ti "sweating" in 4K, but it maintains a >120FPS rate as long as, again: kill AO (AO is always the deal-breaker).  However, with the recent discovery of their DLSS being bugged and sight pictures being off due to it, DLSS is no bueno for that game until fixed.  Without DLSS, Warzone on a single 2080Ti in 4K is.... hard.

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Uhg, yup and everything is gone even though add to cart is an option and it says it's available for backorder. Should have fucking stayed up. Then again 1600 for a gpu is fucking stupid, but they will also be impossible to find for a year at least I'm sure.

Non founders ones are even worse, uhg. I bet scalper scum already have ebay listings up.

Aside from my mouse and keyboard my refurbished 1080 is the only thing that's not current gen/considerably high end. I just want to experience  a basically no compromises gaming experience for once.

And man I fucking hate best buy most of the time, having resellers in their website and fighting to show stuff in stock in actual stores is such a PITA

2 hours ago, jasonvp said:

I've found it depends heavily on the games played.

Very much so. Two recent and ongoing titles I play include Yakuza Like a Dragon. 4k even dropping down to High does not do consistent 60fps. G-sync takes good care of it, but it would be nice to be that bit smoother. The other title is FFXIV. At 4k Max preset, I get average framerates in 70's which should be ok. I actually locked my 1440p system to 72fps (half 144) when playing that to save on GPU heat, but on the 4k system it is noticeably less smooth. Enough to be distracting. Might be some frame pacing thing.

At the other extreme there's Cities Skylines. That drops well below 60fps at times, but I don't feel it. Different play style.

with AA and AO disabled; you're running in 4K, you don't need either of those

Have to admit I've not tried turning off AA, and need to look up what AO is.

Oh, on the 3080 Ti sales today, with sufficient application of F5, I did see the add to cart button twice. On both occasions, it was gone before I could press it.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

10 minutes ago, porina said:

Very much so. Two recent and ongoing titles I play include Yakuza Like a Dragon. 4k even dropping down to High does not do consistent 60fps. G-sync takes good care of it, but it would be nice to be that bit smoother. The other title is FFXIV. At 4k Max preset, I get average framerates in 70's which should be ok. I actually locked my 1440p system to 72fps (half 144) when playing that to save on GPU heat, but on the 4k system it is noticeably less smooth. Enough to be distracting. Might be some frame pacing thing.

At the other extreme there's Cities Skylines. That drops well below 60fps at times, but I don't feel it. Different play style.

Have to admit I've not tried turning off AA, and need to look up what AO is.

Oh, on the 3080 Ti sales today, with sufficient application of F5, I did see the add to cart button twice. On both occasions, it was gone before I could press it.

It usually stands for ambient occlusion. I’ve no idea why anyone would think 4K means you can turn that off. You’ll also still need AA, most likely. 

I just want to get something 3070 or higher before my second 980ti dies completely... already dropping a good 30-50% performance when the first one died was hard enough (yes, I do have games that support SLI and that actually stressed stuff)...

I'm willing to pay 1500 for a 3090 atm. I'm happy to pay 1200 for a 3080ti. I'd fucking love to pay 600 for a 3080. 

I'm not willing to pay 1600 for a 6800XT when my monitor doesn't support freesync (but does g-sync). Plus closest real tech store is a 3 hour drive away. ffs.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

It usually stands for ambient occlusion. I’ve no idea why anyone would think 4K means you can turn that off. You’ll also still need AA, most likely. 

Mathematically AA is always required considering the pixel level output, but might not be if apparent pixel spacing is close enough to be well below visual acuity. I'm playing on a large 4k TV so it might make it less likely I can downgrade settings than if I was using a much smaller monitor.

18 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

You’ll also still need AA, most likely. 

No, you simply don't.  Anyone that runs AA with a 4K display is literally wasting GPU cycles and lowering their frame rate.

Just now, jasonvp said:

No, you simply don't.  Anyone that runs AA with a 4K display is literally wasting GPU cycles and lowering their frame rate.

Ehhhhhhhhhh that is way too strong a statement. AA is not made equal, and game engines are not either. Plus without knowing how close they are to the display with FOV/PPI, saying anything is automatically wasteful is excessive.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

4 hours ago, jasonvp said:

Actually, you simply do. I don’t know why this misconception is still doing the rounds. 

4 hours ago, jasonvp said:

eh, I'd say that its' probably pointless to have AA turned on when running 4K on a 24"-27" monitor because if the game is actually running at 4K you won't even notice it. Bigger monitors, sure, you'll probably notice it if pointed out.

I usually turn AA off because I don't like the the blur it brings.