Corsair RM850X vs Seasonic Focus GX 850W

Hi!

I'm looking into building a new PC and I'm wondering what 850W PSU should I choose. After a lot of research and going through prices and availability I've narrowed it down to the Corsair RM850X or the Seasonic Focus GX 850W. The PSU will power an overclocked Ryzen 9 5900X and an overclocked RTX3080. I have a couple of queries to clarify before placing the order.

• From my research it looks like some Corsair RMx PSUs are manufactured by CWT, which is a bit inferior when compared to Seasonic. Is this correct?
  • Checking out the PSU tier list (https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/it looks like the Focus series had some issues with tripping due to power spikes from the RTX 3000 series. Does this concern the whole Focus series, or just the PX models?
  • This might sound dumb, but is there a difference between RMx 2018 Black vs RMx 2018 White? From the tier list it looks like the 2018 white model is an A+ Tier PSU. I can get both and the 2021 model (if that's better).

Thank you!

22 minutes ago, SCBbestof said:

• From my research it looks like some Corsair RMx PSUs are manufactured by CWT, which is a bit inferior when compared to Seasonic. Is this correct?

Tom's been checking out my Funny board

17 minutes ago, SCBbestof said:

CWT, which is a bit inferior when compared to Seasonic. Is this correct?

Not at all, for multitude of reasons. All that Seasonic worshiping is just a marketing.

23 minutes ago, SCBbestof said:

Checking out the PSU tier list (https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/it looks like the Focus series had some issues with tripping due to power spikes from the RTX 3000 series. Does this concern the whole Focus series, or just the PX models?

With AMD Vega actually, and older Focus revisions (Focus Gold, Focus Plus Gold, Focus Plus Platinum), not the new respective GM/GX/PX 'rebrands'. There were some reports of Focus PSUs not quite working with RTX3080/3090 but they're too anecdotal to paint a picture, although if there are alternatives (such as RM-x) i'd refrain from buying Focus for RTX3080/3090 anyway.

25 minutes ago, SCBbestof said:

This might sound dumb, but is there a difference between RMx 2018 Black vs RMx 2018 White? From the tier list it looks like the 2018 white model is an A+ Tier PSU. I can get both and the 2021 model (if that's better).

I'm still not quite sure but it looks like the only difference is the color of the casing. RM-x 2021 is technically better but it's somewhat less quiet, but 2018 was really, ridiculously quiet, and 2021 is still not loud really so i'd just get cheapest of the two.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

8 minutes ago, Juular said:

Not at all, for multitude of reasons. All that Seasonic worshiping is just a marketing.

With AMD Vega actually, and older Focus revisions (Focus Gold, Focus Plus Gold, Focus Plus Platinum), not the new respective GM/GX/PX 'rebrands'. There were some reports of Focus PSUs not quite working with RTX3080/3090 but they're too anecdotal to paint a picture, although if there are alternatives (such as RM-x) i'd refrain from buying Focus for RTX3080/3090 anyway.

I'm still not quite sure but it looks like the only difference is the color of the casing. RM-x 2021 is technically better but it's somewhat less quiet, but 2018 was really, ridiculously quiet, and 2021 is still not loud really so i'd just get cheapest of the two.

Thank you for clarifying this! 

If the RMx is sure to not trip I would consider it. The price is identical between the RM850X 2018 and the Focus GX equivalent.

Funny enough, I am not surprised of the marketing that you mentioned. The Seasonic PSU lists OCP (Over current protection) while the Corsair doesn't, and reddit is on fire on catching that and recommending the Seasonic PSU. I have a background of CS and electronics and I'm pretty sure SCP (short circuit protection) is effectively OCP, since over current is happening due to short circuits. I might be wrong though. It has been some time since I last read about stuff like this.

The 2021 model is $20 more than the 2018, based on what you said, I guess that wouldn't be worth it.

@jonnyGURU Although I build my PCs since the 2000s, I'm very bad at picking PSUs and fans for some reason and the internet is not helping (see the text above) 😂 I guess you would also recommend the RMx PSU. I see it's the top choice everywhere, but I just wanted to check this with some very well documented folks beforehand, hence this post 😄 

18 minutes ago, SCBbestof said:

The Seasonic PSU lists OCP (Over current protection) while the Corsair doesn't, and reddit is on fire on catching that and recommending the Seasonic PSU

SCP and OCP aren't the same.  One measures impedance while the other measures current.

image.thumb.png.2743d8f3362b2f75d6561a65528c3662.png

And Reddit is a cesspool.  I've rage quit at least three times.  Everyone is wrong, but claims to be right.

Not sure why Corsair doesn't list OCP.  It's there:

image.png.907f7bb6be94160afd14697fc29d9c01.png

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

SCP and OCP aren't the same.  One measures impedance while the other measures current.

image.thumb.png.2743d8f3362b2f75d6561a65528c3662.png

And Reddit is a cesspool.  I've rage quit at least three times.  Everyone is wrong, but claims to be right.

Not sure why Corsair doesn't list OCP.  It's there:

image.png.907f7bb6be94160afd14697fc29d9c01.png

Oh. good to know, on both. 😄  I looked at some more reviews and it seems like the Corsair unit is extremely silent too, so I'll get that one and place the order for my new build once I get home.

Thanks a lot for the information!

2 hours ago, Juular said:

RM-x 2021 is technically better but it's somewhat less quiet, but 2018 was really, ridiculously quiet, and 2021 is still not loud really so i'd just get cheapest of the two.

Has Luke tested it yet?

27 minutes ago, electropical said:

Has Luke tested it yet?

Good question.  Hope he didn't just sell it on eBay.  😄

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Good question.  Hope he didn't just sell it on eBay.  😄

I still don't get why he asked you to send him the unit though, it would have probably been cheaper for him to simply buy it locally ? 🧐

10 hours ago, electropical said:

Has Luke tested it yet?

10 hours ago, Juular said:

I've had it in my system for a bit now... it's far from loud, it's just that I'm able to make it whine at some idle loads... but I was also able to do that with focus at the time

(for the notice, I have my fans running at a very low RPM at idle... with a normal fan curve I doubt you'd even hear the PSU in the first place)

2 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

I've had it in my system for a bit now... it's far from loud, it's just that I'm able to make it whine at some idle loads... but I was also able to do that with focus at the time

(for the notice, I have my fans running at a very low RPM at idle... with a normal fan curve I doubt you'd even hear the PSU in the first place)

Would you say it's just as quiet as the Focus (same wattage?), quieter, louder?
I thought you were going to test it with a SunMoon or something (lol), but I guess you don't have access to lab equipment (which is understandable).

Btw, is the whine coming from the fan, or is it coil whine?

3 hours ago, electropical said:

Would you say it's just as quiet as the Focus (same wattage?), quieter, louder?
I thought you were going to test it with a SunMoon or something (lol), but I guess you don't have access to lab equipment (which is understandable).

Btw, is the whine coming from the fan, or is it coil whine?

as much as I would wish to have a load tester... I don't have 20-120k spare for a good one right now, and CoolerMaster hasn't calibrated their Chroma's for years now, which is the only test lab (relatively) close to me

couple things I should probably note about both

Focus - Rather agressive once you reach higher loads, some batches have motor noise, but my personal sample doesn't. Personally kept it on always spinning because I prefer it

RMx - Similar fancurve to the old RMx, which is imo better at higher loads, but very similar at lower loads. RM850x specifically had it's fan curve updated after Aris' review, so it's hard for me to reference the exact wattage here. 

The whine seems to come from the PSU itself from what I could hear, but it was already the case on RM and I expect it's for the same reason... the burst mode

Then again, for the same price I'd pick up an RMx, if there's a price difference I'd personally just pick up the cheapest. I've used both daily, I've been happy with both daily and both come out pretty well out of review.

oh, and since I didn't say it in my last message, @jonnyGURUdon't be worried about your RMx, it's all safe in my own system and I'm not getting rid of it any time soon 😅

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 5:20 AM, LukeSavenije said:

CoolerMaster hasn't calibrated their Chroma's for years now

Are you sure about that?  That seems pretty irresponsible.

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner.  I was banned for a while for answering someone's question.

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

Are you sure about that?  That seems pretty irresponsible.

I'm talking about the ones in Eindhoven they don't actively use anymore, not the ones they actually do use actively in Taiwan

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

I'm talking about the ones in Eindhoven they don't actively use anymore, not the ones they actually do use actively in Taiwan

Oh.. Ok.

So reviewers don't even come to use that one anymore?  Or they use them, but they haven't been calibrated?

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

So reviewers don't even come to use that one anymore?  Or they use them, but they haven't been calibrated?

they don't use them anymore, sadly... otherwise I would've asked them if I can borrow it