Old cooling system for Ryzen 5900x?

Xenon495
Go to solution Solved by ramava,
1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It would make sense to try to find a good deal on something like a Noctua NH-U12S or something and upgrade for better performance. 

Being a 5900X, you may want something beefier than the U12A. Something a little beefier than that from Noctua (U12A or better) or Be Quiet (like the Dark Rock series, I believe) would be a boost in cooling. The U12A isn't much better than the Pure Rock 2.

That being said, I feel like you shouldn't be running that hot with the Pure Rock 2, which is probably sufficient. It may be worth taking the cooler off, cleaning all the paste off and starting over, making sure you're using a good quality paste and that it's mounted firmly.

Also, how is airflow in the case? Is the CPU getting plenty of fresh air? is there an exhaust fan on the back to get rid of the hot air? Did you make sure the fan on the Pure Rock 2 is pushing air toward the back? (I've done that one before putting the fan back on backwards.) Is the fan actually running on it? What is the ambient temperature like?

For reference, 90 C is the max before you start to get problems and thermal throttling. I want to say you should be able to get it to run much closer to 80 C when under load, and that would be sufficient and safe, at least for now. (Probably longer, but I like mine to run cooler if I can.)

Hello there! Just upgraded my Ryzen 5 3600x to Ryzen 9 5900x. 

But I didnt upgrade my cooling system yet.

My current cooler - be quiet! BK009 Pure Rock - CPU Cooler - 150W TDP - https://www.amazon.com/quiet-BK009-Pure-Rock-Cooler/dp/B00OB40ULU

Should I upgrade to better cooling system or is it enough?

Just runned stresstest on AIDA. Temp is close to - 91-92 C:

bJCv4mJ.png

How do I test if it's safe to keep current cooling system?

91C is pretty hot. that's a temp cap. it must be downclocking to protect itself at that point. 
but that temp is in a synthetic benchmark that's made to overheat your CPU. 

see what temps you get with regular gaming, and video benchmarks. 
unless you're doing CPU intensive programs constantly you're unlikely to see your CPU hit 100% constantly. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

it'll be fine for the time being, but it's probably a decent idea to start looking for a new cooler. I've got a 5900X that I'm going to water cool once my waterblocks come in, but for now I've been using the stock cooler for a 2700X, and it's been mostly fine. The only time the temps end up higher than the 80s is running Prime95, which is within spec for AMD. The reason you would want to upgrade is that the boosting performance will be hindered by the lack of cooling, as I hit no where near the rated all core turbo at any point in time. It would make sense to try to find a good deal on something like a Noctua NH-U12S or something and upgrade for better performance. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It would make sense to try to find a good deal on something like a Noctua NH-U12S or something and upgrade for better performance. 

Being a 5900X, you may want something beefier than the U12A. Something a little beefier than that from Noctua (U12A or better) or Be Quiet (like the Dark Rock series, I believe) would be a boost in cooling. The U12A isn't much better than the Pure Rock 2.

That being said, I feel like you shouldn't be running that hot with the Pure Rock 2, which is probably sufficient. It may be worth taking the cooler off, cleaning all the paste off and starting over, making sure you're using a good quality paste and that it's mounted firmly.

Also, how is airflow in the case? Is the CPU getting plenty of fresh air? is there an exhaust fan on the back to get rid of the hot air? Did you make sure the fan on the Pure Rock 2 is pushing air toward the back? (I've done that one before putting the fan back on backwards.) Is the fan actually running on it? What is the ambient temperature like?

For reference, 90 C is the max before you start to get problems and thermal throttling. I want to say you should be able to get it to run much closer to 80 C when under load, and that would be sufficient and safe, at least for now. (Probably longer, but I like mine to run cooler if I can.)

Edited by ramava
Stupid typo.

28 minutes ago, ramava said:

The U12A isn't much better than the Pure Rock 2.

I think you meant "U12S" here.

FWIW, I'm cooling my 5900X with a U12S. Though, I have added a second fan to it. Temps topped out for my rig at 81C, but after I undervolted it, my max temp is now 71C.

28 minutes ago, ramava said:

For reference, 90 C is the max before you start to get problems and thermal throttling.

Actually 95C is when Ryzen thermal throttles, but there's anedoctal evidence Zen 3 can actually hit 100C+ before throttling.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

2 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

I think you meant "U12S" here.

Yes. Trying to keep too many part numbers in my head at once. Fixed.

2 hours ago, VioDuskar said:

91C is pretty hot. that's a temp cap. it must be downclocking to protect itself at that point. 
but that temp is in a synthetic benchmark that's made to overheat your CPU. 

see what temps you get with regular gaming, and video benchmarks. 
unless you're doing CPU intensive programs constantly you're unlikely to see your CPU hit 100% constantly. 

I hit 87-88 C when I play Valorant. What optimal temps should I get during playing video games?

37 minutes ago, Xenon495 said:

I hit 87-88 C when I play Valorant. What optimal temps should I get during playing video games?

you'd probably like to stay under 80C to "feel good" but if you're not seeing thermal throttling I wouldn't go out of the way to buy a new cooler and repaste the CPU. 

I regularly ran my old Intel 7700k at 90~ish °C in a slim form-factor build and while it super wasn't good for longevity, it was acceptable for the build type. 
it didn't make me a happy camper, but I knew it wasn't going to just pop on me. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

3 hours ago, Jeppes said:

What case? What gpu?

Case - Cougar MX330-G MX330 Mid Tower - https://www.amazon.com/Cougar-MX330-G-MX330-Tempered-Window/dp/B079X2P3TR

GPU -  MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Super 3xDP Super Gaming X Trio

2 hours ago, VioDuskar said:

you'd probably like to stay under 80C to "feel good" but if you're not seeing thermal throttling I wouldn't go out of the way to buy a new cooler and repaste the CPU. 

I regularly ran my old Intel 7700k at 90~ish °C in a slim form-factor build and while it super wasn't good for longevity, it was acceptable for the build type. 
it didn't make me a happy camper, but I knew it wasn't going to just pop on me. 

Bt the way, I start hearing some strange noises from my PC. What can it be? I attached video. Should I be worried about this rn?

Man that thing is spicy. 

Sounds like your fan is on its way out, has that PWM death stutter 😄

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

8 hours ago, freeagent said:

Man that thing is spicy. 

Sounds like your fan is on its way out, has that PWM death stutter 😄

Oh nvm, just checked it. It was GPU's fan colliding with supporting bracket

Thank you for your replies guys! Just bought DeepCool Assasin 3. My temps dropped to 60-70 C, I m very satisfied

11 hours ago, Xenon495 said:

Thank you for your replies guys! Just bought DeepCool Assasin 3. My temps dropped to 60-70 C, I m very satisfied

Nice! Glad to hear that the Assassin III was able to get your temps down to a level that you are happy with. I haven't had a chance to test it on one of my 5950x systems, but I'm pretty sure it is more than capable of handling that as well. Thanks for choosing DeepCool!

21 hours ago, DeepCool zer0 said:

Nice! Glad to hear that the Assassin III was able to get your temps down to a level that you are happy with. I haven't had a chance to test it on one of my 5950x systems, but I'm pretty sure it is more than capable of handling that as well. Thanks for choosing DeepCool!

Wow, didnt expect Deepcool affilates to reply here. Enjoy your product, and I like that your kit consist of thermal paste, card and other usefull things

4 hours ago, Xenon495 said:

Wow, didnt expect Deepcool affilates to reply here. Enjoy your product, and I like that your kit consist of thermal paste, card and other usefull things

We try to be more proactive and interact with end users in the community. Glad to hear that you are enjoying your cooler!