Help with How to set maximum memory trough CMD.

MaxtheHusk
Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,

Like for the numproc as explained above you can delete the max memory value you've set with bcdedit, the value being truncatememory.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/boot-parameters-to-manipulate-memory#:~:text=To simulate a low-memory,memory size for this test.

And don't mess with this, almost every time someone sets a number of CPUs or max memory there it's not actually a valid solution for the issue they're trying to fix. 

I ACCIDENTALLY TURNED OF ALL CORES OF MY CPU FROM MSCONFIG AND NOW WHEN THE PC RESTARTED I AM STUCK IN PREPARING AUTOMATIC REPAIR. JUST A BLACK SCREEN APEARS WHERE IT SAYS PREPARING AUTOMATIC REPAIR SOMETHING LOADS AND THEN THE SCREEM JUST FREEZES.HELP ME PLEASEE

16224576594806498128221581984791.jpg

If it says preparing automatic repair, then it posts. It wouldnt run with no single core activated.

You should still be able to go to the bios, before it shows automatic repair.

If you cant get int the bios, do a CMOS reset by taking out the CMOS battery of your motherboard.

Full specs would be good to know.

Heres a way to restore the setting you changed:

1. Create a bootable Windows 10 installation USB and boot to it

2. Wait for the Windows Setup to appear

3. When it appears, press Shift + F10 to open the command prompt.

4. When the command prompt appears navigate to C:\Windows\System32 (cd C:\Windows\System32)

5. Type bcdedit /deletevalue {default} numproc

6. You can now start your system normally.

Hope this works for you!

try shorting the cmos pins after removing the cmos battery from the mobo....that might help

if you are not even able to enter the bios...your motherboard might have a recovery mode which will allow you to run the pc even if it is bricked really bad...try going there and do a bios reset...

3 hours ago, Benji said:

You cannot disable all cores (or rather threads) in msconfig, the lowest value that the drop-down menu offers is one thread, at which it will run at base clock and terribly slow in general. So my assumption is that it actually does something, but the screen just freezes because it has so little performance on a single thread.

Also, you don't "accidentally" do this, you have to willingly click through the msconfig thing.

Stop using msconfig, people! Don't touch that thing after it "repaired". After it boots, go to msconfig and remove the checkbox on "Number of processors" or whatever it's called. And also the one on "Maximum memory". Maybe you've also "accidentally" modified the "Maximum memory" field? What did you enter there?

Ok you are right I uncheked the number of procesors and checked the maximum memory and I believe the maximum memory was 0.... Like it said something around 16000 but I think it went on zero. Can I do something??

Please guys I know now it is the memory can I somehow reset the memory trough cmd or can I open msconfig from cmd. The only resources I have are cmd and bios. Help me please!

have you tried deleting pagefile.sys and hiberfile.sys, can help.

1 minute ago, Benji said:

In that case, Windows refuses to boot because you gave Windows no memory to work with (great idea, by the way). Does entering "msconfig" in the CMD work? If so, uncheck the Maximum memory and Number of Processors and don't touch those things in the future. MSConfig "tweaks" that "increase speed" or whatever are a myth that didn't die out, it seems.

Thank you very much for reply. I will try that when I will get home. If it will not work then I will comment again.

The idea is I can enter the cmd only on that blue screen where you can choose to troubleshot pc. I hope it will work

Hi. I went in msconfig and I checked the maximum memory thing. It was saying something about 16000 or something but it went to 0. I restarted my pc and a black screen appears with the message: Preparing Automatic Repair and then it gets stuck. Can I do something to get again that memory so I can boot up again or what can I do? Please help me!

3 minutes ago, MaxtheHusk said:

Probably 16,000 MB if you have 16 gigs of RAM.

3 minutes ago, MaxtheHusk said:

something but it went to 0.

That told the system it can't use any of your RAM. Why would you change that?

I've never done this one before, but my best guess since you did it in CMD and that saves to Windows, a fresh install would be your best bet. Wipe your drive with the install.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Damn but it is any way to keep my data? What if I take one my piece of 8 gb ram out will my system detect that and maybe do something?

1 minute ago, MaxtheHusk said:

Damn but it is any way to keep my data? What if I take one my piece of 8 gb ram out will my system detect that and maybe do something?

you might be able to boot into repair mode with a windows install media, and change msconfig back to 16000 through cmd there.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I can acces the cmd trough troubleshoot thing that appears on a blue screen

-= Topics Merged and Title reset. =-

Please do not repost an issue, you may bump the topic once every 24hrs.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Like for the numproc as explained above you can delete the max memory value you've set with bcdedit, the value being truncatememory.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/boot-parameters-to-manipulate-memory#:~:text=To simulate a low-memory,memory size for this test.

And don't mess with this, almost every time someone sets a number of CPUs or max memory there it's not actually a valid solution for the issue they're trying to fix. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2