Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pretentious person looking for a game (reader's discretion is advised, contains some controversial takes on some games)

Hello. I am a gaming elitist - that means that I like only a very small set of games, and hate everything else - to put it shortly, I am a boring pretentious snob who reads Debord, Deluze, etc., who watched more than a half of Criterion movies, and who loves to ramble about videogames.

I want to play something new and fresh - but it is very hard for me to find a decent game. I am requesting your help in that.

Here I will write some takes on my favorite games, and on the games that I cannot stand, with a short explanation. I do not intend to offend any of you, I just want to explain what I like and dislike in gaming. Bear in mind that I can be quite intolerable and boring as a gamer.

The games I definitely like:

I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream - this game is one of the first ones that showed the world that gaming can be not just an interactive entertainment, but rather a statement.

Fallout 1 - one of the greatest combinations of classic gameplay and postmodern plot composition.

Anachronox - the only one JRPG that didn't made me willing to delete it after 30 seconds of gameplay; gameplay-rich, well-written ironic adventure, the best id Tech engine game in all of the id Tech's history.

System Shock 1/2 - a jewel of an immersive sim genre, one of the best action games of all time.

X-COM: Apocalypse - a perfect balance of a tycoon and a tactical strategy game.

Star Wars: Dark Forces - One of the most entertaining classic FPS'es, mostly because of a genius level design.

Fallout Tactics and Jagged Alliance 2 - Isometric action at its best.

Pathologic 1/2 - an astonishing story rich experience with the best dialogues in the history of gaming, combined with a survival genre at its finest.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords - The first and the last time when Star Wars franchise was something bigger than a janky conjunctural space opera. In some ways, KotOR II is the reaction towards the post-Star Wars era of western science fiction, the long-awaited alternative to utterly utilitarian interpretation of the genre. The only bad thing about this game is that it is a sequel of one of the worst games I've ever played, and the inherited game mechanics of the first part are pretty obstructive in terms of both storytelling and gameplay, and have produced nothing but annoyance.

Disco Elysium - The game that made me to believe in the bright future of gaming industry. The game is literally my dream game coming true. What a wonderful revival of the RPG genre, I hope that more games like that will appear.

The games I definitely dislike (again, this is not an offensive text or something - I'm just passionately explaining with some hyperbolic metaphors, please, do not consider these reviews as completely serious):

The Elder Scrolls games - Arena and Daggerfall were passable sandbox-ish adventures, and the Morrowind was mediocre at everything except the disgusting plot (it was rather DnD-like which for me means both boring and ordinary) and the astonishing visual style. Oblivion is an unfunny parody of RPG, mixed with boring dungeon tower crawling in the main quest, and the Skyrim is even worse - its casual design and one-dimensional plot are the giant spittle from Bethesda to the whole legacy of RPG gaming.

Call of Duty - The first part was rather playable and exciting, but all the rest games are as mediocre as it gets. They literally produce the same game over the years, and that game is the visually-obsolete one-directional shooter with star wars blaster kind of bullet physics; the game still feels like the bad Quake 2 mod, but with some cutscenes and obnoxious big-gun-shooting minigames. And it was always like that - even at the time of the first part release, there were some better FPSes, like Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. (And yes, naming the online gaming mode after the concentration camp where millions of people died is offensive to say the least)

Half-life - a very bad shooting game with some wannabe-movie-director style of b-movie-like plot storytelling, written on literally the worst engine made for a shooter game (yes, I understand that Source games are unique and can be funny, but hear me out) - low amount of enemies, constant loading screens after every 50 meters, awful shooting physics - even the STALKER's X-Ray engine is 300% more superior. And the second part is even worse - even more repetitive gameplay features (like physics gun) that prolong the game for a ridiculously huge amount of gameplay hours. I've never finished any Half-life game, because I was bored at the middle.

Baldur's Gate - Yet another DnD-like game from the company that do not understand how player's choice works, and how people interact with each other.

Dragon Age/Mass Effect/Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic I - Yet another regular RPG-like from the company that do not understand how player's choice works, and how people interact with each other.

Wasteland series, all Troika's games, The Outer Worlds - these games are the solid proof that Chris Avellone is the only one person among all of the post-Interplay Obsidian-Troika-inXile workers that can be considered a good game designer and writer - without him they can only produce some mediocre games that are lacking everything at once.

Fallout 3, 4, 76 - I can spend days rambling about Bethesda's Fallouts, but I rather mention that most of my arguments are present in hbomberguy's YouTube video.

The Witcher series - Like Skyrim, but the aesthetics is nice, I must say that.

Cyberpunk 2077 - The game that made me to stop believing in the bright future of gaming industry. Enough said. And I've played the tabletop Cyberpunk 2020, so I have a lot of questions on why so much things in the lore have changed.

So, what game can you suggest to me? I know, I demand too much, and my demands are petty controversial - but I'm sure there are lots of people with the same taste in gaming, that can help me.

I hope I wasn't so toxic...

Switched from Linux to BSD and don't want to go back. Vaccinated (Sputnik V) since February. If you happen to have a Zotac GT 610 PCI, contact me, I might buy it.

What about the two new Doom games:

Doom and Doom Eternal

I have issues finding games that I can just sit and play for hours, but these two are pretty good.

Fast paced fps (like no breaks), can be f*cking difficult if you like that, pretty easy if your not into that, has the best music in a video game I've heard ever. 

Really if you haven't played these already I'd suggest getting one of them (order doesn't really matter, very similar gameplay) and trying it

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

You certainly have the snob part down right. I'll give you that.

Interestingly, the titles you dislike are AAA rated games that were very well received by critics and gamers alike.

This goes to show you have a very unique taste that may be difficult for others to suggest titles for you.

I have played and liked many games on your love and hate list, so I don't have much to offer in terms of suggestions.

I will say that I recently checked out 'Ori and the Will of the Wisp' and it has been excellent.

Stunning visuals, fantastic gameplay, and riveting soundtracks.

This is a high recommend from me.

I'm also currently playing through the original Mass Effect series. 

Finished ME1 and am currently working on ME2, which is even better than the first game, which I thought to be pretty damn good overall.

It's worth mentioning this series was just remastered, and I believe has since been released, and available in 4K.

PSU Tier List      AMD Motherboard Tier List      SSD Tier List

If I helped you out, please leave a thumbs up. It's appreciated.

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

What about the two new Doom games:

I've beated the original games, and I love them so much for their clever level-design (Thanks, mr. Romero), so I was so hyped when I heard about the remakes... For me this was a disappointment. Cryptic levels (Yes, there is a difference between an interesting labyrinth and an unbearable mess of pathways), spawning enemies, arcade-ish power-ups, and, the unholy hand combat finishing feature. It destroys all the game's intense tempo, and after seeing it more than 10 times, you start to hate it with you very soul. The problem is that feature is forced (In the first remake it is used to earn HP and stuff, and in the Eternal, most of the enemies require this finishing to be killed after the shotgun shot) so you can't just avoid using it. Funny thing - there is a game that is like new Doom remakes but lacks all the obnoxious parts - and it's called Quake 4, and Quake 4 is much more fun(although it's still average).

Switched from Linux to BSD and don't want to go back. Vaccinated (Sputnik V) since February. If you happen to have a Zotac GT 610 PCI, contact me, I might buy it.

As someone else mentioned, you've got the snob part down pat. I can't add too much solid input since your gaming tastes and mine are so far apart. Have you played Earthbound? 

Just now, One-Hit Obliterator said:

Have you played Earthbound? 

I did, on emulator. The story was rather good(and that body mutilation part was indeed memorable), but the JRPG part was meh

1 minute ago, Eviljuche said:

I did, on emulator. The story was rather good(and that body mutilation part was indeed memorable), but the JRPG part was meh

Beyond this point, I don't think I can help you too much. I hope someone can find a game you'll enjoy! 

26 minutes ago, Eviljuche said:

Eternal, most of the enemies require this finishing to be killed after the shotgun shot

Glory kills? Those are in both games, and are optional. Almost all enemys, besides the first forgets with a boss, are killable without doing the glory kill. But then you get less health for the kill, sobits not advised.

Also, I've never had trouble figuring out a level in doom2016/eternal, but in Doom 1993 and 2 I had constant problems.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Glory kills? Those are in both games, and are optional.

As I said - they are, but they are forced to be done by a player, because they are the main resource of HP and because enemies love to just stand and blink with highlighting, waiting for you to kill them with this feature, not even fighting till the end.

1 hour ago, Eviljuche said:

Hello. I am a gaming elitist - that means that I like only a very small set of games, and hate everything else - to put it shortly, I am a boring pretentious snob who reads Debord, Deluze, etc., who watched more than a half of Criterion movies, and who loves to ramble about videogames.

I want to play something new and fresh - but it is very hard for me to find a decent game. I am requesting your help in that.

Here I will write some takes on my favorite games, and on the games that I cannot stand, with a short explanation. I do not intend to offend any of you, I just want to explain what I like and dislike in gaming. Bear in mind that I can be quite intolerable and boring as a gamer.

The games I definitely like:

I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream - this game is one of the first ones that showed the world that gaming can be not just an interactive entertainment, but rather a statement.

Fallout 1 - one of the greatest combinations of classic gameplay and postmodern plot composition.

Anachronox - the only one JRPG that didn't made me willing to delete it after 30 seconds of gameplay; gameplay-rich, well-written ironic adventure, the best id Tech engine game in all of the id Tech's history.

System Shock 1/2 - a jewel of an immersive sim genre, one of the best action games of all time.

X-COM: Apocalypse - a perfect balance of a tycoon and a tactical strategy game.

Star Wars: Dark Forces - One of the most entertaining classic FPS'es, mostly because of a genius level design.

Fallout Tactics and Jagged Alliance 2 - Isometric action at its best.

Pathologic 1/2 - an astonishing story rich experience with the best dialogues in the history of gaming, combined with a survival genre at its finest.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords - The first and the last time when Star Wars franchise was something bigger than a janky conjunctural space opera. In some ways, KotOR II is the reaction towards the post-Star Wars era of western science fiction, the long-awaited alternative to utterly utilitarian interpretation of the genre. The only bad thing about this game is that it is a sequel of one of the worst games I've ever played, and the inherited game mechanics of the first part are pretty obstructive in terms of both storytelling and gameplay, and have produced nothing but annoyance.

Disco Elysium - The game that made me to believe in the bright future of gaming industry. The game is literally my dream game coming true. What a wonderful revival of the RPG genre, I hope that more games like that will appear.

The games I definitely dislike (again, this is not an offensive text or something - I'm just passionately explaining with some hyperbolic metaphors, please, do not consider these reviews as completely serious):

The Elder Scrolls games - Arena and Daggerfall were passable sandbox-ish adventures, and the Morrowind was mediocre at everything except the disgusting plot (it was rather DnD-like which for me means both boring and ordinary) and the astonishing visual style. Oblivion is an unfunny parody of RPG, mixed with boring dungeon tower crawling in the main quest, and the Skyrim is even worse - its casual design and one-dimensional plot are the giant spittle from Bethesda to the whole legacy of RPG gaming.

Call of Duty - The first part was rather playable and exciting, but all the rest games are as mediocre as it gets. They literally produce the same game over the years, and that game is the visually-obsolete one-directional shooter with star wars blaster kind of bullet physics; the game still feels like the bad Quake 2 mod, but with some cutscenes and obnoxious big-gun-shooting minigames. And it was always like that - even at the time of the first part release, there were some better FPSes, like Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. (And yes, naming the online gaming mode after the concentration camp where millions of people died is offensive to say the least)

Half-life - a very bad shooting game with some wannabe-movie-director style of b-movie-like plot storytelling, written on literally the worst engine made for a shooter game (yes, I understand that Source games are unique and can be funny, but hear me out) - low amount of enemies, constant loading screens after every 50 meters, awful shooting physics - even the STALKER's X-Ray engine is 300% more superior. And the second part is even worse - even more repetitive gameplay features (like physics gun) that prolong the game for a ridiculously huge amount of gameplay hours. I've never finished any Half-life game, because I was bored at the middle.

Baldur's Gate - Yet another DnD-like game from the company that do not understand how player's choice works, and how people interact with each other.

Dragon Age/Mass Effect/Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic I - Yet another regular RPG-like from the company that do not understand how player's choice works, and how people interact with each other.

Wasteland series, all Troika's games, The Outer Worlds - these games are the solid proof that Chris Avellone is the only one person among all of the post-Interplay Obsidian-Troika-inXile workers that can be considered a good game designer and writer - without him they can only produce some mediocre games that are lacking everything at once.

Fallout 3, 4, 76 - I can spend days rambling about Bethesda's Fallouts, but I rather mention that most of my arguments are present in hbomberguy's YouTube video.

The Witcher series - Like Skyrim, but the aesthetics is nice, I must say that.

Cyberpunk 2077 - The game that made me to stop believing in the bright future of gaming industry. Enough said. And I've played the tabletop Cyberpunk 2020, so I have a lot of questions on why so much things in the lore have changed.

So, what game can you suggest to me? I know, I demand too much, and my demands are petty controversial - but I'm sure there are lots of people with the same taste in gaming, that can help me.

I hope I wasn't so toxic...

Have you considered Tetris?

14 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

Have you considered Tetris?

Well, the core problem of Tetris lies within its algorithms. Tetris is the randomized digital edition of Tetramino - and you can actually beat the Tetramino, whereas it is impossible to beat the Tetris. But the worst thing about it is that every randomized computer game is broken. Digital random algorithms are not random at all - because how can they be such? So it results in lots of glitches in Tetris - that moment when you are getting 10 same, skew (like 's') parts in a row because the random sucks, is so frustrating and reminds me about Source Engine. The ultimate Tetris implementation is one of the most notable computer science problems of nowadays. (Not even joking - http://cs229.stanford.edu/proj2015/238_report.pdf)

Nokia cellphones' Snake game is much more fun and variety - and the only reason why I bought Nokia as a primary phone, must I say.

20 hours ago, Eviljuche said:

I've beated the original games, and I love them so much for their clever level-design (Thanks, mr. Romero), so I was so hyped when I heard about the remakes... For me this was a disappointment. Cryptic levels (Yes, there is a difference between an interesting labyrinth and an unbearable mess of pathways), spawning enemies, arcade-ish power-ups, and, the unholy hand combat finishing feature. It destroys all the game's intense tempo, and after seeing it more than 10 times, you start to hate it with you very soul. The problem is that feature is forced (In the first remake it is used to earn HP and stuff, and in the Eternal, most of the enemies require this finishing to be killed after the shotgun shot) so you can't just avoid using it. Funny thing - there is a game that is like new Doom remakes but lacks all the obnoxious parts - and it's called Quake 4, and Quake 4 is much more fun(although it's still average).

FPS: Doom 3(non bfg edition) [Awesome linear game, with sad excuse for a story]

Exploration: What remains of edith finch [Not played myself, but concept seems interesting]

Bioshock Infinite [Awesome. Just awesome]

Kentucky Route Zero[It's a really good game, and might appeal to you]

Transistor: Played it on  a phone. Quite good.

2 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Bioshock Infinite

Sorry, but not the my choice either. For me, the Bioshock series to an immersive sim genre is what the Bethesda RPGs to an RPG genre. I remember how I beated the System Shock 2, willing to experience something like that, again. Everyone were saying "The Bioshock is just like the SS2!", so I immediately tried playing it... boy they were wrong. For the game that purposely added the word "shock" in the naming to flex with its immersive action, the Bioshock games fail everywhere - no *real* open-world, no survival elements, overall easiness, arcade elements, and no real inventory or the items that are not power-ups, weapons, or the quest-related(I thought we've passed the PlayStation 1 era of arcade-ish materialistic deficit in gameplay, but no!)... The Bioshocks feels like the new Doom games, they are bloated with featues and action-filled cut-scenes, but do not provide any consistent gameplay at the same time. And the plot of those are just... Picking a random controversial ideology and antagonizing it with an extensive usage of over-the-top metaphors is not a good computer game script, more like the essence of "deep" political shitpost made by 14-year old Paradox Interactive strategy games fanboy, or of the boomer-style "makes you think" cartoon meme. Good thing that the Alien: Isolation was released soon after that, reminding the gaming world what the real immersion is. In the defense of the Bioshocks I must say that they are indeed enjoyable anyway, and the visual style of all of them is memorable to say the least. Overall, I think that the Bioshock games are not bad, just lacking a good story and gameplay features.

7 hours ago, Eviljuche said:

Sorry, but not the my choice either. For me, the Bioshock series to an immersive sim genre is what the Bethesda RPGs to an RPG genre. I remember how I beated the System Shock 2, willing to experience something like that, again. Everyone were saying "The Bioshock is just like the SS2!", so I immediately tried playing it... boy they were wrong. For the game that purposely added the word "shock" in the naming to flex with its immersive action, the Bioshock games fail everywhere - no *real* open-world, no survival elements, overall easiness, arcade elements, and no real inventory or the items that are not power-ups, weapons, or the quest-related(I thought we've passed the PlayStation 1 era of arcade-ish materialistic deficit in gameplay, but no!)... The Bioshocks feels like the new Doom games, they are bloated with featues and action-filled cut-scenes, but do not provide any consistent gameplay at the same time. And the plot of those are just... Picking a random controversial ideology and antagonizing it with an extensive usage of over-the-top metaphors is not a good computer game script, more like the essence of "deep" political shitpost made by 14-year old Paradox Interactive strategy games fanboy, or of the boomer-style "makes you think" cartoon meme. Good thing that the Alien: Isolation was released soon after that, reminding the gaming world what the real immersion is. In the defense of the Bioshocks I must say that they are indeed enjoyable anyway, and the visual style of all of them is memorable to say the least. Overall, I think that the Bioshock games are not bad, just lacking a good story and gameplay features.

God, I cannot reccomend any game to you. Give me a gist of what genres you like

On 5/31/2021 at 3:13 AM, Eviljuche said:

whereas it is impossible to beat the Tetris.

That's kind of the point of Tetris though. What fun would it be if it stopped after 1 minute, at 10k points, level 5 or whatever?

12 hours ago, Eviljuche said:

The Bioshocks feels like the new Doom games, they are bloated with featues and action-filled cut-scenes, but do not provide any consistent gameplay at the same time. And the plot of those are just... Picking a random controversial ideology and antagonizing it with an extensive usage of over-the-top metaphors is not a good computer game script, more like the essence of "deep" political shitpost made by 14-year old Paradox Interactive strategy games fanboy, or of the boomer-style "makes you think" cartoon meme. Good thing that the Alien: Isolation was released soon after that, reminding the gaming world what the real immersion is.

I wouldn't classify System Shock or Bioshock as sim genre. They don't simulate anything? You seem, as you say, to have a bone to pick with almost every trope or gameplay element in (modern) games, but there do seem to be games that you enjoy, so it might be more productive if you give a list of elements that you appreciate in games? What I gather from your posts you enjoy:

• RPG or RPG-like
  • a solid story
  • an immersive world
  • maybe some survival/horror aspect judging from Alien Isolation?

or perhaps I'm completely wrong.

Personally I really liked Horizon Zero Dawn. Currently I'm keeping myself occupied with Nioh after playing Sekiro. If you like Dark Souls-esque games maybe those are worth a shot.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | Storage: 250 GB Crucial BX100 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 1TB WD Green + 3TB WD Red | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

3 hours ago, tikker said:

That's kind of the point of Tetris though. What fun would it be if it stopped after 1 minute, at 10k points, level 5 or whatever?

I was just joking in that comment. XD

I wouldn't classify System Shock or Bioshock as sim genre. They don't simulate anything?

There is a term 'immersive sim' that is usually used to explain the System Shock style of gameplay. These games simulates systems (not like computer ones, but in a broader sense) - when every part of the game is the a complex, near-real-life group of interacting, interdependent parts that form a complex whole, in itself. A very shady term, I must agree.

What I gather from your posts you enjoy:

• RPG or RPG-like
  • a solid story
  • an immersive world
  • maybe some survival/horror aspect judging from Alien Isolation?

or perhaps I'm completely wrong.

I do not even know fully myself. I am fine with any genre of game, as long the game itself feels 'consistent' - when the amount of scripted features does not interfere with the regular gameplay, or, if the game is about the story, when the game's plot is not trying to be kindergarten-teaching or straight up profane "choose your way"-esque - but rather introduces you to a set of dilemmas in which there will be no completely true answer. I do not know how to explain this 'game consistence' measurement myself. As for the modern mainstream games, I liked the Yakuza series - it was nice, and, because I watched the half of Criterion, and I knew the half of the actors (Yakuza's facial and voice actors are mostly the stars of old Japanese movie classics) so the game felt even more funnier because of the references. MudRunner is also a great game, the car physics there is just state-of-the-art, it has all three my favorite cars in it (Lada Niva, UAZ Hunter, UAZ-452 Loaf-of-Bread).

When you watch a movie in the Criterion Collection, you should really watch the entire movie, not just "more than half."  😁😉

In reality it would be interesting to see what parts of the Criterion Collection have intrigued you.  I mean are you into "The Seven Samurai," "The Lady Vanishes," "Spellbound,"  and "Dr. Strangelove," or are you more of a "Rushmore," "Brazil" Zatoichi series kind of person?

17 minutes ago, Mope El Two said:

When you watch a movie in the Criterion Collection, you should really watch the entire movie, not just "more than half."  😁😉

In reality it would be interesting to see what parts of the Criterion Collection have intrigued you.  I mean are you into "The Seven Samurai," "The Lady Vanishes," "Spellbound,"  and "Dr. Strangelove," or are you more of a "Rushmore," "Brazil" Zatoichi series kind of person?

I like Early Kurosawa, all of Tarkovsky, all the 70's sci-fi colletion, Jean-Luc Godard's Alphaville, that Mishima movie plus Mishima's own Patriotism, The Seventh Seal, Seijun Suzuki action movies, Bong Joon-Ho movies, Westfront 1918, Kobayashi's Samurai Rebellion, Klimov's Come and See - lots of stuff, I need a time to remember all of the good movies. I also like a lot of artsy movies that will probably will never be presented at Criterion, sadly...

Okay, it looks like highbrow movies that make you think, which explains every one of your answers above.  I'm going to have to think about this a bit

On 5/30/2021 at 8:14 PM, Eviljuche said:

Half-life - a very bad shooting game with some wannabe-movie-director style of b-movie-like plot storytelling, written on literally the worst engine made for a shooter game (yes, I understand that Source games are unique and can be funny, but hear me out) - low amount of enemies, constant loading screens after every 50 meters, awful shooting physics - even the STALKER's X-Ray engine is 300% more superior. And the second part is even worse - even more repetitive gameplay features (like physics gun) that prolong the game for a ridiculously huge amount of gameplay hours.

s5ccnlg8dt341.jpg

Playing HL was extremely painful tho, my old PC was so bad it took like 5 minutes to load each part of a level and ended up waiting more than playing the actual thing, not to mention dying was not an option as the loading screen to take you back to the last save point was even worse.

The new DOOM games I agree, kind of suck. Level design is "cryptic" but also extremely linear to the point you could just sprint thru an entire level, hit a couple of buttons to open doors and finish it skipping most if not all enemies except for scripted minibosses. I also find difficulty rating dumb as the only difference between normal and ultra difficult is that enemies can oneshot you, everything else remains the same, no new enemies, no locked paths on the maps, same weapons, etc.

I've tried to play Bioshock as well and felt the same you feel with HL saga, boring, repetitive, sure there's some history to it but honestly it's like with the Souls games, story is there but you have to keep finding parts of it to understand WTF you're doing and if you miss an item, part of a level or even a hidden note you're missing the story.

A game I liked was The Talos Principle, graphics are terrible and the whole thing is filled with game-breaking glitches and bugs worse than Fallout 3, but I liked it.

I'm not too fond of shooters but played the Metro games doing stealth runs and exploration to for example gather all the notes or photos. Thing is, there aren't many games that could be considered good or great when talking about story, everything is focused on graphics and gimmicks like raytracing that made graphics card go from $500 to $1500

Finitude is what the two clock hands indicate as they point towards my cruel destiny. 

As a person fascinated with game design and level design (especially FPS), I'll take a crack at it.

You may enjoy Metro 2033 Redux, especially in Survival mode on a higher difficulty.

The gameplay encourages thought, and is very well paced. You've gotta count your shots, make effective use of all your gear in a calculated manner, carefully position yourself for minimal damage, and move even more carefully. It's somewhat like a tac shooter but very unforgiving. This perfectly fits the post-apocalyptic, resource-starved atmosphere of the game. The combination is highly immersive and addictive. The intensity is cranked up to 11 on the surface of earth, with a constant radiological threat factor to work against and more deadly beasts to fend off.

Where there is not gameplay, there is an astoundingly rich environment to take in, endless places to search for desperately needed gear, and countless horrors creeping in the distance. You may finally escape a tunnel full of horribly disfigured monsters, and suddenly find yourself in the center of a bustling subterranean market, with vendors shouting about their goods and the sounds of life all around you. The shift from a total absence of life and hope in gameplay to the calm, reassuring downtime of the stations brings forth emotions of relief and only further immerses the player in the world. Many such interactions exist within the game's world, too many for me to describe. Perhaps my favorite is the feeling of crawling through a crawlspace full of deadly gas and corpses in search of a few supplies, my weapon at the ready but my light dim.

English VA'ing and translation can be a bit rough, so using Russian voice lines with English subtitles is recommended (unless you are a Russian speaker). Apart from that, the plot fits the game very well, and the constant drive to explore the fascinating destroyed earth helps to push it onward. Much is learned from exposition in loading screens, but you can still retain the full story from dialogue and inferences.

// EPSILON-11 HAS ENTERED THE FACILITY //

1 hour ago, prototypical said:

As a person fascinated with game design and level design (especially FPS), I'll take a crack at it.

You may enjoy Metro 2033 Redux, especially in Survival mode on a higher difficulty.

Well, let me say that I have some special relationship with the Metro series. There is a reason why I do not feel myself well when playing Metro, or when reading an original Metro book - but it would be better not to discuss them here. Let us just say that the shooting mechanics is rather weird, and that the visuals are rather strange - both the games and the book are constantly referencing modern history events, but everything looks like the war happened in the 70s - No remains of modern architecture, all the items in game came straight up from Soviet Union, all the TVs in the rooms of what was the living houses are literally made in the 1950s - but again, its clearly seen from the game's plot that the war has happened in 2000s post-Soviet modern Russia.

1 hour ago, prototypical said:

English VA'ing and translation can be a bit rough, so using Russian voice lines with English subtitles is recommended (unless you are a Russian speaker). 

Well, I am a Russian native speaker. And the Russian version of the Metro games can also be criticized - again, not going to discuss it here, but it is rather controversial.

I will base my recommendations on my impression of your character.

And my impression is as follows: you are to gamers just as law students are to students in general, as crossfit folks are to anyone who trains regularly, as vegans are to diet freaks as well. You want to be edgy for the sake of being edgy, to feel as you are a better version of the person you really are. That tends to be common feature of people who like to label themselves as this or that. But enough of the psychological evaluation...

Outer Wilds - apparently a step back to old days when nothing was laid bare for the player, exploration of the world written with capital 'E', basically a journey like no other (apparently as I still haven't played it myself - yep, waiting in a looong queue with titles like Disco Elysium)

Shadow of the Collosus - yet another 'apperently' title (this one I don't even plan to play due to the emptiness of its environments)

Twelve MInutes - maybe a good suggestion, maybe not; check to decide on your own

Kentucky Route Zero - already mentioned, heard good stuff about it

This War of Mine - a war shown from a non-typical point of view for video game industry

Death Stranding - personally I think it's a very bad game - poor and poorly delievered story (pun intended) with clunky and ininspiring gameplay but it fits the 'game like no other' and 'this idea is so visionary' vibe you seem to be into.

Return of the Obra Dinn - stands out graphically.

One game that i had to force myself into launching and then becoming my Best Game Ever concerning storytelling is Horizon Zero Dawn. 3rd person, console port, tribalism with a touch of historic feel, despite action taking place in the future - all the things i hate in a game, but boy am i grateful i launched it. 

BUT keep in mind it's really boring for the first like 20-30 minutes (can take up to an hour depending on your clearing speed and skill) and then it takes you on a ride. One thing that is a must in order to fully appreciate the story is to keep the playthrough slow and steady (except for the first 20-30 minutes). Explore as much as possible from the side-quests and artefacts, since every single one of them adds a certain detail to the whole picture. Imo to enjoy the game to the fullest you need to put at least 120 hours into the playthrough and not rush it, but fully explore it.

On 6/2/2021 at 4:33 PM, Soag said:

Death Stranding - personally I think it's a very bad game - poor and poorly delievered story (pun intended) with clunky and ininspiring gameplay but it fits the 'game like no other' and 'this idea is so visionary' vibe you seem to be into.

Oh yeah good choice. Once you accept it's a musically enhanced walking simulator I find it very relaxing. The songs fit it so well. It's more an experience than a game.

On 6/2/2021 at 6:22 PM, QuantumSingularity said:

put at least 120 hours

Well that's a bit of a stretch 😛 I've finished it in just under 50 hours and was already thouroughly enjoying it.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | Storage: 250 GB Crucial BX100 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 1TB WD Green + 3TB WD Red | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB