1st post :) What is a decent gaming laptop (refurbished or cheap) for moderate gaming

itwizkid

Hi all,

1st post after 2 years of watching LTT :)

Can I please ask you what your opinion on a decent gaming laptops is? I travel at weekends so need something that fits in the car and can be easily moved.

I play at a couple of hours a day, mostly RPG with some FPS and have a 500 pound budget. I only care about the gaming experience as far Audio and Visual and not backlit keyboards etc. I need it to be upgradeable (is that a word) for RAM, GPU. I don't need 3D or a huge screen as I have a 27 inch external. I will happily consider refurbished :) Me and the kid have a PS and XBOX so not worried about that. 

So hopefully you can help! Thanks all

Chris

FYI:  Laptops almost never do upgradable components beyond Storage and RAM.  I can't think of any consumer grade laptops that do replacable GPUs.

I need it to be upgradeable (is that a word) for RAM, GPU.

As far as I know, no laptop came with an upgrade-able GPU. You might be able to upgrade using a external GPU enclosure but those are so expensive you might as well buy a new computer.

Sounds like you should consider a small form-factor PC. It would be small and gaming laptops are limited on battery power anyway (see: This video by Hardware Canucks where they test laptop performance on battery vs plugged in)

Small form-factor is more expensive relative to the same specs but in a large PC.

If you really need to game on-the-go then you should look into cloud game streaming if you have a solid internet connection. If you need a laptop with the specs, older Alienware*, Dell*, MSI, and Lenovo laptops are solid. When buying try to see if you can physically inspect the laptop before purchase.

*Just be sure to take care of the bloatware pre-installed software on Dell/Alienware computers.

39 minutes ago, itwizkid said:

Hi all,

1st post after 2 years of watching LTT 🙂

Can I please ask you what your opinion on a decent gaming laptops is? I travel at weekends so need something that fits in the car and can be easily moved.

I play at a couple of hours a day, mostly RPG with some FPS and have a 500 pound budget. I only care about the gaming experience as far Audio and Visual and not backlit keyboards etc. I need it to be upgradeable (is that a word) for RAM, GPU. I don't need 3D or a huge screen as I have a 27 inch external. I will happily consider refurbished 🙂 Me and the kid have a PS and XBOX so not worried about that. 

So hopefully you can help! Thanks all

Chris

At best ram and storage is upgrade able.

Does it have to be a laptop? 500 pounds is not a lot for a laptop that can play current games.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 5:03 AM, Mao_Zedong01 said:

As far as I know, no laptop came with an upgrade-able GPU

Sorry for the knowledge flex, but I just really wanted to say that there actually was trend for laptop graphics cards that used the MXM form factor. Not worth buying at all though.

As for OP, you might want to pick a laptop with a gtx 1650 for decent performance and battery life.

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

Idk if you will find anything decent at that price with the current global parts shortage. Before covid there were lower end laptops such as the Nitro 5 for under 600 USD (was on sale for 500 at one point), but now the cheapest will probably be around 700-800 usd. I would check r/LaptopDeals on reddit and search for gaming laptops there