Bill Gates trapped me.

Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,

Sounds more like an issue initialising the graphics card to me.聽 Have you tried a more mainstream distro like Ubuntu/Kubuntu (I find KDE Plasma easier to use coming from Windows) or Fedora?

Can you list your exact hardware configuration?

Hi . I have a small little problem. Bill Gates hacked my computer and doesn't let me install linux. But for real, i can't boot into any live usb in order to install linux. I tried manjaro, endavouros and pop! os. None of those work and let me describe the issue. I boot into the gui normally there are options to boot with proprietary or free drivers everything is normal. I choose free (i have r9 390), and the linux loads, the standard green OK all across the board. And just as the desktop is to load the mouse appears for a second and then the whole screen goes black, pitch black and my display sometimes even says that there is no input. I already tried the nomodeset option and then it's stuck on "graphical interface something" and nothing happens :[ I just want to escape windows help please.

CAUSE :Ok so now i know that my r9 390 is the problem, video driver issue

SAD TRUTH: For now there is no way of playing any game or running any graphically intensive program the r9 390 is the culprit people have had problems with it since 2017 and still no fix, so i think I'm still stuck with mr. Gates, until i get myself an old thinkpad for school, Then i will at least have both. Thank you all for quick help. :[

3 minutes ago, Shmeckser said:

Hi . I have a small little problem. Bill Gates hacked my computer and doesn't let me install linux. But for real, i can't boot into any live usb in order to install linux. I tried manjaro, endavouros and pop! os. None of those work and let me describe the issue. I boot into the gui normally there are options to boot with proprietary or free drivers everything is normal. I choose free (i have r9 390), and the linux loads, the standard green OK all across the board. And just as the desktop is to load the mouse appears for a second and then the whole screen goes black, pitch black and my display sometimes even says that there is no input. I already tried the nomodeset option and then it's stuck on "graphical interface something" and nothing happens :[ I just want to escape windows help please

Something like this happened to me last weekend. Exactly the way you describe things. For me the solution came to flashing the Linux distro as MBR in Rufus instead of GPT... So that's something you could look into or it maybe something else entirely.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for聽a reply. 馃檪

6 minutes ago, AnirbanG007 said:

Something like this happened to me last weekend. Exactly the way you describe things. For me the solution came to flashing the Linux distro as MBR in Rufus instead of GPT... So that's something you could look into or it maybe something else entirely.

Hmm since I was formatting my drive 15 times per hour i installed ventoy to make it easier, but I'm pretty sure that I always do it in mbr since rufus does that automatically. Plus when i attach manjaro the options are grayed out so i can't even change those.

Sounds more like an issue initialising the graphics card to me.聽 Have you tried a more mainstream distro like Ubuntu/Kubuntu (I find KDE Plasma easier to use coming from Windows) or Fedora?

Router:聽 Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yeah so i thought and i tried pop os! Since it's ubuntu based but ok I'll try manjaro kde and maybe kubuntu. My config is:

Intel e5-1650

Radeon r9 390

16 GB of ddr3 ecc

500GB ssd聽

I heard that the 390 had some problems with free amd drivers

Just now, Cvet76 said:

Had problems with Rufus, was recommended balenaEtcher. Works like a dream. Something about the way Rufus burns to USBs didn't agree with various distros, meanwhile Balena copies bit by bit (or something like that) and thus works. Never ever failed me.

Used both rufus and etcher, no difference, but etcher sometimes spits and error for no apparent reason.

42 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Ok so i tried kubuntu, same thing black screen, but manjaro kde stayed for a second longer and there were some jitters on the screen like on the old crt's so i thinks it's gpu related.

Well it's 100% confirmed. Gpu is at fault in windows it works great, but I can't use it in linux this is after booting pop os the installer worked great with nomodeset but the desktop does not. This is how my screen looks like.

IMG20210526183235.jpg

Just out of curiosity, try booting a 100% libre distro such as Trisquel. Even drivers that are supposedly open source actually have small proprietary bits called firmware. Few distros come 100% open source. You won't have hardware acceleration without the missing firmware that radeons require, but it's at least something for you to try, and to satisfy my own curiosity. The expected result is to have screen tearing and go no higher of a resolution than 1024x768, but I'm hoping at least a proper image will be displayed.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

聽-Rakshit Jain

• 1 month later...

Geez .. u had more issues that I had !!

Ive got a R9 290 and where as I didnt have any issues installing a fresh Os .. I had a lot trying to get Vulkan/DXVK running due to the "pro" drivers our cards require to use this.

The 3 things that pop to my mind are聽 ....

1- The usb install is slightly corrupted/damaged ... Try a totally fresh usb drive & make sure the Os you install has no issues either ( test via a vm install if poss )聽

2 - Try installing a older distro and then updating once ure in .. 19.04 worked for me

3 - Remove ure GPU/disconnect the power & re-install ... This should allow u to boot with the onboard gpu and use LLVM. Once in take a snapshot and then go about trying to install the drivers needed manually.

Hope it helps