A new version of windows is coming!!!

Bratstech
8 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

I really dislike the new start menu, things are way too spaced apart. Again showing this is just 10X thats made for tablets in mind.

Vista early days in dev (yes, it's real):

E1B6ZzFWQAMifX7.thumb.jpg.c2bfff49f8a8cbb649726db569c5071e.jpg

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Vista early days:

Just a bloated Windows XP.

And Windows 10 is a bloated Windows 8

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

yes seems a bit tablet like UI and a bit like they want the windows tablets to make a comback in a something that might be similar to macOS?

Kinda hope they aren't f***ing windows 10 on purpose to get a mac clone, even if they aren't that similar otherwise.

Just want a upgraded version of windows 7 is all, that actually works.

40 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Reaction was very positive for Windows 10X Start menu. This is its Start menu. No Live tiles either which was a big request as well. Hence why we have the News & interest on the task bar. It replaces the only useful thing the Live tiles were used for.

Thats surprising considering Windows 10X was killed off before MS really even released it.

Although the Start menu placement reminds me of Windows 10X, was this done with touch screens and the MS Surface tablets in mind?

I noticed leaked pictures of the start menu on the left, which is nice if you can change it.

The live tiles were annoying, but at least you could get rid of those, the approach taken with the start menu with this new version is weird, instead of a start menu like Windows 7 had, the icons are too large, and from the looks of it only pinned and recommended icons show on the main start menu. I really just want a basic start menu with everything in one menu, so I hope the start menu has a lot of customization.

8 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Thats surprising considering Windows 10X was killed off before MS really even released it.

That was not the reason. In short, 10X got canceled because the market conditions have changed. So, they are bringing the 10X interface (which was Fluent Design fully implemented) to Windows 10 under the project name Sun Valley. Contrary to many news articles, "Sun Valley" is not the code name of "Windows 11", that would be Colbalt. "Sun Valley" is the UI/UX name only. 

Although the Start menu placement reminds me of Windows 10X, was this done with touch screens and the MS Surface tablets in mind?

Windows 10X was designed for foldable, dual screen and low powered systems (Chromebooks like systems).

The Start menu design has been in the works before Windows 10X was known to anyone. It dropped Live tiles, which Microsoft has evaluated as not being utilized in a matter that bring much value (or any) to most apps who uses it. In other words, useful for weather and news, but not much useful for other things.

The weather on the task bar from the latest update is there as the live tiles will be killed off. Tablet focused has not been in focus for a while at Microsoft.

Microsoft was supposed to bring interactive live tiles back in late Windows 8 days (so 8.1 or Windows 10), but that was dropped. Microsoft wanted to focus on laptops and desktops. Heck, Windows 10's "tablet mode" has not been touched in ages.

So, yes, it's not "tablet focus", but rather "hybrid focus" if you want to call it that, which I think is more fitting if you consider laptops with touch screens.

I noticed leaked pictures of the start menu on the left, which is nice if you can change it.

The live tiles were annoying, but at least you could get rid of those, the approach taken with the start menu with this new version is weird, instead of a start menu like Windows 7 had, the icons are too large, and from the looks of it only pinned and recommended icons show on the main start menu. I really just want a basic start menu with everything in one menu, so I hope the start menu has a lot of customization.

Start menu is running on a system with a high DPI, so everything is too large. But the Start menu is larger than now. If you look closely, you noticed that it combines the Search panels of Windows 10 with the start menu into 1 panel, where you have both purposes on the same place. This makes the search functionality no longer hidden if the search bar is hidden from view. 

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

windows11lede.10.png
First screenshots of possible Windows 11.

That looks absolutely atrocious. It is fucking awful. I honestly don't know where to begin with describing how awful this is.

Has nobody at Microsoft's design team heard of Fitts's law? Putting buttons like that rather than in the corner is completely and utterly idiotic. 

*sad grunching noises*
They are updating some of it, some is similar to the "unfixed" windows 10 and some things might change.

Just saw a video of someone using a demo, at least they take away some junk in the start menu and such, to nice features like adjusting windows on the screen maybe with fullscreen support? Some more widget adjustment like a focus around tablet. Kind of slow right now as a demo, hopefully the full release will be better.

But doubt we will have enough control as older generations, as they will likely stick with this awful mangement system of 8+ windows for permission and how to enable/disable things to the bloatware that could maybe still be locked, so when they says its "your" OS, it feels like a big lie than just a more streamlined OS to maybe become "easier" to use.

Both an upgrade and not, from win 10, and if they are going to destroy win 10 early.

Are we allowed to post a link to the ISO of the leaked Windows 11 ?

Edit : Alright, thanks Kilrah. 
Figured I'd ask first.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

No.

There is discussion about it there though:

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

22 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

That looks absolutely atrocious. It is fucking awful. I honestly don't know where to begin with describing how awful this is.

Has nobody at Microsoft's design team heard of Fitts's law? Putting buttons like that rather than in the corner is completely and utterly idiotic. 

According to other screenshots from the leaked build you can move the taskbar buttons to the corner, but I'm not sure if it's all the buttons or if you can move just the Start button.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

This was due to the lack of telemetry data. So, they thought it was a rendering bug and not user error from a UX/UI design issue.

I call BS on that. That's just something you made up to try and justify telemetry in Windows 10.

Also, they clearly did figure out the issue without relying on telemetry so...

Reaction was very positive for Windows 10X Start menu. This is its Start menu.

What reactions? Maybe in the Microsoft fanboy club but if we look at the reactions on this forum and the comments on the news articles then it is painfully obvious that people do NOT like this.

If you have an ultrawide (~1 monitor and a half) or super-wide (size of 2 monitors side by side, no borders) monitors, having the start menu at the center is better.

No it's not, because the area you need to hit in order to press the start menu button is literally infinitely smaller when it is placed in the center compared to the corner.

Signed: Someone with a 49" super-wide monitor.

Not to mention that a lot of people (including me) only use the start menu to type in the name of the program we want to start and then press enter. Having the start menu in the corner ensures that it does not cover any of the centered content that we are actually working with. That's why people disliked Windows 8's start screen so much, because it covered the content they tried to focus on. Having the start menu centered does that as well, although to a much lesser extent than Windows 8.

9 minutes ago, Nowak said:

According to other screenshots from the leaked build you can move the taskbar buttons to the corner, but I'm not sure if it's all the buttons or if you can move just the Start button.

you do just like this and will act the same, might be changed in future:

... same thing, asdaskjkjjlaifjladsfjglakfj

So just set it to be on the left just like now which has been confirmed.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, Nowak said:

I'm about to find out. I'll report back when I know.

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

So just set it to be on the left just like now which has been confirmed.

"Just change it" is a bad excuse for terrible default settings.

I wonder how many things in Windows people have defended by saying "just turn it off". The list of things I have to change whenever I make a new install of Windows is staggering, and this is another thing that I shouldn't have to change because it's horrible, but now have to do because Microsoft's independent developers can't figure out what good default values are.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Oh yeah, do let us know.

Thoughts so far:

The new OOB setup is pretty nice. I really dislike that they still haven't fixed the glaring issue that you have to scroll in the list of languages and regions, rather than just type in where you are (so I can't just type "swe" and find Sweden, I have to scroll in the list).

I dislike that they have made it even harder to make a local account though. Now you don't get the option to create a local account, unless you type in an incorrect Microsoft online username and password. Then, and only then, do you get the option to create a local account. Who in the right mind things that having hidden settings only appear after users type in an incorrect username and password is a good idea?

The UI looks really pretty though. I like the new icons.

1508722589_Screenshot2021-06-15232916.png.d11734ea7cd8597b33cf22fd46bef5ab.png

Saw a video about it and animations look nice at least.

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I dislike that they have made it even harder to make a local account though. Now you don't get the option to create a local account, unless you type in an incorrect Microsoft online username and password.

This has been that way for quite a while, if you install Home you have to do that or disconnect network to get local account option. With Pro you can select local without messing around. 

2 minutes ago, Parabola said:

Saw a video about it and animations look nice at least.

They are great, they look nice but without being too long/slow and slowing you down, many do it wrong. Feels really snappy. 

F@H

GPD Win 2

57 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Wait, so the build is openly accessible?

37 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

This has been that way for quite a while, if you install Home you have to do that or disconnect network to get local account option. With Pro you can select local without messing around. 

They are great, they look nice but without being too long/slow and slowing you down, many do it wrong. Feels really snappy. 

I always use the handy "I don't have internet" button on the bottom-left when asked to connect to a network. Works like a charm when doing system setups for customers 😄

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

4 hours ago, TetraSky said:

But this would require having both hands on my desk instead of just one. 😉😂

Solution:

msmousebutton

✨FNIGE✨

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I call BS on that. That's just something you made up to try and justify telemetry in Windows 10.

Also, they clearly did figure out the issue without relying on telemetry so...

What reactions? Maybe in the Microsoft fanboy club but if we look at the reactions on this forum and the comments on the news articles then it is painfully obvious that people do NOT like this.

No it's not, because the area you need to hit in order to press the start menu button is literally infinitely smaller when it is placed in the center compared to the corner.

Signed: Someone with a 49" super-wide monitor.

Not to mention that a lot of people (including me) only use the start menu to type in the name of the program we want to start and then press enter. Having the start menu in the corner ensures that it does not cover any of the centered content that we are actually working with. That's why people disliked Windows 8's start screen so much, because it covered the content they tried to focus on. Having the start menu centered does that as well, although to a much lesser extent than Windows 8.

Lawlz, aren't you with MSDOS or something... I have a feeling that it is the only OS that pleases you. XD

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Lawlz, aren't you with MSDOS or something... I have a feeling that it is the only OS that pleases you. XD

Contrary to your belief, you can be critical of Microsoft and still use their products. In fact, I'd say that the reason why I am so critical of Microsoft is because I am a user and therefore want things to improve.