Youtube low quality, help?

Hello. Today when I click to watch any youtube video, It will play in the lowest possible resolution. So 144p or 240p depending on the video. Before it would select/play in 1080 or 720 when I click on a new video. 

I can change it back with the small options cog, near the captions and full screen button. But I have to do it every time I watch a new video. It does not make it buffer or struggle on 1080p. I have tested my connections speed at 2 different websites and I have 98-101 mbps both up and down. I use google chrome on windows 10, and I am logged into youtube.

Do you have any suggestions on how to change it back to how it worked before?

They pushed down the default resolution when COVID hit because everyone and their dog was stuck at home watching youtube. Essentially a measure to lower the load on the servers.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

At least on mobile the whole settings changed from actual resolutions to "High" and "Low". Which you can set as default from app. I haven't seen this issue with desktop YT, my videos are still 720p or 1080p. You could use browser addons to force resolution.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I solved it by using firefox and not signing into youtube. And now chrome has watched me use firefox and decided to play videos at the highest quality again. I guess its trying to compete.