Can't find ssd while installing kali linux

Hello!

I am trying to install kali linux my on ssd but my SSD is not visible in partition management.

can anyone help what I am doing wrong.

2021-05-24 at 6.17.21 PM.jpeg

Here is my SSD

image.png

2 hours ago, Pratham Bhatnagar said:

I am trying to dual it with windows 10 on laptop.

Why?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 hours ago, Pratham Bhatnagar said:

I am trying to dual it with windows 10 on laptop.

Because why not🤷.

4 hours ago, Pratham Bhatnagar said:

Because why not🤷.

Why not? I will give you a reason, your SSD is not visible in partition management.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

What kind of SSD? The kernel Kali uses is quite old and might not support an nvme drive.

Also Kali is intended to be used in a VM not hardware, and if you have to ask why your SSD doesn't show then Kali is not the distro for you.

4 hours ago, 10leej said:

What kind of SSD? The kernel Kali uses is quite old and might not support an nvme drive.

Also Kali is intended to be used in a VM not hardware, and if you have to ask why your SSD doesn't show then Kali is not the distro for you.

Ok then which Linux distro  should I chose to begin with linux?

Ubuntu LTS is usually recommended for both novices and anyone who isn't sure. It is extremely popular for a reason. However pretty much any distro is perfectly fine in general. The main differences are things like UI and how quickly they update.

I would avoid distros like Gentoo or Kali which are really only meant for users who understand what they're doing.

On 5/24/2021 at 11:42 PM, Pratham Bhatnagar said:

Ok then which Linux distro  should I chose to begin with linux?

There is no perfect answer to that, but Ubuntu, or even Manjaro are decent choices. Of the three Ubuntu is the one that has the magical power of the google search result, but Manjaro (being based on Archlinux) has an almost 100% match to the Arch Wiki's various examples (outside of instalation).

General rule of thumb here depends on use case. If you want a stable works out of the box system that is garanteed to work, you want to use the LTS release of Ubuntu (currently 20.04). 

If you're a gamer with an AMD gpu, or you want a system that trades a bit of stability in the name of the newest releases in software. Then Manjaro is a decent choice (versions don't matter, when you update you'll always be at the latest release).

There's also Fedora (my personal favorite) which like Manjaro ships the latest and greatest in software but has a focus on innovation and "serviceable" stability.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 5:45 PM, 10leej said:

There is no perfect answer to that, but Ubuntu, or even Manjaro are decent choices. Of the three Ubuntu is the one that has the magical power of the google search result, but Manjaro (being based on Archlinux) has an almost 100% match to the Arch Wiki's various examples (outside of instalation).

That's one of the reasons I daily Manjaro, it's nice and fun to use (can't say much about the updates), but then you open the terminal and it feels just like Arch. Plus if you install things like yaourt then it's basically an Arch Linux installation lol

3 hours ago, W3BV1P3R said:

That's one of the reasons I daily Manjaro, it's nice and fun to use (can't say much about the updates), but then you open the terminal and it feels just like Arch. Plus if you install things like yaourt then it's basically an Arch Linux installation lol

The problem with Manjaro is that occaisionally an AUR package updates faster than the Manjaro repo's do but if you keep the AUR packages to a minimum you'll never encounter that.

13 hours ago, 10leej said:

The problem with Manjaro is that occaisionally an AUR package updates faster than the Manjaro repo's do but if you keep the AUR packages to a minimum you'll never encounter that.

That’s true, I enjoy customizing my systems so I download all sorts of junk lol. I’m curious though, what if we just removed Manjaro’s default repos and just went straight to the AUR? I’m thinking there will be compatibility problems with drivers and stuff but I’m not sure

On 6/8/2021 at 12:25 PM, W3BV1P3R said:

That’s true, I enjoy customizing my systems so I download all sorts of junk lol. I’m curious though, what if we just removed Manjaro’s default repos and just went straight to the AUR? I’m thinking there will be compatibility problems with drivers and stuff but I’m not sure

The AUR in all it's glory doesn't have everything for a running system to work in the long run. So you'll fall behind on libraries. At that point it's probably better just to install Arch.