Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Budget (including currency): none

Country: USA

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly Gaming. Some Photoshop and Video Editing.

 

I am currently building a 5950x CPU with a ROG Crosshair VIII Black Hero mobo. I am not sure what to get for ram. I looked at the following

 

  1. G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-4000 CL16-19-19-39 32GB (16GBx2) 
  2. G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3800 CL14-16-16-36 32GB (16GBx2)
  3. TT TOUGHRAM RGB DDR4-4400 19-25-25-45 16GB (8GB x 2)

I am Running a EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING for GPU and WD_Black 1TB SN850 NVMe Gen4 for boot. I am stuck on the RAM since this is my first high end Ryzen build.

 

Any person experiences welcomed.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, twk3D said:

Budget (including currency): none

Country: USA

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly Gaming. Some Photoshop and Video Editing.

 

I am currently building a 5950x CPU with a ROG Crosshair VIII Black Hero mobo. I am not sure what to get for ram. I looked at the following

 

  1. G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-4000 CL16-19-19-39 32GB (16GBx2) 
  2. G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3800 CL14-16-16-36 32GB (16GBx2)
  3. TT TOUGHRAM RGB DDR4-4400 19-25-25-45 16GB (8GB x 2)

I am Running a EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING for GPU and WD_Black 1TB SN850 NVMe Gen4 for boot. I am stuck on the RAM since this is my first high end Ryzen build.

 

Any person experiences welcomed.

 

The lower the timings and CL the better, my advice, get the Trident Z Neo 3800 CL14, they will run faster than the 4000 CL16 with about a 0.8ns first word access time improvement.
 

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus | 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AdamBGames said:

The lower the timings and CL the better, my advice, get the Trident Z Neo 3800 CL14, they will run faster than the 4000 CL16 with about a 0.8ns first word access time improvement.
 

This. And it might get a higher overclock if the memory controller can handle it without choking. But for stock op, the CL advantage is better than the speed as zen 3 ram speed benefits kinda stall out at 3800-4266 range.

Remember to press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited comments! Press F5 to do so! | Remember to press that check mark on the right answer that solve your problem! | React to your heart, not peer pressure!

 

"Wow, you want me to say ara ara? Really?"

- Clock Girl

Self Introduction and Current Rig

 

🏳️‍⚧️ Rights

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AdamBGames said:

The lower the timings and CL the better, my advice, get the Trident Z Neo 3800 CL14, they will run faster than the 4000 CL16 with about a 0.8ns first word access time improvement.
 

 

9 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

This. And it might get a higher overclock if the memory controller can handle it without choking. But for stock op, the CL advantage is better than the speed as zen 3 ram speed benefits kinda stall out at 3800-4266 range.

 

I always went with single sticks of 8gb to make a total of 32gb. Always been told that this is better. should i go with 2x16 or try and go for 4x8

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, twk3D said:

or try and go for 4x8

4*8 is more favorable in this case due to the love of zen 3 in particular to dual rank RAM. But if itll gonna cost you way more than that 3800 CL14 2*16 kit, then no.

 

 

Remember to press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited comments! Press F5 to do so! | Remember to press that check mark on the right answer that solve your problem! | React to your heart, not peer pressure!

 

"Wow, you want me to say ara ara? Really?"

- Clock Girl

Self Introduction and Current Rig

 

🏳️‍⚧️ Rights

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SorryClaire said:

4*8 is more favorable in this case due to the love of zen 3 in particular to dual rank RAM. But if itll gonna cost you way more than that 3800 CL14 2*16 kit, then no.

 

 

thank you again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, the best bin of b die that you can currently get is the corsair 4000 16-16-16-36 at 1.4v. 

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/CMK16GX4M2Z4000C16?utm_source=google&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_term="keyword"&utm_content=corsair

 

insane bin, insane price.

 

out or the ones you listed, 4000 16-19 could just be a really good bin of djr so i wouldnt get it, and the toughram is pretty shart. get the 3800 14-16-16, guaranteed b die

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

By the way, the best bin of b die that you can currently get is the corsair 4000 16-16-16-36 at 1.4v. 

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/CMK16GX4M2Z4000C16?utm_source=google&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_term="keyword"&utm_content=corsair

 

insane bin, insane price.

 

out or the ones you listed, 4000 16-19 could just be a really good bin of djr so i wouldnt get it, and the toughram is pretty shart. get the 3800 14-16-16, guaranteed b die

 

 

yeah i went with the 3800 14-16-16 in 4x8. thanks everyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to clarify a few things in case anybody else picks up on this thread, I don't want an entry level building thinking they need to go out and get 3800Mhz CL14 memory! Normally I'd be coaxing people into 3600Mhz CL16 memory, which is a good compromise.... Traditional sweetspot for pre-Zen3 builds has been ~3200Mhz and CL14/CL16, whatever your budget would allow. 

 

With that out the way and looking at the rest of the spec, it's for this one, you are aiming high and budget is not an issue!

 

The traditional advice has changed with Zen3 (Ryzen5000): as you have done, you really need to aim for 3600Mhz as a minimum for high end rigs, but you get diminishing returns after 3800Mhz and negative returns if you're sacrificing CAS latency as the frequency increases...

 

Sweet spot of the three you suggested is likely to be: 

2. G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3800 CL14-16-16-36 32GB (16GBx2)

 

But then as as per previous comment - if you're chasing that last few % of memory performance - something you will only really see for work that needs that last ounce of memory latency, then 4 sticks of Dual Rank.... but just remember that some of the benefits get down to 1-2% differences at already very high scores, so they will NOT be noticeable even in 99% of gaming, but as I said, you're clearly aiming high and budget is not really a concerns so... 

 

56 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

4*8 is more favorable in this case due to the love of zen 3 in particular to dual rank RAM. But if itll gonna cost you way more than that 3800 CL14 2*16 kit, then no.

 

 

 

 

it's been a few months since I watched these, but as I recall both Steves seemed to agree:

 

My mid-budget workstation/gamer: Ryzen2700X @4.25Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, ASUS Prime B450, Palit 1660SuperOC, 32Gb Vengeance DDR4-3200C16, M.2 EVO970Plus, M.2 WDSN550, 2x 8Tb WD80EFAX, PCP&C "Silencer" 610W 80+(from 2008!!), Corsair Carbide330R case + 4x NF-A14's, Gigabyte M27Q (27"/1440P/170Hz), Asus PA248 (24"/1200P/60Hz), Dell WFP2408 (24"/1200P/60Hz), Gigabyte GC-WB1733D-I (BT+WiFi), G110 kbd, G502 mouse, Lindy BNX-60 headset. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That 4000Mhz C16 RAM above sounds insane as latency can play a huge part: in the GN testing, 3200Mhz C14 beats even the 3800Mhz RAM in **most** gaming benchmarks, but they were running C18, 4000Mhz C16 could be the new sweet spot!

My mid-budget workstation/gamer: Ryzen2700X @4.25Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, ASUS Prime B450, Palit 1660SuperOC, 32Gb Vengeance DDR4-3200C16, M.2 EVO970Plus, M.2 WDSN550, 2x 8Tb WD80EFAX, PCP&C "Silencer" 610W 80+(from 2008!!), Corsair Carbide330R case + 4x NF-A14's, Gigabyte M27Q (27"/1440P/170Hz), Asus PA248 (24"/1200P/60Hz), Dell WFP2408 (24"/1200P/60Hz), Gigabyte GC-WB1733D-I (BT+WiFi), G110 kbd, G502 mouse, Lindy BNX-60 headset. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×