Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[HELP NEEDE] How to test if your router losing internet connection?

Hey all. 

I have an issue with my internet provider, and devices they provide. 

I would like to test if router loosing connection to the internet, or maybe the router at fault. 
I am not even sure. 

I would like to test for hours, if router loosing connection, or not. 

The only test I know, is too ping to google.com 

Do you have maybe any other suggestions please ? 

CPU - i7 4790k, Motherboard - Asus Hero VII, Memory  - HyperX Beast 1600mhz 16GB ,

GPU GTX 1070 MSI Gaming-X 8GB,  Case - Corsair 760T black,

Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 250 + 500 GB  + WD blue 1TB,

PSU - Corsair HX750i, Display - Samsung 24 inch 1080p,  Cooling - Noctua HN15D, 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker, Mouse - Logitech G502, Operating System - Win 7 Pro

4 minutes ago, keavlar said:

Hey all. 

I have an issue with my internet provider, and devices they provide. 

I would like to test if router loosing connection to the internet, or maybe the router at fault. 
I am not even sure. 

I would like to test for hours, if router loosing connection, or not. 

The only test I know, is too ping to google.com 

Do you have maybe any other suggestions please ? 

google "what is my internet speed"

Current pc for gaming , game making and editing

Spoiler
  • CPU
    ryzen 5 3600x
    4.6 ghz (OC) with NZXT AIO water cooler
  • Motherboard
    b450 tomahawk max
  • Ram
    (2x32) 64gb Corsair vengance ddr4 3200 mhz
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG strix gtx 1660 super
    6gb
  • Case
    NZXT h510 black case
  • Storage
    4tb rocket nvme
  • PSU
    1000w 80+ plus platinum
  • Display(s)
    dual curved 32'' 144hz monitors (sceptre)(connected by hdmi)
  • Cooling
    corsair fans RGB (1,500 rpm)
  • Keyboard
    redragon model S101-3 (WIRED)
  • Mouse
    redragon model S101-3 3200 DPI (WIRED)
  • Sound
    Butfulake over-ear headphones (BT)
  • Operating System
    windows 10 pro x64 bit

What im working on

Spoiler
CPU
Core i5-10600k
Motherboard 
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming
Ram
Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4000mhz 2x32 64gb
GPU
Nvidia rtx 3060 (from gamer girlfriend)
Case

Lian Li pc-o11dw 

Storage
1tb rocket nvme
PSU
950w 80+ gold
Display(s)
1080p 60hz testing monitor
Cooling
stock cooling fans
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
mining pc
Spoiler

CPU

intel pentium 4 @ 5.0 ghz

Motherboard 

ASUS P4P800-E

Ram

ddr 120mhz +20mhz 4gb (4x1)

GPU

2x radeon rx 550 25-33 mh/s

Case

Random case lying around the house

Storage

5tb wd blue hdd 10,000 rpm

PSU

1,200w 80+ titanium

Display(s)

ips panel vga 75hz

Cooling

custom waterblock for rx 550's

Operating System

ubuntu linux x64 , nicehash mining software

Other option, start a download of a ton of Linux .ISOs, see if any time out.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

1 minute ago, LTT_fanboy said:

google "what is my internet speed"

THat's only going to give the OP a very brief 10 second burst of network traffic. If the router is dying from overheating, for example, that won't manifest itself under a speedtest.

When I experience "internet problems" I usually use 2 cmds;

one that is running with "ping google.com -t", and the other with "ping 8.8.8.8 -t"
Then just watch as the cmd pings and look for drops. 

The reason why I ping both google.com and 8.8.8.8 is because the ISP can experience DNS issues, so if you see the cmd that's pinging google.com having drops but not the one pining 8.8.8.8, then you know it's a DNS issue. You can solve DNS issues yourself, by setting a static one in Windows. 

Intel Core i7-8700K@4.7GHz, -0.095mV  ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080 Ti OC LC@2085MHz, 931mV + 20Gbps MEM OC  G.SKILL TridentZ RG4x8GB@3600MHz, 16-16-16-36, 1.35V 
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB  Crucial MX500 2TB  Crucial MX300 1.05TB 

Corsair HXi 1200W 80-PLUS Platinum 

11 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

pingplotter

https://www.pingplotter.com/ This can help with things like packetloss

Maybe also wireshark

https://www.wireshark.org/

This is the only useful answer so far if you truly want to do a prolonged test. 

We use pingplotter in a professional environment to map the health of customers broadband connections over multiple days. I believe the free option should still give you basic functionality.  

What I would do is open two instances of the program (in our paid copys you can do multiple tests within one instance but i'm not sure about the free one) and start a test to something public like 8.8.8.8. In another, start a test directly to your router's local IP (it'll be something like 192.168.1.1 or maybe 192.168.0.1, you have to verify). 

Let them go for as long as you want and just review the graphs. 

5800x/3090

2 minutes ago, rickeo said:

This is the only useful answer so far if you truly want to do a prolonged test. 

We use pingplotter in a professional environment to map the health of customers broadband connections over multiple days. I believe the free option should still give you basic functionality.  

What I would do is open two instances of the program (in our paid copys you can do multiple tests within one instance but i'm not sure about the free one) and start a test to something public like 8.8.8.8. In another, start a test directly to your router's local IP (it'll be something like 192.168.1.1 or maybe 192.168.0.1, you have to verify). 

Let them go for as long as you want and just review the graphs. 

Thank you. Part of my job is network testing so we have some useful tools (both hardware and soft) and sometimes tracking down router issues (or internal wiring, or ISP issues or or or...) can really be a PITA.

I had a similar issue, for months I was only getting like 100Mbps on speedtest even though I have a subscription for 1Gbps.

For some time, I assumed it might be Windows rot, lots of programs using up bandwidth parasitically, with the total effect adding up to a very small amount of bandwidth left.

After I've built a new PC a few days ago, installed a new Windows and did the speed test again and got crap results again, I realised this can't be from the computer.

So I called the internet provider and told them angrily that I'm only getting 10% of the speed from the contract and I don't know why I'm paying for this.

The operator, very calmly told me to unplug the cable from the router and plug it directly in the motherboard's Ethernet port. Then create a new dialup broadband connection from scratch. After I introduced the credentials and fired up the browser, I did a new speed test and I couldn't believe my eyes. 1Gbps download and 500Mbps upload again, exactly like in the contract.

I'm still trying to understand wtf could have choked the connection so much for months if not years, it must have been the router or the very long Cat cable that ran between my the router and the PC.

So, imo, try plugging the cable directly in your mobo/network card and create a new connection with your credentials and see if this solves it.

type CMD into your "Start" 

ot open command prompt

ping google.de -t 

open command prompt in another window and ping the router might be something like

ping 192.168.0.1 -t

or

ping fritz.box -t

or

192.168.178.1 -t

the -t is for endless pinging 

if your connection to the router is gone you know your router is at fault. if it is to google your internet provider has a bad service. 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz RAM, Modified 2060S, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.