Activating W10 Pro on new SSD + other related questions!

KatanaDV20

Hello friends聽馃榾

I just ordered a 250GB聽SSD which will replace the old and slow spinner as the boot drive.聽This will be for Windows 10 Pro only & other relevant programs. Data (the bulk of which are聽Steam game files) will remain on the old school spinner.聽 It will be a fresh install using the Media Creation Tool Win10 image.

This is the current configuration:

• C: <------Windows & everything else聽 - including Steam games聽 [spinner]

This will be the new configuration:

• C: <------Windows聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 [SSD]
  • D:<-------聽Everything else聽 - including Steam games聽 [spinner]

I had some questions, I hope for your help:

1. Do I need to "deactivate" W10 to "unlink" it from the old drive before installing it on the new one? My Win10 is activated with a digital license linked to my MS account.
  2. Or do I just connect the SSD and go ahead with installing W10 on it and it will just go through activation again as usual?
  3. I can just install Steam on the new SSD, point it to the games on the old drive and all will be well? I cant imagine having to download gazillions of GB worth of games again聽馃槼
  4. Do I need to disconnect the SATA cable from the old drive before installing Win10 on the new one? (To tell the PC that the SSD is the new boot drive)聽 Because once I install W10 to the SSD the PC will have Win10 on 2 drives - both bootable.
  5. If the above is wrong how do I go about it - making the SSD the default boot C: drive?

Sorry if some questions are silly sounding but I better be sure than wonder and get stuck. Thanks friends.

1: no, should be fine without doing anything

2: yes

3: not sure if you can do it exactly that way, but you can just make a new install for steam and copy them there, no need to redownload

4: yes, make sure your hdd is not connected when installing win10 on the ssd, then you can connect it after.

if windows doesn't automatically activate after the install, then it should once your ms account is added.

@bmx6454oh great thanks for your reply, good to know. Its just arrived so Im gonna fit it in now.