What is a good speed I should put my 140mm fans at when gaming?

Go to solution Solved by Demonic Donut,

Download MSI Kombuster.

Download HWInfo.

Download FanControl (from these forums).

Run all three programs.

In fan control, set fans to the highest RPM you consider "silent" or at least quiet enough. For me, that's about 30-35%. You can also try to find your "max allowable" RPM, or the speed that you find your fans too loud.

Run Kombuster and run a gpu stress test on loop + CPU burner on threads equal to system total minus two. For my Ryzen 3600, that's 10 threads.

Monitor temps on HWInfo. Adjust fans as needed. I found, for my system, anything over 60% on the case and cpu fans does (almost) nothing for my temps.

Set up curves as you desire. When I'm gaming, I hate fans changing rpm if I'm not wearing headphones, so I generally lock fans to 60%, except GPU which are up around 90%.

I just need a good starting point for my fan curve.

This is like asking a good color. There is no such thing. Identify what you want first. How loud you want your fans to be or how cool your components to be. Then start tweaking.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

12 minutes ago, Levent said:

This is like asking a good color. There is no such thing. Identify what you want first. How loud you want your fans to be or how cool your components to be. Then start tweaking.

I have 6 case fans 2 running at 900 rpm ( both exaust) and the other 4 running at 1500 rpm. If i ran the other 4 at say 1200 rpm how much hotter would my pc get?

3 minutes ago, Matthew10 said:

I have 6 case fans 2 running at 900 rpm ( both exaust) and the other 4 running at 1500 rpm. If i ran the other 4 at say 1200 rpm how much hotter would my pc get?

I cannot know that. It's a pretty simple thing to test for you though.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Matthew10 said:

The only way to find that answer is to test it yourself. As Levent mentioned, you have to choose between cooling and silence. The only way to find the "optimal" fan curve is to test out various fan speeds and see what temps look like for your components. Then based on that information decide the level of noise vs thermals you feel are acceptable. (Assuming that nothing is thermal throttling)

In my case, the loudest component are the GPU fans. So, I set my case fans at speed that keeps the GPU fans quiet enough to not annoy me while gaming.

System specs? How are the fans positioned?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

30 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

System specs? How are the fans positioned?

Pretty irrelevant for answering his question. There is no way to answer the question without much more info about the ambient conditions. 

8 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Pretty irrelevant for answering his question. There is no way to answer the question without much more info about the ambient conditions. 

I don't see how ambient conditions are any more important if at all. High ambient temps would just raise needed fan speeds across the board. Effective fan speeds for lowering temps and minimizing noise is dependent on the fans available, where they are placed, and the components that need cooling. 

For example, a blower graphics card relies more on fresh intake whereas an open air card relies more on exhaust fans for cooling, In this example, raising exhaust fan speeds for a blower style graphics card needlessly increase noise without as much benefit. Some fans are also noisier than others at specified rpm. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

I don't see how ambient conditions are any more important if at all. High ambient temps would just raise needed fan speeds across the board. Effective fan speeds for lowering temps and minimizing noise is dependent on the fans available, where they are placed, and the components that need cooling. 

For example, a blower graphics card relies more on fresh intake whereas an open air card relies more on exhaust fans for cooling, In this example, raising exhaust fan speeds for a blower style graphics card needlessly increase noise without as much benefit. Some fans are also noisier than others at specified rpm. 

His question was "what speed should u put my 140 fan".... Pretty clear that it is not a blower... And you said yourself that ambient will dictate the fan speed... 

19 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

His question was "what speed should u put my 140 fan".... Pretty clear that it is not a blower... And you said yourself that ambient will dictate the fan speed... 

Higher ambient can raise required fan speeds relative to whatever fan speeds would've otherwise worked. It alone doesn't dictate a required fan speed.

Download MSI Kombuster.

Download HWInfo.

Download FanControl (from these forums).

Run all three programs.

In fan control, set fans to the highest RPM you consider "silent" or at least quiet enough. For me, that's about 30-35%. You can also try to find your "max allowable" RPM, or the speed that you find your fans too loud.

Run Kombuster and run a gpu stress test on loop + CPU burner on threads equal to system total minus two. For my Ryzen 3600, that's 10 threads.

Monitor temps on HWInfo. Adjust fans as needed. I found, for my system, anything over 60% on the case and cpu fans does (almost) nothing for my temps.

Set up curves as you desire. When I'm gaming, I hate fans changing rpm if I'm not wearing headphones, so I generally lock fans to 60%, except GPU which are up around 90%.