Mix of random and event-based stuttering in games.

Making a  post about this issue was my last resort.

I built this PCC near the end of December 2020. Here are the specs:

PSU: DeepCool DQ 850W

CPU: Intel i9-10850K

GPU: Asus TUF Gaming GeForce RTX™ 3070

MOBO: Asus Prime Z490P

RAM: T-Force Delta 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz

SSD: Crucical 1TB P2 NVMe M.2

A couple weeks after building the PC and playing multiple games on it for an extensive amount, I began to notice the games stuttering very frequently. By stuttering I mean the game literally freezing for a split second then resuming. I managed to clip a few instances of the stutters just to give an idea:

1. https://www.twitch.tv/secrethandshake/clip/GoodPleasantShinglePanicBasket?filter=clips&range=all&sort=time

2. https://www.twitch.tv/secrethandshake/clip/FairUninterestedPangolinPJSalt?filter=clips&range=all&sort=time

3. https://www.twitch.tv/secrethandshake/clip/PiliableSpinelessKleePeoplesChamp?filter=clips&range=all&sort=time

This is when I began to monitor my temps and found nothing out of the ordinary, no spikes in temperature, no overheating, CPU would reach a max of 65 when under heavy load and both GPU and CPU hover at around 35-45 at all times during games.

Below is a list of the games that I've tested so far and what I noticed in each one:

1. Valorant: Stuttering happens at random times and sometimes during events like round start/end, kill announcements, ace, etc. Also connection issues? never had them on my old pc.

2. World of Warcraft: Stuttering ALL the time! when running in cities, entering new zones, fighting monsters, you name it. I notice stuttering when an event is triggered and when nothing is happening.

3. CSGO: Stuttering happens randomly.

4. Apex Legends: Stuttered once only when I got my very first kill.

5. Genshin Impact: Stuttering as much as every 10 seconds.

6. Warzone: No stuttering yet

7. Witcher 3: No stuttering

8. Overwatch: No stuttering

9. Diablo 3: Events such as attacking dashing causing stutters, as well as random stutters.

10. Assassin's Creed: Valhalla: No stuttering 

Things I've tried to fix the issue:

Hardware

- Swapped GPUs with a friend of mine, I tested his 3060ti and he tested my 3070, stuttering remained on my end, no issues on his.

- Tried 1 RAM stick at a time in all slots and then purchased a new pair of 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM.

- Swapped PSU with another 850W PSU.

-Tried each one of my monitors individually (one is 144Hz while the other is 60Hz).

- Changed my SSD to NVMe 500GB.

The stuttering persisted throughout all of this.

Software

- Clean installed Windows and all my games multiple times.

- Used DDU to uninstall my graphics drivers and tried different older versions.

- Updated my graphics driver to the latest version.

- Updated BIOS and chipset driver.

- Uninstalled GeForce Experience.

- I am not using Vsync, Gsync, Freesync or raytracing.

- Turned XMP on

- Turned XMP off

- overclocked CPU

- overclocked GPU

The stuttering persisted throughout all of this.

I use 2 monitors, the main one is 27" 144Hz connected via DisplayPort and the 2nd is 24" 60Hz connected via HDMI. I've tried playing with either monitor connected at a single time and swapped the main monitor's DP with the HDMI cable at 60Hz and the stuttering still remained. 

The only things I haven't replaced are the CPU, which are hard to test and considering the extensive testing they undergo during production, and the motherboard. I haven't read any blogposts or watched any videos mentioning the MOBO ever being the culprit but I'm all out of luck. I've tried everything I could thing of and read through every post where people claim to have stuttering issues.

I'm at my wit's end. I've thought of using my warranty since I still have 5 months left but I don't know wtf the problem is. Is it hardware? software? malware? firmware? Somebody please help I am actually bringing myself to tears just thinking of how much I suffered with this PC. It was supposed to be finally spoiling myself for graduating from college but it's been a nightmare. My old PC NEVER had any of these problems, EVER.

Somebody please help.

😞

PS: I've also noticed my monitors flickering horizontal bars from time to time. they aren't any specific color, just darker than the current brightness. Happens on both monitors, more so in games.

😞

The good thing about warranties is that as long as they don't fight u over a warranty sticker (in which case you should fight back, since they are illegal), they always have a couple samples of everything reserved for the RMA department to issue as replacements while they troubleshoot issues. So if you want, you can claim a warranty on as much of you can, and use spares in the meantime. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

Do you have an xbox controller connected via bluetooth?

Do you have any USB devices connected? 

Do you have any secondary hard drives connected?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

42 minutes ago, Nathanpete said:

The good thing about warranties is that as long as they don't fight u over a warranty sticker (in which case you should fight back, since they are illegal), they always have a couple samples of everything reserved for the RMA department to issue as replacements while they troubleshoot issues. So if you want, you can claim a warranty on as much of you can, and use spares in the meantime. 

Im leaving my warrany as the llast resort because I still dont know what components are faulty, if any. Idk what components to claim lol

20 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Do you have an xbox controller connected via bluetooth?

I do not.

Do you have any USB devices connected? 

Peripherals, mouse, keyboard, usb extenders.

Do you have any secondary hard drives connected?

just the 1TB SSD in my PC, no externals

8 minutes ago, lickedmywaytothegum said:

I do not.

Peripherals, mouse, keyboard, usb extenders.

just the 1TB SSD in my PC, no externals

Try removing any unecessary USB hubs or extenders and also unplug the hard drive and see if that changes anything.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

40 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Try removing any unecessary USB hubs or extenders and also unplug the hard drive and see if that changes anything.

tested all USB periphrals, stuttering still remained

5 minutes ago, lickedmywaytothegum said:

tested all USB periphrals, stuttering still remained

hard drive?

2 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

hard drive?

as id mentioned in the post, I swapped out my SSD for another one, problem still there. I dont have an HDD just a 1TB SSD