NVME 2280 compatibility for Gigabyte TRX40 Designare

Hey everyone,

I live in Brazil and our selection of NVMEs is relatively small. Like WD Blues and ADATA Spectrix and Swordfishs. The problem I have is that I mostly go through the Support Page of Gigabyte for my particular board, look up the identification code for example for the Samsung Evo 970 Plus MZ-V7E500 and I have issues finding stock, but in some cases I find units that seem to be entered in the list of supporting a 500GB chip but not the code for 1TB or 2 TB. So the question being asked, does it matter at all if I ram 4 M2s on the board itself and another 4 in my AIC Controller that NEED to be on the Support list or dont they...Its frustrating.

NVME AICs usually dont care about the compatibility as they usually just bifurcate the pcie lanes theyre plugged into to a bunch of M.2 slots thats on the AIC. Same with M.2 slots on the motherboard, as long as its sized correctly with right keying it should work.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

3 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

sized correctly with right keying

Thank you for your response. Could you please explain this in a little more detail, I never heard the term keying before maybe I understand it better in laymans terms.

6 minutes ago, MarkusRK200 said:

I never heard the term keying before

M.2 has multiple keys, made to avoid customers from accidentally shoving incompatible modules in an m.2 slot. For storage, there are 3 common ones. B Key, M Key and combination (B+M/M+B).

M.2 to USB Adapter, AUYOUWEI B Key M.2 SSD to USB 3.0 Adapter/2280 M2 SSD  Drive Adapter/NGFF Converter Reader (No Cable Needed): Memory Card  Accessories: Amazon.com.au

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.