Motherboard does not boot with my Perfectly working 1080ti

Ok so guys i really need help and its kinda beating me and all my friends we just cant figure out what is up with my setup 

-Ryzen 9 3900x 

-Aorus master B550 

-Aorus 1080ti

-Psu Cooler Master V750 semi modular

-Balistix sport Ram 2x8gb 

So we thought my gpu died and so i plug in a 1060 strix And everything boots and works with no problem but when my gpu is in the slot the pc doesnt post nothing like if its dead the only funny thing is the gpu spins the fans at normal speeds and but the white led lights on it dont work (fan stop,aorus letters,) but when i brought my gpu to the repair store they said its all good it ran unigine for hours no problem 

I tried bios update and i think the gpu has the newest bios aswell i tried connecting to HDMI DVI and Displayport and vareity of other adaptors nothing 

i tried diferent pcie slot  and ram memory order on the board 

THE ONLY thing i did not try cause i cant is to connect additional 4 pin cpu because i saw somewhere that it also powers additional stuff on the pc alongside the cpu cause it kinda seems the gpu is out of power but on the other side 750W sounds like more than enough Even the people at the repair shop are just confused i checked the compatibility list of each part individualy and everything should be ok 

because if it ran 1060 why wouldnt it run a 1080ti the only difference between  those two is the power draw.....

Please help guys id appreciate your ideas 

4 minutes ago, Ivan933 said:

because if it ran 1060 why wouldnt it run a 1080ti the only difference between  those two is the power draw.....

Try entering the BIOS with your 1060 and changing Settings > Miscellaneous > PCIe Slot Configuration from Auto to Gen 3.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

3 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

Try entering the BIOS with your 1060 and changing Settings > Miscellaneous > PCIe Slot Configuration from Auto to Gen 3.

Yes that has been done too when the 1060 was in the pc we went to bios and put it on 3.0 instead of Default (automatic)

5 minutes ago, Ivan933 said:

Yes that has been done too when the 1060 was in the pc we went to bios and put it on 3.0 instead of Default (automatic)

The only other thing that I can come up is one of the PCIe power cables being faulty. Have you attempted to power your 1060 with each PCIe power cable individually?

23 minutes ago, Ivan933 said:

THE ONLY thing i did not try cause i cant is to connect additional 4 pin cpu because i saw somewhere that it also powers additional stuff on the pc alongside the cpu cause it kinda seems the gpu is out of power but on the other side 750W sounds like more than enough Even the people at the repair shop are just confused i checked the compatibility list of each part individualy and everything should be ok 

The extra 4-pin CPU power connector is for overclocking. It is completely optional, and will not impact system stability.

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

5 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

The only other thing that I can come up is one of the PCIe power cables being faulty. Have you attempted to power your 1060 with each PCIe power cable individually?

The extra 4-pin CPU power connector is for overclocking. It is completely optional, and will not impact system stability.

This is the only thing (attachment) that put that doubt in my thinking but i still think 750 watts and its a golden certificate psu because if the board was broken ok but then no pice device would run right ? 

Snip.PNG

4 minutes ago, Ivan933 said:

This is the only thing (attachment) that put that doubt in my thinking but i still think 750 watts and its a golden certificate psu because if the board was broken ok but then no pice device would run right ? 

It's pretty unlikely that this is the issue. I never encountered stability issues when not connecting the extra 4-pin power connector, even when using a X570 + R9 3900X + 3070 with a 650w PSU.

Desktop

Homelab

Just now, PorkishPig said:

It's pretty unlikely that this is the issue. I never encountered stability issues when not connecting the extra 4-pin power connector, even when using a X570 + R9 3900X + 3070 with a 650w PSU.

@PorkishPigBtw mate thanks a bunch for this so im not alone in this problem but i think this is a question worthy of linus himself because nobody seems to get this and whats even funnier is that mobo and gpu are Aorus and judging by your text yeah it should not be an issue.

But one thing did happen when i connected the setup for the first time the PSU was EVGA P2 650 W platinum plus and it wouldnt start (before was working no problem on an X299 i7 7800x and this very gpu ) and the repairmen told me that the psu died when they checked something if i recall it wouldnt give the 5v where it should have.

thats why i got a CM V750 gold 

5 minutes ago, Ivan933 said:

But one thing did happen when i connected the setup for the first time the PSU was EVGA P2 650 W platinum plus and it wouldnt start (before was working no problem on an X299 i7 7800x and this very gpu ) and the repairmen told me that the psu died when they checked something if i recall it wouldnt give the 5v where it should have.

Unless the PSU was actually dead, this sounds like a pretty unnecessary upgrade. The SuperNOVA P2 is a relatively high quality unit, and was definitely still under warranty.

Realistically, the only thing I can see being at fault is your PSU, especially considering that another 10 Series card works just fine. Did you have any luck testing both PCIe power cables?

Desktop

Homelab

17 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

Unless the PSU was actually dead, this sounds like a pretty unnecessary upgrade. The SuperNOVA P2 is a relatively high quality unit, and was definitely still under warranty.

Realistically, the only thing I can see being at fault is your PSU, especially considering that another 10 Series card works just fine. Did you have any luck testing both PCIe power cables?

i tried both 8 pin connectors and the jacks on the card where i plug them in the lights turn on.

and yeah i think also that evga might not be dead after all but im just afraid its risky with all this gpu market situation to experiment 

2 minutes ago, Ivan933 said:

and yeah i think also that evga might not be dead after all but im just afraid its risky with all this gpu market situation to experiment 

There is a pretty low risk in testing the EVGA P2. I'd suggest at least giving it a try with your 1060.

Desktop

Homelab

6 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

There is a pretty low risk in testing the EVGA P2. I'd suggest at least giving it a try with your 1060.

well at least like bring it to test in the repairshop and see in detail so if its safe i can sell both of them and get a high end one but still if it somehow prooves to be a PSU issue

but still its rather more than confusing im just running out of solutions i just cant figure it out.

1 hour ago, Ivan933 said:

I think this is a question worthy of linus himself because nobody seems to get this and whats even funnier is that mobo and gpu are Aorus and judging by your text yeah it should not be an issue.

Linus isn't THAT smart, and he and his entire staff are going to be busy. There are plenty of members on this forum that know just as much about troubleshooting as somebody like Anthony, the just may be offline, and now that your post is out of the sidebar, it is unlikely to be found. 

I assume you have been doing all this testing with the stock BIOS settings (except for PCIe generation) and not been running XMP or a performance mode, right? Removing these won't fix your issue, will just remove unnecessary variables that nobody wants to deal with when troubleshooting. This step has saved forum members before from a situation where they were just stumped. For example one member I helped out with turned out they didn't specifiy their motherboard, bought the wrong memory, and their computer refused to boot after enabling XMP. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

1 minute ago, Nathanpete said:

Linus isn't THAT smart, and he and his entire staff are going to be busy. There are plenty of members on this forum that know just as much about troubleshooting as somebody like Anthony, the just may be offline, and now that your post is out of the sidebar, it is unlikely to be found. 

I assume you have been doing all this testing with the stock BIOS settings (except for PCIe generation) and not been running XMP or a performance mode, right? Removing these won't fix your issue, will just remove unnecessary variables that nobody wants to deal with when troubleshooting. This step has saved forum members before from a situation where they were just stumped. For example one member I helped out with turned out they didn't specifiy their motherboard, bought the wrong memory, and their computer refused to boot after enabling XMP. 

yes all the settings are on the Default values and i double checked the compatibility of my ram with my motherboard and as i previously said the pc would boot flawlessly with the 1060 thats how i managed to access bios and at least take a look if something is off And yeah by Default the XMP is turned off in the bios settings.

1 minute ago, Ivan933 said:

yes all the settings are on the Default values and i double checked the compatibility of my ram with my motherboard and as i previously said the pc would boot flawlessly with the 1060 thats how i managed to access bios and at least take a look if something is off And yeah by Default the XMP is turned off in the bios settings.

Yep, for some reason JEDEC requires motherboards to not auto-enable XMP. The strange part is that these are both Pascal cards. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

Yep, for some reason JEDEC requires motherboards to not auto-enable XMP. The strange part is that these are both Pascal cards. 

Yeah and mine ran unigine for 3 hrs in the Pc shop with no hickups or issues and it was connected to a basic cpu mobo ram and psu ...

and 1060 and 1080 ti are both pascal both 3.0 

i just wish if i could conclude what is the problem so i can either sell the mobo or the psu and get another one instead.

3 minutes ago, Ivan933 said:

Yeah and mine ran unigine for 3 hrs in the Pc shop with no hickups or issues and it was connected to a basic cpu mobo ram and psu ...

and 1060 and 1080 ti are both pascal both 3.0 

i just wish if i could conclude what is the problem so i can either sell the mobo or the psu and get another one instead.

That is where starting a troubleshooting process gets expensive, because you always need to have a "know good" sample for every kind of component. Was the basic system they were using at the shop also AM4? 

That is where starting a troubleshooting process gets expensive, because you always need to have a "know good" sample for every kind of component. Was the basic system they were using at the shop also AM4? 

i was there when they took out a high end mobo for my cpu and test everything on a completely another setup but they didnt call me so i guess they are gonna test it out tomorrow

On 5/18/2021 at 4:58 PM, Nathanpete said:

yeah all was tested and i tried 4 different 1080ti-s (ZOTAC,MSI ,STRIX,ASUS) its just plain bad luck and briliant enginering that a AORUS motherboard and gpu dont go together......

• 1 year later...

Old thread i know. I'm not sure if mine is the same issue

My case

- Asus TUF x570 plus gaming mobo

- Zotac 1080 ti GPU

Issue

Won't boot, black screen, no POST

GPU fans running, power light normal

Solution

Enable CSM (Compatibility Support Module) in BIOS works for me.

Might be specific to my case. Hope this helps someone.

Sharing is caring.