RAM SLOT 1 and 2 is NOT WORKING

I recently swapped out my stock cpu cooler to an AIO. It was smoothly done with no errors. I managed to remove the stock cooler smoothly since I ran multiple tests to raise the temperature to reduce the hold of the thermal paste.

However, on startup I discovered that my computer wouldn't post if I had ram in the 1st or 2nd dimm slots. I checked both of my ram sticks in slots 3 and 4 and they both worked as the computer would start up.

I need to be able to use my 2nd dimm slot for dual channel memory on my board (2-4),  so this problem is stopping me from doing so.

Specs: Ryzen 3600, MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC, GTX 1660 Super, Trident Z Neo (2x8GB Ram 3200mhz)

Have you tried reseating the CPU? It could be possible that when you were removing the stock cooler, you have lifted the CPU just a tiny bit.

Full time technology enthusiast, part time IT.

First try a CMOS reset and see if it fixes anything.

Second... Why is the ram not in slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 (Your MOBO  should have a diagram on where ram should be)

3rd Its possible your cpu isn't seated fully or correctly as if some pins are not making contact this could cause this issue.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

Just now, Pikatchu said:

Have you tried reseating the CPU? It could be possible that when you were removing the stock cooler, you have lifted the CPU just a tiny bit.

Yep. I did it twice. Earlier today. I checked if there were any bent pins but there were none. 

Just now, SignatureSigner said:

First try a CMOS reset and see if it fixes anything.

Second... Why is the ram not in slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 (Your MOBO  should have a diagram on where ram should be)

3rd Its possible your cpu isn't seated fully or correctly as if some pins are not making contact this could cause this issue.

1. I already did a CMOS reset using the jumper and the remove battery method.

2. The main priority of my board is in 2-4. I also can't do it in 1-3 since 1-2 slots are not working. I tried using an internal speaker and it beeped 3 times.

3. I tried reseating the cpu twice and checked if there were bent pins.

3 minutes ago, jeffcleds said:

1. I already did a CMOS reset using the jumper and the remove battery method.

2. The main priority of my board is in 2-4. I also can't do it in 1-3 since 1-2 slots are not working. I tried using an internal speaker and it beeped 3 times.

3. I tried reseating the cpu twice and checked if there were bent pins.

Have you tried 1 sick of ram at a time? from what I can find 3 beeps on startup indicates a ram issue. Was the Ez-Debug Led lighting up on anything specific?

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

Have you tried 1 sick of ram at a time? from what I can find 3 beeps on startup indicates a ram issue. Was the Ez-Debug Led lighting up on anything specific?

Yes. I tried single sticks and dual sticks simultaneously 

RAM in slot 1 only = No dislay
RAM in slot 2 only = No dislay
RAM in slot 3 only = Boot
RAM in slot 4 only = Boot

RAM in slot 1 and 2 = No display

RAM in slot 3 and 4 = Boot

The EZ debug is lighting on the DRAM.

Just now, jeffcleds said:

Yes. I tried single sticks and dual sticks simultaneously 

RAM in slot 1 only = No dislay
RAM in slot 2 only = No dislay
RAM in slot 3 only = Boot
RAM in slot 4 only = Boot

RAM in slot 1 and 2 = No display

RAM in slot 3 and 4 = Boot

The EZ debug is lighting on the DRAM.

If you have verified that both sicks can boot in 3&4 it might be a defective MOBO. If you can get a second opinion get that and take action from there. (It also could be a defective CPU its hard to tell) 

But get a second opinion before you do anything.

System Specs

Peripherals

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

If you have verified that both sicks can boot in 3&4 it might be a defective MOBO. If you can get a second opinion get that and take action from there. (It also could be a defective CPU its hard to tell) 

But get a second opinion before you do anything.

That's what I suspect as well. Might be motherboard or CPU. Now I kinda regret that I've upgraded my cooler. It's kinda frustrating. By the way, thank you for your responses. I appreciate it.

Hmm weird. Have you tried individual sticks in slot 1  and 2. As in one at a time? If it works with one and not the other, you got a bad stick.

Edit: OK nevermind 

10 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

2 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Hmm weird. Have you tried individual sticks in slot 1  and 2. As in one at a time? If it works with one and not the other, you got a bad stick.

Edit: OK nevermind 

Yep. Do you have any other suggestions that might help? 

I know you have said you already re-seated your CPU, but do it again, and be very very meticulous about doing it. Defective RAM slots are common symptom for a improperly seated CPU. And make sure when you attach the AIO again to screw down with one full turn on screw, then do the same to the screw in the opposite corner, then go to a different screw, and do the same, before going to the screw diagonal from that. 

This is called the X-method and will make sure every CPU pin is making contact. 

Also when you remove the CPU to reseat it, also remove all the RAM and make sure there are zero signs of damage or something in a socket or slot where there should be nothing. Like I once got an itty bitty tiny bit of thermal paste on like 6 pins on my AM4 socket. Put the CPU in caused it to get to the BIOS, but fail to complete the rest of the POST. But then, when I took off the cooler to fix the issue by putting a drop of IPO alcohol in the socket, and on the CPU pins (I didn't touch the pins at all, just a drop of liquid IPO alcohol, which is safe for electronics). And when that was done, I went to screw the cooler back in, over torqued the bottom left screw, and legitimately killed the motherboard by damaging one of the traces to the socket.

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

1 minute ago, Nathanpete said:

I know you have said you already re-seated your CPU, but do it again, and be very very meticulous about doing it. Defective RAM slots are common symptom for a improperly seated CPU. And make sure when you attach the AIO again to screw down with one full turn on screw, then do the same to the screw in the opposite corner, then go to a different screw, and do the same, before going to the screw diagonal from that. 

This is called the X-method and will make sure every CPU pin is making contact. 

Also when you remove the CPU to reseat it, also remove all the RAM and make sure there are zero signs of damage or something in a socket or slot where there should be nothing. Like I once got an itty bitty tiny bit of thermal paste on like 6 pins on my AM4 socket. Put the CPU in caused it to get to the BIOS, but fail to complete the rest of the POST. But then, when I took off the cooler to fix the issue by putting a drop of IPO alcohol in the socket, and on the CPU pins (I didn't touch the pins at all, just a drop of liquid IPO alcohol, which is safe for electronics). And when that was done, I went to screw the cooler back in, over torqued the bottom left screw, and legitimately killed the motherboard by damaging one of the traces to the socket.

Thank you! I'll give this a shot one more time on the weekend. I need to use my pc right now for work. 

I have a quesiton. Is it okay to not put the cooler temporarily while I check if it boots? I have been reapplying thermal pastes to test it LOL.

4 minutes ago, jeffcleds said:

Thank you! I'll give this a shot one more time on the weekend. I need to use my pc right now for work. 

I have a quesiton. Is it okay to not put the cooler temporarily while I check if it boots? I have been reapplying thermal pastes to test it LOL.

Your best chance is keep the computer on it's side (although you will need to lift the computer up to mess with the backplate unless your AIO uses the same backplate that came with your mobo, the usually don't), clean off the thermal paste, and place the old heatsink on top of it, either with hand pressure or with the screws, but without thermal paste. It will still get really fucking hot because of no thermal paste, but it will be a lot better than nothing at all. 

If you were using the stock cooler for the 3600 (the Wraith stealth), hold it down by the plastic edges, if you were using any other heatsink, wear a pair of heavy duty, heat resistant gloves. But even then, linus once did a video where you pushed an intel CPU down into the socket while wearing high heat resistance gloves and he still got burned. Albeit that CPU has a lot higher TDP than the R5 3600. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

14 minutes ago, Nathanpete said:

Your best chance is keep the computer on it's side (although you will need to lift the computer up to mess with the backplate unless your AIO uses the same backplate that came with your mobo, the usually don't), clean off the thermal paste, and place the old heatsink on top of it, either with hand pressure or with the screws, but without thermal paste. It will still get really fucking hot because of no thermal paste, but it will be a lot better than nothing at all. 

If you were using the stock cooler for the 3600 (the Wraith stealth), hold it down by the plastic edges, if you were using any other heatsink, wear a pair of heavy duty, heat resistant gloves. But even then, linus once did a video where you pushed an intel CPU down into the socket while wearing high heat resistance gloves and he still got burned. Albeit that CPU has a lot higher TDP than the R5 3600. 

Thank you! I'll update you once I tried this.

Btw, additional information. I added an internal speaker earlier today and it beeped 3 long. I don't know what that means since it is not listed on my motherboard's manual. My motherboard is B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC btw.

15 minutes ago, jeffcleds said:

Btw, additional information. I added an internal speaker earlier today and it beeped 3 long. I don't know what that means since it is not listed on my motherboard's manual. My motherboard is B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC btw.

um, 3 short is memory error, IDK about 3 long. Does your manual mention any other beep codes at all, or is the entire section not published?

2 minutes ago, Nathanpete said:

um, 3 short is memory error, IDK about 3 long. Does your manual mention any other beep codes at all, or is the entire section not published?

The entire section is not published. I only find 3 shorts on the web as well.

Reviving this thread. Any suggestions guys?

On 5/22/2021 at 4:16 PM, jeffcleds said:

Reviving this thread. Any suggestions guys?

Sorry I can't help, but I made an account to chime into this thread because my buddy's PC has the same issue. 3600x, MSI x570 Gaming Plus (craigslist find) and first two slots are dead exactly as you described. I'm hoping its the mobo because that was cheap and used - I would be upset if the new 3600x had a bad memory controller or something. I've done all the troubleshooting steps for usual memory issues, and my last idea is to wash out the AM4 socket with rubbing alcohol.

The funny thing is he doesn't care because he still gets like 80fps in Warzone with single channel memory, but It's honestly driving me insane.

7 hours ago, smalmthegreat said:

Sorry I can't help, but I made an account to chime into this thread because my buddy's PC has the same issue. 3600x, MSI x570 Gaming Plus (craigslist find) and first two slots are dead exactly as you described. I'm hoping its the mobo because that was cheap and used - I would be upset if the new 3600x had a bad memory controller or something. I've done all the troubleshooting steps for usual memory issues, and my last idea is to wash out the AM4 socket with rubbing alcohol.

The funny thing is he doesn't care because he still gets like 80fps in Warzone with single channel memory, but It's honestly driving me insane.

Hope we both find a solution to this.

• 2 months later...
On 5/24/2021 at 4:11 PM, jeffcleds said:

Hope we both find a solution to this.

Sorry for reviving but I need to know, if you have 1 stick on a bad slot, does it still show up on your mobo or on windows?