EKWB vertical GPU mount GPU is sitting kinda weird

bobzen

So i finally got to build my temporary air cooled pc and still waiting for my watercooling parts so i figured i could test the system on air so dont mind the shitty small air cooler lol

But i installed my GPU vertically and after i installed it i didnt notice that the gpu in bending inwards towards the motherboard until today which seems strange to me and now im starting to worry that when i put in hardline it will look like shit because i might not be able to get straight tubes 😕 

picture here of how the gpu sits in the case:

da5e850d9d5accd2906eb472cd4758c1.jpg

as you can see the GPU is bending inwards towards the motherboard the further it gets out which seems strange to me but i just noticed i missed a step when installing the gpu which is the following

4c8960fe83d73833236533fafbd9f28e.png

Reason i didnt put those 2 screws in is because when the GPU is in the mount it would be impossible for me to attach the mount to the motherboard because i wont be able to get a screwdriver in there because of missing space.

So is this the reason my GPU is crooked?

Would gladly accept any tips on how to get this GPU to sit in straight so i wont have problems when i need to watercool the damn thing because im watercooling the GPU and CPU and i would hate to end up with a hardline loop that looks like shit because i wont be able to get straight tubes because of my gpu mount.

Also i felt like i had to force the gpu mount into place where it attaches on the back of the case where the hdmi ports is to screw the mount on the case

Hopefully someone can help me here 😕 

Currently it is pretty much due to weight. The ekwb one is not meant for really heavy cards.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Currently it is pretty much due to weight. The ekwb one is not meant for really heavy cards.

Oh so when i put the waterblock on there it should sit straight? 

Just now, bobzen said:

Oh so when i put the waterblock on there it should sit straight? 

That and you did not put in the 2 most important screws. Those 2 screws are what keeps the card from shifting. Currently it is moving due to weight. With hardline tubes it can be held in place by the force of the tubes BUT I would still recommend you get those screws in. It shouldn't normally be an issue as that is normally where you screw in screws anyways for a gpu in the case.

That and you did not put in the 2 most important screws. Those 2 screws are what keeps the card from shifting. Currently it is moving due to weight. With hardline tubes it can be held in place by the force of the tubes BUT I would still recommend you get those screws in. It shouldn't normally be an issue as that is normally where you screw in screws anyways for a gpu in the case.

ah okay. So it should not be an issue running it like this for now? and then once im getting it on water i can mount it with the 2 screws at the io shield? reason i didnt put those screws in is because i couldnt get them in if i mount the gpu mount with the gpu in it first and i couldnt get the gpu mount to sit in the case if i put the card in before mounting it because i couldnt get the screws into the motherboard due to missing space lol. so what you are saying is once i put those 2 screws in it should sit perfectly straight? 🙂 

1 minute ago, bobzen said:

ah okay. So it should not be an issue running it like this for now? and then once im getting it on water i can mount it with the 2 screws at the io shield? reason i didnt put those screws in is because i couldnt get them in if i mount the gpu mount with the gpu in it first and i couldnt get the gpu mount to sit in the case if i put the card in before mounting it because i couldnt get the screws into the motherboard due to missing space lol. so what you are saying is once i put those 2 screws in it should sit perfectly straight? 🙂 

There should be space to put the screws into the card? At worst you need to temporarily move the fan in the case a bit and that is it.

It is not healthy for the card right now as there is a fair bit of stress on the pcie connector as that is all that is holding it in place really.

There should be space to put the screws into the card? At worst you need to temporarily move the fan in the case a bit and that is it.

It is not healthy for the card right now as there is a fair bit of stress on the pcie connector as that is all that is holding it in place really.

Its impossible to get them in when its mounted with a normal screwdriver

I linked a picture below where i marked out where the screws should go in

I can also see that the back is not sitting straight with the case so im pretty sure this is my problem so yes you are right i need those 2 screws in go get it to sit right 😞

Idk if i should leave it like this until i get it on water so i will have a pc or if its too risky and take it out of the pc and go without a pc for 1-2 months 😕 

can you get a special screwdriver for stuff like this? been googling stuff like angled screwdrivers but cant find anything in Denmark

e44074d591e21e781b8a7e9cbcfa321d.jpg

Its impossible to get them in when its mounted with a normal screwdriver

I linked a picture below where i marked out where the screws should go in

I can also see that the back is not sitting straight with the case so im pretty sure this is my problem so yes you are right i need those 2 screws in go get it to sit right 😞

Idk if i should leave it like this until i get it on water so i will have a pc or if its too risky and take it out of the pc and go without a pc for 1-2 months 😕 

can you get a special screwdriver for stuff like this? been googling stuff like angled screwdrivers but cant find anything in Denmark

e44074d591e21e781b8a7e9cbcfa321d.jpg

You should just be able to mount it by just angling your screwdriver a bit? Just don't put them in too tight.

As for angled screwdrivers right angle or flexible screwdrivers exist.

If you cannot fix it right now then take it out and put the card back in normally. You are currently putting unnecessary strain on the card, mounting hardware and possibly other parts it is connected too which isn't great for the pc.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You should just be able to mount it by just angling your screwdriver a bit? Just don't put them in too tight.

As for angled screwdrivers right angle or flexible screwdrivers exist.

If you cannot fix it right now then take it out and put the card back in normally. You are currently putting unnecessary strain on the card, mounting hardware and possibly other parts it is connected too which isn't great for the pc.

okay will see if i can get them in with a normal screwdriver if not im driving to the store to check if they have any angled screwdrivers or flexible so i can get those screws in 🙂  

EDIT: reason i didnt install it normally is because im pretty sure it wont fit in the case when connecting the pci cables

okay will see if i can get them in with a normal screwdriver if not im driving to the store to check if they have any angled screwdrivers or flexible so i can get those screws in 🙂  

EDIT: reason i didnt install it normally is because im pretty sure it wont fit in the case when connecting the pci cables

This is an O11 right? That case fits any card and there looks to be plenty of space in the case for the card + cables.

Just now, jaslion said:

This is an O11 right? That case fits any card and there looks to be plenty of space in the case for the card + cables.

Yea o11d XL. Ok i guess if im not able to get the screws in im installing the card normally. Also got a GPU support with the motherboard so i can use that for it not to sag. Will update later today. There shouldnt be any problems just angling the card in right position and screwing the 2 back screws in while its sitting in the case right? 🙂  of course not using any force

Yea o11d XL. Ok i guess if im not able to get the screws in im installing the card normally. Also got a GPU support with the motherboard so i can use that for it not to sag. Will update later today. There shouldnt be any problems just angling the card in right position and screwing the 2 back screws in while its sitting in the case right? 🙂  of course not using any force

If it sits it fits basically :p.

25 minutes ago, jaslion said:

If it sits it fits basically :p.

Haha true well then theoretically its sitting just fine now xD just gotta adjust it to sit straight lol 😄 

23 minutes ago, bobzen said:

Haha true well then theoretically its sitting just fine now xD just gotta adjust it to sit straight lol 😄 

Well currently it sits but don't fits :p.

Well currently it sits but don't fits :p.

true 😄 still looking online for stores near me which has flexible screwdrivers and i found this hopefully that will work for me 😄 but ideally i would like one that could bend a sharp 90 degree angle so i will be able to attach the holder with the GPU installed in the future when im switching to hardline watercooling. The guy who build my pc missed some stuff so im having to correct what he did wrong so having all the tools at hand if im running into more problems would be nice 🙂 

51151_0_m_719_1200.JPG

Just now, bobzen said:

true 😄 still looking online for stores near me which has flexible screwdrivers and i found this hopefully that will work for me 😄 but ideally i would like one that could bend a sharp 90 degree angle so i will be able to attach the holder with the GPU installed in the future when im switching to hardline watercooling. The guy who build my pc missed some stuff so im having to correct what he did wrong so having all the tools at hand if im running into more problems would be nice 🙂 

51151_0_m_719_1200.JPG

That will also bend to a 90 degree angle just don't force it.

I'm also just kinda confused why you didn't use the official o11 vert mount.

4 hours ago, jaslion said:

That will also bend to a 90 degree angle just don't force it.

I'm also just kinda confused why you didn't use the official o11 vert mount.

I read that the o11d xl vert mount dont support my GPU which is strix 3090 OC otherwise i would have got that one. However i managed to get the screws in and this is the result:

bc7845da6539ecc780a3eb67f06d12d0.jpg

Not its sitting perfectly at the back however its still crooked in the case so im starting to suspect that the vert mount might have a bent part 😞

c2a6d8c993c360965dfacaa5dc49494a.jpg

b3726fb8de87d0627f869ec37138d15a.jpg

b849f717db0169397137448edcc83157.jpg

If you know a vertical mount that will fit in the o11d XL and is not a piece of crap like this EKWB one so my GPU will sit straight please let me know and i will buy it right away because this is pissing me quite a bit off since i will not be able to get straight tubes when im going to watercool my build 😕 

1 hour ago, bobzen said:

I read that the o11d xl vert mount dont support my GPU which is strix 3090 OC otherwise i would have got that one. However i managed to get the screws in and this is the result:

bc7845da6539ecc780a3eb67f06d12d0.jpg

Not its sitting perfectly at the back however its still crooked in the case so im starting to suspect that the vert mount might have a bent part 😞

c2a6d8c993c360965dfacaa5dc49494a.jpg

b3726fb8de87d0627f869ec37138d15a.jpg

b849f717db0169397137448edcc83157.jpg

If you know a vertical mount that will fit in the o11d XL and is not a piece of crap like this EKWB one so my GPU will sit straight please let me know and i will buy it right away because this is pissing me quite a bit off since i will not be able to get straight tubes when im going to watercool my build 😕 

The o11 mount will work when the card is watercooled it will not work when it is air cooled due to the size.

You have one of the heaviest rtx 3090 cards so yeah this mount DOES NOT support that either. It is simply too heavy. What you need to do is remove the card and put it in normally. It should fit all be it a bit thight but people do fit these in the O11.

18 hours ago, jaslion said:

The o11 mount will work when the card is watercooled it will not work when it is air cooled due to the size.

You have one of the heaviest rtx 3090 cards so yeah this mount DOES NOT support that either. It is simply too heavy. What you need to do is remove the card and put it in normally. It should fit all be it a bit thight but people do fit these in the O11.

Aight will start looking for the o11d XL mount. I checked on the gpu and its sitting in the socket fine so there shouldnt be any stress on the pcb so im just running it like this for now until i get my last watercooling parts so i can start assembling it however i will contact EKWB and ask them if they have any idea why its sitting like that because i literally had to push the bracket of the vert mount that screws on the back of the case in to mount the screws so im thinking something got bent in shipping maybe. im thinking its the frame of the vert mount thats bent

Aight will start looking for the o11d XL mount. I checked on the gpu and its sitting in the socket fine so there shouldnt be any stress on the pcb so im just running it like this for now until i get my last watercooling parts so i can start assembling it however i will contact EKWB and ask them if they have any idea why its sitting like that because i literally had to push the bracket of the vert mount that screws on the back of the case in to mount the screws so im thinking something got bent in shipping maybe. im thinking its the frame of the vert mount thats bent

It isn't abnormal that you need to lift it a bit especially with a heavy card like that. It could have been bent so seeking contact is not a bad idea. What I will say is that due to it's current positioning airflow at the back will be very restricted and cause the back vram to be a lot hotter so that is not that great. When you do watercool it make sure it stays flat and has space behind it if you decide to just keep the backplate on there and not cool the backside with water too.

Also keep in min that the o11 xl mount is made for card lighter than this and not as big (so normal 2 slot cards or this card but watercooled).

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It isn't abnormal that you need to lift it a bit especially with a heavy card like that. It could have been bent so seeking contact is not a bad idea. What I will say is that due to it's current positioning airflow at the back will be very restricted and cause the back vram to be a lot hotter so that is not that great. When you do watercool it make sure it stays flat and has space behind it if you decide to just keep the backplate on there and not cool the backside with water too.

Also keep in min that the o11 xl mount is made for card lighter than this and not as big (so normal 2 slot cards or this card but watercooled).

Yea i underclocked the card too to make sure its not running hot while on air. Also when i order new vert mount im not putting it in until im watercooling it to make sure nothing will get damaged due to the weight of the card. Will start looking for another vert model that fits my case. I think i read phantek has one so i might turn to them for the vert mount but im not sure it will fit with the 360 PE rad i got so i gotta make sure it will fit with the rads before purchasing 🙂 but yes i will def contact EKWB and ask how come its crooked like this

6 minutes ago, bobzen said:

Yea i underclocked the card too to make sure its not running hot while on air. Also when i order new vert mount im not putting it in until im watercooling it to make sure nothing will get damaged due to the weight of the card. Will start looking for another vert model that fits my case. I think i read phantek has one so i might turn to them for the vert mount but im not sure it will fit with the 360 PE rad i got so i gotta make sure it will fit with the rads before purchasing 🙂 but yes i will def contact EKWB and ask how come its crooked like this

The o11 mount is your best bet as it is specifically made for the case so I will recommend that over all others.

22 hours ago, jaslion said:

The o11 mount is your best bet as it is specifically made for the case so I will recommend that over all others.

ok awesome and it should 100% fit once i put the waterblock on the card right? just want to make sure so i dont buy a mount that doesnt fit 😛

27 minutes ago, bobzen said:

ok awesome and it should 100% fit once i put the waterblock on the card right? just want to make sure so i dont buy a mount that doesnt fit 😛

It should it's made for the case and has 4,5 slots of space with a moveable pcie slot in case your card needs more space on either side.

It should it's made for the case and has 4,5 slots of space with a moveable pcie slot in case your card needs more space on either side.

Ok will buy the o11d XL vert mount then and put it in the pc when im doing the hardline watercooling next month 🙂 

ty for the help mate i really appreciate it 🙂