Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cooling Passive Coolers with Case Fans

Another topic concerning my dual Xeon project... just bear with me here.

So, I've been able to get the setup bench tested, Windows installed, and now I'm thinking about how airflow should work in the case I'm using.

I have a Phanteks Enthoo Pro case, with fan support up the wazoo:

image.thumb.png.726be5ff7dba760312f8763496b01f7d.png

The heatsinks I'm using are passive 1U heatsinks that I got bundled with the motherboard/CPU (ASUS Z9PR-D12 server motherboard with 2x Xeon E5-2620 v2s).  I can't find an exact match online, but essentially something like this serves as my cooling solution, but they're carved out a bit weird so they're not uniform.  Basically, I can't hitch static pressure fans to these heatsinks, so I'm trying to figure out how to cool the CPUs by using case fans.

When it comes to trying to move the dissipated heat, what exactly am I looking for when I can't put on an active heatsink fan? My instinct is that I should be trying to max out CFM with the fans, which would lead me to decking out the case with iPPC case fans that run up to 3000 RPM, but that also feels like overkill. After all, at that point I'm bottlenecked by how efficient heat dissipation is from each of the heatsinks, right?

If in my position, what would you look for in case fans to try to cool the CPUs?  I know this is kinda a vague and potentially stupid question but I'm looking for some guidance here.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X; Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI); RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO RGB Black Edition (soon upgrading to a Corsair H100i Capellix 240mm AIO); GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Founders Edition; StorageSamsung 970 EVO, 1TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (adding a 1440p display in the near future); Case Fans: 1x Corsair LL120 RGB Case Fan; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): (In Planning Stages, Tentative Specs) CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2 (planning to upgrade to 2x Intel Xeon E5-2680 v2); Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Unspecified 1U Heatsinks; GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC Gaming; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: TBD, likely Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Display(s): TBD; Case Fans: TBD, likely 5x Noctua A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, CT854 said:

Another topic concerning my dual Xeon project... just bear with me here.

So, I've been able to get the setup bench tested, Windows installed, and now I'm thinking about how airflow should work in the case I'm using.

I have a Phanteks Enthoo Pro case, with fan support up the wazoo:

image.thumb.png.726be5ff7dba760312f8763496b01f7d.png

The heatsinks I'm using are passive 1U heatsinks that I got bundled with the motherboard/CPU (ASUS Z9PR-D12 server motherboard with 2x Xeon E5-2620 v2s).  I can't find an exact match online, but essentially something like this serves as my cooling solution, but they're carved out a bit weird so they're not uniform.  Basically, I can't hitch static pressure fans to these heatsinks, so I'm trying to figure out how to cool the CPUs by using case fans.

When it comes to trying to move the dissipated heat, what exactly am I looking for when I can't put on an active heatsink fan? My instinct is that I should be trying to max out CFM with the fans, which would lead me to decking out the case with iPPC case fans that run up to 3000 RPM, but that also feels like overkill. After all, at that point I'm bottlenecked by how efficient heat dissipation is from each of the heatsinks, right?

If in my position, what would you look for in case fans to try to cool the CPUs?  I know this is kinda a vague and potentially stupid question but I'm looking for some guidance here.

Ippc would be the choice if it was me, but 1u server heatsink is designed to have the air flow pushing through the fins stack with 1u/40mm fan, and not very good if you just trying to use it as it was normal tower cpu cooler, 

Edit

Also the 1u or even 2u cooling system is "laser focused" if i say so myself, and with normal case there's no focused airflow path between the intake fan, heatsink and exhaust, and since we talking about 1u heatsink, the chance of airflow passing by the fins is very low considering how small Those heatsink are

Edited by Liam danu
1 hour ago, Liam danu said:

but 1u server heatsink is designed to have the air flow pushing through the fins stack with 1u/40mm fan, and not very good if you just trying to use it as it was normal tower cpu cooler, 

Yeah, this is the trouble I'm trying to work around. It seems like this is more of a "blow as much air as you can through it and SOME of it will land on the heatsink" situation in this kind of case - would you agree with that?  Do you think this is feasible or am I just going insane?

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X; Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI); RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO RGB Black Edition (soon upgrading to a Corsair H100i Capellix 240mm AIO); GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Founders Edition; StorageSamsung 970 EVO, 1TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (adding a 1440p display in the near future); Case Fans: 1x Corsair LL120 RGB Case Fan; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): (In Planning Stages, Tentative Specs) CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2 (planning to upgrade to 2x Intel Xeon E5-2680 v2); Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Unspecified 1U Heatsinks; GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC Gaming; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: TBD, likely Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Display(s): TBD; Case Fans: TBD, likely 5x Noctua A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM.

40 minutes ago, CT854 said:

Yeah, this is the trouble I'm trying to work around. It seems like this is more of a "blow as much air as you can through it and SOME of it will land on the heatsink" situation in this kind of case - would you agree with that?  Do you think this is feasible or am I just going insane?

It was feasible, my suggestion was to have the ippc or any high cfm fan at the top, exhaust and optionally at the bottom...

For the front you can get anything that's work for you since it was mostly didn't have "direct" impact to the cooler,

And if it's possible try to facing the cooler so the fin grid is facing up, towards top exhaust fan

Delta.. forget ippc.

AMD R9 5900X @ +150MHz -30 CO | Thermalright Frost Commander 140

Asus Strix B550-F | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 1833 14-14-14-34 1T 1.47v

EVGA 980 Classified  @ 1490/1953 | WD SN750 500GB+1TB

Seasonic Prime GX-750 |Fractal Design Meshify C TG | 5x 120x38

To get somewhere you would need an 3d printed shroud/fan duct and loud fans.

Honestly just replace it with a larger cooler designed for this type of case.

53 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Honestly just replace it with a larger cooler designed for this type of case.

This is sorta a last resort solution... I want to see if I can try to make this work, but if all else fails I'd need to find an aftermarket cooler that also doesn't have clearance issues with my GPU (I've had to dremel off parts of one of the heatsinks to accommodate my GPU).

7 hours ago, Liam danu said:

my suggestion was to have the ippc or any high cfm fan at the top, exhaust and optionally at the bottom...

This makes sense. In this case, would you think positive or negative pressure would work best?

It wont be quiet.. those passive coolers are meant to be blasted..

39 minutes ago, freeagent said:

It wont be quiet.. those passive coolers are meant to be blasted..

Noise is of low priority to me. I live in a studio apartment and sleep (basically) next to a fridge that constantly makes plenty of noise. If a solution gets it cooled, that's good enough for me.

30 minutes ago, CT854 said:

Noise is of low priority to me. I live in a studio apartment and sleep (basically) next to a fridge that constantly makes plenty of noise. If a solution gets it cooled, that's good enough for me.

Excellent, we share the same attitude 🙂

3 hours ago, CT854 said:

This is sorta a last resort solution... I want to see if I can try to make this work, but if all else fails I'd need to find an aftermarket cooler that also doesn't have clearance issues with my GPU (I've had to dremel off parts of one of the heatsinks to accommodate my GPU).

This makes sense. In this case, would you think positive or negative pressure would work best?

Probably negative

18 hours ago, CT854 said:

The problem is that you can't just have the air "land on it", the air really needs to pass through it. @James Evens is on the money by suggesting a shroud. You need to direct the air like in a dell or IBM server. 

20 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

The problem is that you can't just have the air "land on it", the air really needs to pass through it. @James Evens is on the money by suggesting a shroud. You need to direct the air like in a dell or IBM server. 

Are you and @James Evens suggesting axially directing the air head on to the heatsink, or longitudinally directing it along the fins of the heatsink? I assume the latter based on how you're phrasing "land on it".

your shroud would need to enclosure the cooler as there is no case lid guiding the air.

In my Meshify C I run 3x 120x38 Panaflo's in the front, and the rear is also a Panaflo, but a 24v one, the front 3 are 12v.. anyways my last cooler was a Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT, and it is rated for 90w TDP with no fan. I ran my 3770K @ 4500MHz Linpack Xtreme stable with no fan attached to the CPU, and my case fans @ 7v. I was also able to run my 3600XT @ stock with that configuration. I haven't tried with my 5600X. I prefer my new cooler for this cpu. It is bad assery.

4 hours ago, CT854 said:

Are you and @James Evens suggesting axially directing the air head on to the heatsink, or longitudinally directing it along the fins of the heatsink? I assume the latter based on how you're phrasing "land on it".

Along the fins. (through the fin stack) parallel with the fins.