Transplant build not booting - "machine check exception" BSOD

harrisonjr98

Hey all, so here's the deal - I had a prebuilt HP Omen with a 9700F. I took it and transplanted it to a new machine with some other upgrades to use for myself. I took everything else (mobo, psu, etc.) in the original HP build and added an i5 8500 and a GT 640 (no mobo display outs) and was planning to give that rig to my dad. The problem is... it won't boot. Well, kind of. I can get into the UEFI just fine, run HP's "hardware tests" (whatever that amounts to) and everything seems fine. The current drive in the machine has a copy of Windows on it, so my first instinct was to try and boot to it. It tried and failed, bluescreening with "machine check exception" Okay no problem- made a bootable USB and tried starting fresh. I select the USB drive as my boot device, restart, get the windows "spinning circle" loading thing, and then... blue screen, "machine check exception." Reboot and get one of three more bluescreens - either the same one, "driver irql not less or equal," or "page fault in non paged area." The machine is stable in the UEFI, running those tests, etc. All devices seem to be recognized and functional, including the new i5 and GT 640. The mobo, even though it's HP branded, appears to be just a standard H370 board and should support 8th gen CPUs (even though the machine shipped w/ 9th) as well as PCIe power to the 640. I'm basically stumped at this point, and unsure how to even troubleshoot without another GPU... any help is much appreciated!

You'll have to install a copy of Windows for that machine, the older hardware it was setup for is too different for the OS to work in it's current setup config.
Sometimes you can drop an old drive into a new build and it goes, sometimes not.

BTW if there are files on the old drive you don't want to lose I'd copy those off before formatting the drive or whatever. If you can setup a thumbdrive to boot with Windows or even Linux you can do that easily.
I'd suggest if using linux for the thumbdrive, either Mint or Peppermint - Both are similar to Windows in how they are layed out and work.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Just now, Beerzerker said:

You'll have to install a copy of Windows for that machine, the older hardware it was setup for is too different for the OS to work in it's current setup config.
Sometimes you can drop an old drive into a new build and goes, sometimes not.
BTW if there are files on the old drive you don't want to lose I'd copy those off before formatting the drive or whatever, if you can setup a thumbdrive with Windows or even Linux you can do that easily.
I'd suggest if using linux for the thumbdrive, either Mint or Peppermint - Both are similar to Windows in how they are layed out and work.

I was planning on installing a new copy of Windows, but can't even get the bootable drive to take (see above.)

Are you trying to use the thumbdrive to force a boot from the OS on the drive?

Go into the BIOS and see if under drive options you have an option to use it as AHCI or IDE - Legacy.
Try those.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

3 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Are you trying to use the thumbdrive to force a boot from the OS on the drive?

Go into the BIOS and see if under drive options you have an option to use it as AHCI or IDE - Legacy.
Try those.

I was not, I was trying to get into the install interface, cmd and then DiskPart clean the old install from there, and reinstall. Can't even get to the selection screen. Although you've given me an idea, will try just the thumb drive without the ssd plugged in and see if I get further - if that's the case I can wipe the other drive externally.

2 minutes ago, harrisonjr98 said:

I was not, I was trying to get into the install interface, cmd and then DiskPart clean the old install from there, and reinstall. Can't even get to the selection screen. Although you've given me an idea, will try just the thumb drive without the ssd plugged in and see if I get further - if that's the case I can wipe the other drive externally.

That's what I was getting at except if you have files you need to keep on the old drive I'd transfer those off first, then do a format.
If it boots from the thumbdrive you should be in good shape if the SSD itself hasn't shat the bed.

1 minute ago, Beerzerker said:

That's what I was getting at except if you have files you need to keep on the old drive I'd transfer those off first, then do a format.

Yeah, nothing needed on that drive. Unfortunately unplugging the SSD from the machine it didn't change anything, still getting "machine check" even with just the flash drive. I didn't even know a bootable installer *could* blue screen. Tried Legacy as well to no avail.

Hmm..... Well, I did see you mention an error "IRQ not less or equal" and that normally means either you don't have enough RAM voltage to the sticks or you have a stick that's on it's way out.
If you can, bump your RAM voltage up a little and see if that changes anything.

15 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Hmm..... Well, I did see you mention an error "IRQ not less or equal" and that normally means either you don't have enough RAM voltage to the sticks or you have a stick that's on it's way out.
If you can, bump your RAM voltage up a little and see if that changes anything.

I actually had an identical dimm lying around to substitute which I tried. Because my dad would only be using the machine for office work, I figured he'd be fine with the 1x16GB DIMM that came with the machine (why they ship single channel from the factory the world may never know...) Regardless, substitute dimm had the same issue. Weirdly, trying both (board only has 2 slots) came up with an HP post error code for memory config issues and refused to boot, even though I've used dual channel on that machine before.

Now with the one stick back in, I can't get video output to save my life... Part of me wonders if the 640 is the culprit, it was a /r/hardwareswap deal. Or maybe the HP board doesn't support it's power requirement over PCIe? Though if that's something that varies within boards of the same chipset, that's news to me.