Beginner Storage NAS for video editing

I run a small YouTube channel and would like a better nas then my WD my book live duo that I am currently using.  Gonna use freenas and have an old dell optiplex with a core 2 quad q8400 and the ram will be at a minimum of 4gb, will maybe upgrade to 8.  Will this be enough to edit 1080p footage from or should I invest in a new i3?  Also any tips for a beginner?  Have built many computers but first time with a nas.  What raid should I run to mirror 2 drives for redundancy?

How many editors are you have? If its. single editor, id just put more hdds in your system. Cheaper and faster.

Why edit over the network, editing over a local drive makes much more sense unless you have more than one editor.

10 minutes ago, CustomComputerMan said:

What raid should I run to mirror 2 drives for redundancy?

raid 1 would be your only option.

Whats your network speed? Do you have 2.5/5/10gbe?

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How many editors are you have? If its. single editor, id just put more hdds in your system. Cheaper and faster.

Why edit over the network, editing over a local drive makes much more sense unless you have more than one editor.

raid 1 would be your only option.

Whats your network speed? Do you have 2.5/5/10gbe?

its just 1 editor.  I have a nas becuase I take lots of footage and often refer back to it within the year.  I also like the redundancy it gives me.  It also gives me the flexibility to edit from my desktop, laptop on the couch, or ipad in bed without moving everything to an external storage device.

3 minutes ago, CustomComputerMan said:

its just 1 editor.  I have a nas becuase I take lots of footage and often refer back to it within the year.  I also like the redundancy it gives me.  It also gives me the flexibility to edit from my desktop, laptop on the couch, or ipad in bed without moving everything to an external storage device.

Id really just put these drives in your desktop. You can get the same level of reduncancy with raid in your desktop. You can seutp a network share on your desktop if you want to edit from your laptop.

But editing off wifi normally sucks, id really try to avoid this. External storage seems like a cheaper and faster solution here.

What bitrate is your footage?

Also what is your backup plan? Raid != backups.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id really just put these drives in your desktop. You can get the same level of reduncancy with raid in your desktop. You can seutp a network share on your desktop if you want to edit from your laptop.

But editing off wifi normally sucks, id really try to avoid this. External storage seems like a cheaper and faster solution here.

What bitrate is your footage?

Also what is your backup plan? Raid != backups.

what do you recommend for raid on a desktop?

1 hour ago, CustomComputerMan said:

what do you recommend for raid on a desktop?

Just plug the 2 drives in and setup storage spaces to manage the raid array.