Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How do I identify if someone is cheating in apex ?

Today I landed beside a team in ranked apex legends and suddenly my whole team was lagging like we had 1000ms ping but no we just had around 100ms or even better ping. Also, sometimes when I spectate players who kill me I can't tell for sure whether they were cheating or they are generally good at the game.

It really depends on what they're using. Cheating in video games is a very broad category. It can be everything from a simple adjustment to the recoil of a weapon to a full on aimbot. I've never played apex but there isn't much difference between FPS games.

If a guy is botting it is super easy to spot since his movements will be very robotic and his weapon wire will lock onto you like a friggin laser beam. Though some of us are also extremely accurate especially when it comes to first shots. However; a good player will still outright miss shots. But if a guy is getting close to 100% hit accuracy and the laser beam effect is ensuing then you know for sure that he's hacking. But you have to objective and analytical about it you can't simply call hacks because he was able to react faster than you can. 

Then you have more subtle stuff like wall hacks that reports or overlays the position of players on screen. That guy who seemingly always knows where you are is the kind of stuff to lookout for. Though some people like my self are very adept at checking corners, using audio clues, and past opponent behavior to find that one guy who sits in the corner for the entirety of the match or someone who is walking on through. Additionally someone who as a great understanding of the map and has awareness can throw off the he's hacking vibe solely because he knows how to play game and then play the map. So to detect someone wallhacking is extremely difficult to do unless they're doing stuff like wallbanging you when he had no possibly way of knowing you were there. 

Stuff like recoil reduction or changing other weapon characteristics can be equally hard to detect since its not always perceptible especially when you can't see their view or if its very slightly tweaked. 

There's also a myriad of more things that can be performed and have varying degree's of stealth to them but those are essentially the big three are posted above. If you have ever developed hacks they become easier to notice since you know exactly what to look for but even then it's not that easy because someone who knows how to use the hacks stealthily will almost never get caught. They get caught when they're doing something blatantly but if you're using them to gain a small edge it becomes a lot harder to call it out. 

As far as the lag goes it's certainly a lot harder to be lag switching since a lot of games will discard packets after a certain time period and have shifted much more of the processing to the server side as apposed to older games that often entirely relied on the client side for processing. A person could DDOS the other team to gain an edge but that one is still a little iffy since that requires a significant investment to do so. I would personally chock it up to the servers or somewhere along the network shitting the bed.

TL;DR unless its blatant it can be extremely difficult to detect.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

2 hours ago, trag1c said:

A person could DDOS the other team to gain an edge but that one is still a little iffy since that requires a significant investment

Back in the day lag switches were extremely common and cheap or free.  Its also really difficult to detect if done right because it just appears to be lag (i guess thats why they call it lag switches )

PS: i guess a lot of games kick you out nowadays though at the slightest hint of ls, although sw ls might still work?

Ive only ever used ls the old way (and not to cheat funny enough) but that stopped working at some point (was on PS3) but of course that didnt stop others from booting whole servers with *their* methods lol.

✪Ryzen 3600✪RTX3070✪B350✪

✪Trident Z 3600 16-16-16-36✪

✪Noctua U12S Chromax✪

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

Back in the day lag switches were extremely common and cheap or free.  Its also really difficult to detect if done right because it just appears to be lag (i guess thats why they call it lag switches )

Yup. I had some good fun with one on this pay to win fps called Combat arms back in the day lol. Though when I did that i was almost always never subtle about it. Run around the entire map "killing" people and then reconnecting causing everyone on the enemy team to die all at once with my name for all of them in the kill feed 🤣.

Then that turned into the deep dive of developing hacks because fuck pay to win lol. Basically turned that game into my playground for abusing C++ and code injection. Miss those days... Need another pay to win game to shit on and get back into it.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Pretty much the same as in every other game. If the person doesn't play like a human. Or if there is a spectator mode you can look out if the player is staring at walls often.

In some games it's easier to spot cheaters than in other games. For example in CS:GO where pre-aiming is a big thing on higher levels. As soon as you see a player that is repediately staring at walls in this game, you can pretty much safely report them for wall-hacking. Normal high-level players will never just stare at a wall.

Another thing you can identify cheaters by is if their ingame behavior just doesn't match the rank they play at. That's likely because their cheats carried them to their current rank, not their own skill. Again with the counter strike example, where the movement behaviour of low-lever and high-level players is vastly different.

Dislaimer: If my post is older than 5 minutes, refresh the page. Most of my posts get edited straight away. 😄

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List

Current Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550-E - GPU: PNY RTX 3080 XLR8 Epic-X - RAM: 4x8GB (32GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz CL16 - PSU: Corsair RMx (2018) 850W - Storage: 500 GB Corsair MP600 (Boot) + 2 TB Sabrent Rocket Q (Storage) - Cooling: EK, HW Labs & Alphacool custom loop - Case: Lian-Li PC O11 Dynamic - Fans: 6x Noctua NF-A12x25 - AMP/DAC: FiiO K5 Pro - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG35VQ - Mouse: Logitech G Pro + Powerplay - Keyboard: Logitech G915 - Headphones: Beyerdynamic Amiron Home - Microphone: Antlion ModMic

Temperatures @steady state: Furmark + CinebenchR23 running for 1 hour. Fans @850RPM. Pump @1600RPM.

Water: 37°C

CPU: 73°C

GPU: 54°C