(Solved) Merging Two Old 4TB Drives into One New 10TB Drive

Tech21101
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Are these boot drives? What data is on them?

You can just copy and paste in explorer, or use robocopy in windows if you want more options.

Hello all,

Just have a question about merging two older drives into a new one. I'm not talking about just merging their partitions and making them "one drive", I'm talking about moving their data into one larger drive that I have coming in. I recently bought a prebuilt (news flash: scalpers and miners suck) with next to no storage and moved two of my drives over from my old system over, but I want to move all of their data into a 10TB drive. Thinking about it now, would it be possible to just merge the two old ones into one partition and then use some software to copy it over? If so, any software suggestions (preferably Freeware or Open Source), including any that would do it without merging partitions (if it's possible)?

You can just copy and paste in explorer, or use robocopy in windows if you want more options.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

They aren't boot drives, just my main storage drives. Games, pictures, etc. The new drive isn't in yet, but I'll try robocopy once it's here.

On 5/17/2021 at 7:47 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Hi again,

Any way to have robocopy copy files over without wiping existing data? I started a new transfer after copying one drive over, and it deleted everything that was already on the new drive from that transfer.

31 minutes ago, Tech21101 said:

Hi again,

Any way to have robocopy copy files over without wiping existing data? I started a new transfer after copying one drive over, and it deleted everything that was already on the new drive from that transfer.

Robocopy shouldn't delete by default. What options where you using?

The /mir option will delete, so id run it to a empty folder

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Robocopy shouldn't delete by default. What options where you using?

The /mir option will delete, so id run it to a empty folder

Ah, yeah. I had my suspicions that that was the problem, I did use /mir on both. I'll chuck it in a new folder the next go around (in like 9+ more hours, after I finish the first one again 😓.)