I have 500mbps on both speedtest.net and other speedtest websites. But i only have 5mbps-15mbps when i download something. Please help!

Go to solution Solved by ezUnix,

I found the soloution! I just followed these steps and it worked! https://windowsreport.com/best-ethernet-settings-for-gaming/

This problem occured a few weeks ago and i haven't been able to fix it. I have tried factory resetting my PC, i have tried downloading the latest drivers and uninstalling them, i have tried using 10+ diffrent LAN cables and i have tried using another switch. All other PCs i've tried works fine even if i use the same switch and LAN cables. My internet seems to be working fine, and my network card seems to be working well too. But for some reason all platforms and browsers seem to be downloading at 5-10mbps max. Plus when i download something, my internet plummits (only on my pc). My ping skyrockets to near 80 (from 3) and i get 60 mbps download and around 2 mbps upload. Please help!

most important Specs: 

CPU Ryzen 7 3700X

GPU 3070

MOBO MSI B550 MPG GAMING EDGE WIFI

ISP: Altibox (norwegian company)

My router is also from Altibox, but im unaware of router specs

I have a CAT5 LAN cable. It is capable of 1gbps

I use Windows 10

Edit: Internet is 100% fine. My servers show 500 up and 500 down, wich is what I get from ISP. So the problem has something to do with my PC, but only when actually downloading stuff.

Could be hardware, could be software, we'll never know since you didn't list your system specs, router, ISP, etc.

Tell you what, load up a LiveUSB install of Linux Mint, see if the problem persists (then it's hardware) or goes away (then you have a software issue)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

It's also important to realize that just because you have the pipe, doesn't mean every server online is going to send that fast. You're ultimately limited by the bandwidth of the server you're downloading from, regardless of how fast you ISP connection is.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

3 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

It's also important to realize that just because you have the pipe, doesn't mean every server online is going to send that fast. You're ultimately limited by the bandwidth of the server you're downloading from, regardless of how fast you ISP connection is.

Yes, i know, but i shouldn't be that slow even with bad servers. And i highly doubt that every server is slow. On every platform. I usually got 60 to 80 mbps on every platform.

5 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

The impression I got from the post is no matter where he goes, his download speeds are crap.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

9 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

The impression I got from the post is no matter where he goes, his download speeds are crap.

Correct

53 minutes ago, ezUnix said:

I have a CAT5 LAN cable. It is capable of 1gbps

I assume this problem is experienced when directly connected to the Altibox over ethernet.

Have you tried using WiFi instead to see if the problem persists there as well?

1 hour ago, Falcon1986 said:

I assume this problem is experienced when directly connected to the Altibox over ethernet.

I will try and test tomorrow. It is currently midnight here. BTW i use a switch.

16 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

It is only a problem with LAN. Wifi gets faster download speeds on platforms. WIFI gets around 20mbps and LAN gets 3-5. And the internet isn't unstable while using WIFI either.

21 minutes ago, ezUnix said:

It is only a problem with LAN. Wifi gets faster download speeds on platforms. WIFI gets around 20mbps and LAN gets 3-5. And the internet isn't unstable while using WIFI either.

What happens if you bypass the switch and directly connect to the router?

I can't test. But the switch shouldn't be a problem. It is brand new and other PCs connected to the switch works like they should.

And the ethernet cable sends and recives the right amount of mbps while running a speedtest. So everything about the connection itself seems to be working fine.

I don't know why this is so difficult for people to understand, 4/5 of these other answers are wrong. 🤦‍♂️

500 MegaBITS per second is different than 500 MegaBYTES per second (Mb/s vs MB/s).

Internet speed/bandwidth (whatever you wanna call it) is measure in Megabits per second.

1 Megabyte is equal to = 8 Megabits

This means, you should expect at least 8 times less than what your ISP rates your Internet for in Megabytes as a best case scenario (62.5MB/s).

You can also be hardware limited by:

-You CPU (more cores/threads = better)

-Your systems read/write speeds (HDD vs. SSD, **with obvious variations by model)

-The ethernet connector on your motherboard (**although mostly on very old systems)

-The ethernet cable in use (lower rated cables have worse bandwidth)

19 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

You're ultimately limited by the bandwidth of the server you're downloading from, regardless of how fast you ISP connection is.

This is the only reply here that I agree with 👍

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

On 5/18/2021 at 5:36 PM, OfficialTechSpace said:

I don't know why this is so difficult for people to understand, 4/5 of these other answers are wrong. 🤦‍♂️

500 MegaBITS per second is different than 500 MegaBYTES per second (Mb/s vs MB/s).

Internet speed/bandwidth (whatever you wanna call it) is measure in Megabits per second.

1 Megabyte is equal to = 8 Megabits

This means, you should expect at least 8 times less than what your ISP rates your Internet for in Megabytes as a best case scenario (62.5MB/s).

You can also be hardware limited by:

-You CPU (more cores/threads = better)

-Your systems read/write speeds (HDD vs. SSD, **with obvious variations by model)

-The ethernet connector on your motherboard (**although mostly on very old systems)

-The ethernet cable in use (lower rated cables have worse bandwidth)

This is the only reply here that I agree with 👍

As i stated i would in a best case scenario get 60Mbps. And i do now once i fixed it. I know the different between bytes and bits. Your statement is true, but i wouldn't have 5mbps if my internet were performing like it should.