My monitor and windows 10 is doing weird stuff with resolution and refresh rate

hi all,

im having a lot of problems lately with my Resolution and Refresh rate on my windows 10 computer. 

it seems to keep changing my refresh rate and/or resolution after waking up from sleep or simply after i power up my screen after i shut it down.

it started a few days ago i think. at least that was when i noticed that my screen refresh rate changed from 120 HZ to 100 HZ at 1080p. i couldnt change it, not even in Nvidia control panel. it just stayed at 1920 x 1080 100hz. i could make a custom resolution, but my screen went black and i had to force my computer to restart.

then i searched online and found people with similar problems. no one had a sollution, only a few that said that sleep mode changed that. i tried only using hybernation, same problem. now i dont use the sleep/hybernate option when im away. but i still want my computer to keep it files open but not everyone looking at it. 

im using a Displayport to connect my RTX 2060 to my BenQ XL2420T. used to be absolutely fine.

but now when i shut off my monitor and go away for a few minutes, the screen resolution changes to 1280 x 720 stuck at a maximum of 60 hz. i am not sure how or why that happens. 

when i select 1080P, it will still only stay at 60HZ. 

oh and also, my settings on my monitor are also being resetted (colour and brightness levels) when the resolution thing happens. 

i tried many things, older video driver (from 466.27 to 465,85) thrown of some software that change things about my graphics card like MSI afterburner, still same. i also checked for corrupt files, nothing!

im really worried my gpu or monitor doesnt work properly anymore. i can only fix this by restarting my computer.

could someone please help me to fix this problem. and if you had the same problem, does switching cables or monitor help? im using a fairly old monitor anyway so if thats the problem, i can fix it

please help me,

Juriaan

Screenshot 2021-05-17 194153.png

Screenshot 2021-05-17 194243.png

Use hdmi and see if that fixes it. The monitor probably doesnt stay recognized after every gpu on off cycle and its acting as if it was plugged in after the power was turned on.

I had this problem with my monitor that when plugged into a 750 Ti via HDMI it supported 144 Hz, but when I plugged it into my 5600 XT that I just got (with the same cable), it topped out at 120 Hz. Unfortunately the solution for me was to enable and then disable Virtual Super Resolution within Radeon Adrenalin as this messed up how the monitor's processor takes in data, and resets it. Obviously you don't have that luxury in Nvidia control panel, but if you can find some sort of other setting like data compression or chroma subsampling, or anything to generally make the monitor redo all the automatic settings, it may fix it. 

This is very much an issue for calibrating the monitor to the GPU. And something about windows going to sleep or low power mode is causing the monitor to drop in resolution. 

It may be possible to use some sort of program to at least force your computer to run 1080p at all times, so you aren't stuck in 4:3 or 720p unless you are in safe mode. I don't see why a program wouldn't fix that problem, I just have never actually heard of such a program and don't know if one exists as FOSS or freeware. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

1 minute ago, Nathanpete said:

It may be possible to use some sort of program to at least force your computer to run 1080p at all times, so you aren't stuck in 4:3 or 720p unless you are in safe mode. I don't see why a program wouldn't fix that problem, I just have never actually heard of such a program and don't know if one exists as FOSS or freeware. 

i can select 1080P, however, the refresh rate is then still stuck at or below 60hz

tried it, still seems to have the exact same problem unfortunatly.