EVGA RTX 2080 Super black low clock speeds

PopGaz

Hello there,

6 months ago i bought myself a used 2080 super black edition. I was happy with my new toy for a while, but then I had the urge to see if i clould get some nice overclocks going. I donwloaded the precision x software and after some tests i was suprised to see that not only was I not able to achieve any overclocks, but my car was running below average clock speeds in game and in benchmarks (around 1300-1500Mhz) while being at a steady 67-69 degrees Celsius. Memory speeds are fine. I tried some common fixes like reinstalling the drivers with ddu, chnaging windows to performance mode, eliminating background processes. I have not tried reinstallinmg windows though, since I don`t have a place to backup my data right now... for benchmarking I have used 3dmark timespy (I have attached results) and valley, while monitoring with gpu-z and precision x. After some deeper research I have found out that the previous owner of the card had it watercooled und I noticed a screw was missing from the GPU-Core bracket. I decided to order a screw and with process I also applied new thermal paste and pads. After reasembly I was happy to see some improvements, the card boosting fine to its expected speeds but the temperatures rose to abput 73 degress Celsius, since this is still fine i was ok with how the card was running. After some time I noticed(a few weeks) my performance dropping again. Today I am back to the same performance numbers that were troubeling me. I am frustrated and out of ideas, I really hope there is a soultion for this. I suspect some issues with drivers or the fact that I am running on an operating system that is 6 years old and has even been part of the upgrade from windows 7 to 10. My previous card was a gtx 970, i swapped out all parts, except for psu, case and drives, 6 months ago. I`ll attach my system specs and benchmark below. I usually play cod black ops cold war maxed out no ray tracing with dlss set to quality with 140fps at 2k resolution(I can monitor the clock speeds ingame and they are at about 1500Mhz to 1600Mhz), the card is running at 100% utilization ingame. Thank you in advance for any kind of help!

Benchmark link:

100Mhz core clock OC: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/61822342?

Linus1.PNG

Linus2.PNG

Windows 10 is pretty bad and wont have  the ability to remain stable over that many years of changes and updates. The initial release of windows 10 was borderline unusable. 

At the very least refresh the OS BEFORE doing diagnostics otherwise all diagnostics you do currently will be wasted time without having a clean slate to work with. That being said with the cards history of being watercooled I wouldnt expect it to be very reliable anymore. Some people are aware that the majority of surface components on a card have no temperature monitors of any kind and some arwnt aware of that. The gpu could have been cool its whole life with every other chip or resistor burning hot and the user would never know it.

Thanks for the reply, I might get my hands on a new drive soon, I`ll definitely reset windows then. So there`s also a chance for the card to have been permanently damaged from overheating? I hope that`s not the case... luckily I bought the card before the shortages 😬