the GHz jumped when i play a games.

hey, guys there's a problem with my GHz so i was putting my GHz to 1.02GHz (max processor state) plugged in 47% reason i do that cuz i cant go up to my base speed which is 2.30GHz because it'll heat up fast. i have this laptop since i was a kid. and my cpu its Intel core i3 2348M heard was a 2nd gen which is very old (so maybe my thermal paste went out y'know and am broke so cant do any of that at the moment which is why i set it to 1.02GHz so it'll bring down the heat a little). but i'm surprised as well that i able to run subnautica but there's a problem....so i set my GHz to 1.02 but for some reason when i try to play subnautica my GHz jump from 1.02GHz to 2.00GHz then it went down to 0.78GHz and just stop there which is weird. (it happens in main menu, loading screen and even ingame) and idk what happen but it happens on other game i try to play as well like skyrim or assassins creed 3. which is weird because that never happen to me before and its new to me. i don't know how to fix it and i would like to ask and see if you guys know how to fix this problem, Thank you. i already reset my laptop today and its still happening. i did clean the dust off alr. 

Thermal throttling is your issue here. The thing is likely full of dust and needs new thermal paste.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

Your "GHz" are not a part of your computer. Muh gigahertz!

It is most likely that you have already answered your own question. It's an old laptop and it's thermal throttling. If you don't have the wherewithal to open it up and check the thermal paste, at least try to clean dust out of the ventilation.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

and i play subnautica and any other game before but thermal paste isn't usually the problem. so the problem is since i set my GHz to 1.04  (max processor state to 47%) when i play game it shouldn't be going up to 2 GHz though. if it does what cost it?

* your thread was moved to the Troubleshooting section *

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !