Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I think I fell into the same scam as linus

So I this video recently 

And I think that I fell into the same kind of scam only much more expensive for me and better done.  

It has occurred quite a while ago mayhaps more than a year so I cant pull the ebay listing

So I bought from this ebayer 3 ryzen 9 3950x CPUs he many sales (selling pc parts) and a great feedback count more over the price wasnt too good to be true it was a little bit smaller but I thought it made sense since I was buying 2nd hand CPUs without box 

so I got them but guess what they didnt work at all... 

the stupid thing is that I didnt check them once I got them delivered because I was waiting for some other parts to arrive too and life was going on in the mean time... after like 3 months or so when I finally had all the parts needed for my project that involved those 3 CPUs I put everything together and... nothing. 

I tried to talk with the seller, nothing, paypal dispute, seller provided shipping date so nothing... 

I tried to RMA them with AMD (and for some reason I was more disappoint about this experience even compared to being ripped off from the ebayer because he at least is a stranger AMD should be better) 

the guys were like forcing me to give them all kinds of photos first (like why not just return the item and you check it yourself as any other company does RMAs) and after waiting and replying to their delayed "customer support" messages they suddenly stopped responding to me (in fact the bot send the message to me that since more than 10 days have passed this issue will be closed, BUT i got this email just a few hours AFTER receiving their latest reply which I DID RESPOND TO + I tried to open an RMA again and this time they didnt even respond once) 

And the chips look like dead real not different pin layout or bogus laser engraving or whatever even the codes seem to be real... 

here are some pics I send to AMD ( I just brushed over the serial codes and my email but AMD got the unedited versions of this pics-as well as other aditional pics- ofcourse) 

IMG_0057.thumb.JPG.48dd0853df897cad5d474d372dbec296.JPG20210416_142122.thumb.jpg.d9f5a5d9bfc77858bd1f8ad88e8afaf4.jpg

The pins on the one in the middle are 100% fine I dont know why they look so bad lol maybe they have just like half a millimeter of an angle or maybe it has some corrosion on the base of the pin but once seeing through the cpu pins from the sides all seem to allign perfectly 

I post this since probably I am the victim of the same scam and hope that @LinusTech  talks with AMD to allow me to RMA them.... 

Something that seems to have held true for a very very long time: if it’s too good to be true it very possibly is.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

That is very interesting. I would say delid them but that would def void RMA.

Is it plugged in? Is it turned on? Are you sure? No, really. 

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Something that seems to have held true for a very very long time: if it’s too good to be true it very possibly is.

16 minutes ago, papajo said:

So I bought from this ebayer 3 ryzen 9 3950x CPUs he many sales (selling pc parts) and a great feedback count more over the price wasnt too good to be true it was a little bit smaller but I thought it made sense since I was buying 2nd hand CPUs without box 

These are actually am4 cpu's. So I would not be too surprised if you simply got broken 3950x's here. What board did you try them on?

Just now, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

That is very interesting. I would say delid them but that would def void RMA.

yea and as it seems AMD has shitty RMA anyway so I may do this but I wait for now maybe there is a chance somebody close to linus or to an amd rep sees it and I finally get them RMAed otherwise I will delid them guys so that you see them have nothing to lose lol 

Just now, papajo said:

yea and as it seems AMD has shitty RMA anyway so I may do this but I wait for now maybe there is a chance somebody close to linus or to an amd rep sees it and I finally get them RMAed otherwise I will delid them guys so that you see them have nothing to lose lol 

The thing about review counts is they’re spoofable so they can’t be counted on.  One is often forced to read them because sometimes fake reviews reveal themselves that way, but even that isn’t 100% trustable if it’s done really well.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

These are actually am4 cpu's. So I would not be too surprised if you simply got broken 3950x's here. What board did you try them on?

Yea but what makes me think they are a scam of some sort is that AMD RMA rep was too suspicious asking about the serials then wanting me to take all sorts of different pictures and then not responding to me anymore... or maybe that was because AMD has horrible customer support ... 

On top of that I find it strage for 3 relatively (at the time but still today not even 2 years have passed since the launch) new CPUs to be all fried 

I tried them with x570 boards

Just now, papajo said:

Yea but what makes me think they are a scam of some sort is that AMD RMA rep was too suspicious asking about the serials then wanting me to take all sorts of different pictures and then not responding to me anymore... or maybe that was because AMD has horrible customer support ... 

On top of that I find it strage for 3 relatively (at the time but still today not even 2 years have passed since the launch) new CPUs to be all fried 

I tried them with x570 boards

Plenty of doa, defective in factory and so on chips always.

What they could also be is older gen ryzen cpu's that aren't supported on x570 boards (first gen or the fx apu's).

14 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What they could also be is older gen ryzen cpu's that aren't supported on x570 boards (first gen or the fx apu's).

What I know is that I entered all the serials in the RMA form (while still be into warranty I am from Greece there is a two year warranty for whatever you buy -that is an EU wide regulation- but at the time I made the RMA request it was less than a year since their launch) 

The RMA rep after like a 5 day wait and despite me filling the serials in the form, asked me to tell him the serials then he wanted the QR code then he wanted me to take pics from the boxes and then after a back and forth for more than a week he finally send me a bot message that I didnt reply for over 10 days (and again he sent me that like a day after his last reply which I also have had replied to) and the issue is closed. 

And then I tried to fill the same RMA form again (two times now) and never got a response. 

5 minutes ago, papajo said:

or maybe that was because AMD has horrible customer support ... 

Havening RMA a CPU once I can tell you the process was streamlined but it was clear it was aimed at reseller/enterprise and not consumer. Like filling out a excel spreadsheet for a single CPU.

Does your mobo support those chips? 

Did you update the bios for support of those chips? 

45 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Havening RMA a CPU once I can tell you the process was streamlined but it was clear it was aimed at reseller/enterprise and not consumer. Like filling out a excel spreadsheet for a single CPU.

It didnt seemed like streamlined to me

It seemed like I had to convince this guy with mails and photos

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyC4UlVGYAW_iLlSIEALf

In order to get a chance to send them my CPUs...

I pretty much would prefer for them just to mail me their address so that I could send the CPUs and THEN turning me down with a reasonable articulated reason instead of what I had experienced.