Troubleshooting old HDD that doesn't spin?

1337Ox

Hello everyone, I would like to know your opinion on this.

So, I found my old 750GB WD harddrive (WD7500AAKS), which long time ago suddenly stopped working, it just wouldn't spin anymore.

And today I thought I might give it a try and possibly fix it? I am by NO means an expert on electronics but I think I might found the problem?

I think the problem is on the PCB, my suspect is a R100 resistor, which value should be 1 Ohm, and therefore it should read as continuous with my multimeter, but it does not.

By just looking at the PCB there doesn't seem anything wrong, burnt.

I will provide you with a photo.

I would be really grateful is someone could confirm, that this could be the problem causing the disk not to spin at all. Or if someone has another suggestion?

There is nothing super important on that drive, I am just curious if I could fix it.

462401969_pcbphoto.jpg

Oh, I can do that without damaging something else? Also my bad, it is 0.1 Ohm resistor, not 1 Ohm, which seems like very small value to me.

Desolder that resistor and see if it's 0.1 ohm  

Also check the capacitors on the same traces with it ... check C57 , C68 

You have a resistor there marked continous ... your meter is stupid, the resistor should be 0.05 ohm which is very low . Desolder it maybe and check.... but it's probably fine, would be bad if blown open.

R7 and R8 should be 1 ohm, not continuous.

Check C90 and C131 for shorts , both by the sata power connector.  If they're shorted they could cause problems. 

I think C131 is on the 3.3v side of the sata connector unless I'm getting confused ... if so, the hard drive may have implemented that STAND-BY feature, where if the drive gets 3.3v through one of the 3  3.3v pins, it stays in stand-by / sleep mode.  Maybe use a bit of tape over those pins, or desolder the 3.3v pins completely and check.

If you're sure you're making good contact with that 0.1Ohm res and it's open then yes it's wrong and the resistor is probably burnt. Seems it might be there to measure the current consumption of the motor driver section, so if it's burnt the motor probably isn't getting power. Would see about replacing it.

29 minutes ago, 1337Ox said:

Oh, I can do that without damaging something else?

Should be OK, but it it burnt due to something else having failed down the line it could still damage stuff. Although there are fuses on the board so hopefully those would catch that.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2