PC Starts normally 5% of the time and slow af 95% of the time (with hanging) when booted up

Specifications: 

CPU -  AMD FX 4100 ,3600 ghz

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2TP, AM3+ SOCKET,(second hand) 

RAM - GSkill 4 gb ddr3 1600 mhz and  HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3 1866MHz

System - Windows 8.1 64-bit OS, x-64 based processor

Hard Drive - WD Green 1 TB (WDC WD 10EARX-00N0YB0 1000.2 GB)

GPU - Geforce GTX 960

PSU - Seasonic 600 Watts, 80+ Bronze

In Short :- My PC RARELY runs normally without any slow (after so many times of rebooting)

In Detail :-

When I brought the motherboard second hand (this is my 3rd motherboard) initially it ran fine. But after few days I thought to keep the PC under sleep or not shut down after playing Witcher 3. Then power cut occured after that moment when I booted the PC *BOOM* it's so slow all of a sudden I have never seen something like this before! even the keyboard caps lock light is lit after 7-8 seconds of pressing the caps lock button (same with mouse or any other thing). Mostly the slowing down starts after in windows loading screen the loading cursor rotates 5-6 times. PFA for video.

Now whenever it runs after like 100s of times of rebooting it (expecting it would come up with the log in screen i.e run normally without slow), sometimes it would run normally (5% of the times of rebooting) then I am always afraid of not shutting it down or keep it under sleep mode, cause once it's under sleep or shut down then it will slow again!! 😞 so I play all games and enjoy as much cause I know it's gonna get slowed down again (after a shutdown or auto sleep etc).

This slowing down is going on since nearly one year. I have done nothing about it I didn't call any local experts because it runs normally 5% of the time. During slow boot, I could barely reach log-in the screen.

I have tried so many methods to troubleshoot like sfc scannow , dsim etc and few messing with the settings like device manager, control power power options etc, I have also contacted the microsoft support the person told me it could be a harddrive problem. None of them worked. 😞 I am only lucky if the PC runs normally all of a sudden after trying to reboot it for 30-40 times i.e once in 30-40 reboots rest of the reboot goes like all slow just in the attached video. Any solutions? Please help me.

Edited by Lee141

This seems to be like some program is starting up with Windows.. Try if the same happens if you boot into safe mode? Also, could you send a screenshot of the Task Manager while the system is running slow?

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

What are temps idle and unter load (use cinebench for load temps)

Is the thermal paste new?

Sounds like it could be dying hard drive also.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

You probably have dying hard drive. That is my guess.or some program that is starting that does not like your pc

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

2 hours ago, LTTfan2006 said:

This seems to be like some program is starting up with Windows.. Try if the same happens if you boot into safe mode? Also, could you send me a screenshot of the Task Manager while the system is running slow?

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Surely I'll do. I have tried running on safe mode earlier it was no problem (no slow), it was when I was trying to running sfc scannow command on safe mode. While system is running slow I could barely reach the log in screen even if I log in kind of everything is extremely slow or unresponsive. pl find the screenshot here, i hope every program is right (enabled or disabled correctly)

IMG_20210517_185034.jpg

IMG_20210517_185047.jpg

7 minutes ago, Lee141 said:

IMG_20210517_185034.jpg

I would suggest you to disable all of those startup applications. I think they might be causing the unresponsiveness?

You can of course enable them back again if they start to cause problems.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

What are temps idle and unter load (use cinebench for load temps)

Is the thermal paste new?

Sounds like it could be dying hard drive also.

can run on safe mode, 5%of the time it runs normally. Safe mode runs normally without any problem could it stil be a dead HDD? Temperatures when I used to run games ran 80-90 degrees without any problem (when it booted without any slow) and normal temperature are around 60s

56 minutes ago, LTTfan2006 said:

I would suggest you to disable all of those startup applications. I think they might be causing the unresponsiveness?

You can of course enable them back again if they start to cause problems.

I have disabled them all. Still same problem .

1 hour ago, Lee141 said:

I have disabled them all. Still same problem .

🤔 What I would do first is make sure your storage device is scheduled to be defragged at least once a month. Fragmentation can easily cause various performance issues. Second thing you can try if this doesn't work is to run 'chkdsk /f' in the command prompt to see if there is anything corrupted or damaged on the drive. This can easily cause slow boot times as well. And, if this is an HDD, then you are far better off migrating over to an SSD anyway, where you are a lot less likely to encounter such issues. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

On 5/17/2021 at 11:23 PM, BlackManINC said:

🤔 What I would do first is make sure your storage device is scheduled to be defragged at least once a month. Fragmentation can easily cause various performance issues. Second thing you can try if this doesn't work is to run 'chkdsk /f' in the command prompt to see if there is anything corrupted or damaged on the drive. This can easily cause slow boot times as well. And, if this is an HDD, then you are far better off migrating over to an SSD anyway, where you are a lot less likely to encounter such issues. 

Hi, I have tried it. I have installed a defragging software and defragged it on safe mode one by one every drive, but in the end. Disappointment. Is there any other solution you can come up?

2 hours ago, Lee141 said:

Hi, I have tried it. I have installed a defragging software and defragged it on safe mode one by one every drive, but in the end. Disappointment. Is there any other solution you can come up?

Well assuming you tried using 'chkdsk /f' in the command prompt, you might have to try an SSD and call it a day. A good SSD is gonna be tons faster than any HDD you can buy anyway, whether the HDD is 'failing' or not. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

12 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

Well assuming you tried using 'chkdsk /f' in the command prompt, you might have to try an SSD and call it a day. A good SSD is gonna be tons faster than any HDD you can buy anyway, whether the HDD is 'failing' or not. 

Okay I ran chkdsk /f and it says "The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time system restarts? <Y/N>" 
Then I entered "Y", but here the problem is my system is not even getting to the log in screen as it is always slow whenever I reboot and I have to log in to the safe mode which I did.

12 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

And after chkdsk /f I tried chkdsk /c, during which on stage 3 it says "The USN Journal verification is completed. The Volume Bitmap is incorrect. Windows has checked the file system and found problems. Please run chckdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair"

So I entered chckdsk /scan and it says " The type of the file system is NTFS. A function call was made when the object was in an incorrect state for that function. A snapshot error occurred while scanning this drive. Run an offline scan and fix"

No solutions yet 😞 can anybody help me?

4 minutes ago, Lee141 said:

No solutions yet 😞 can anybody help me?

SSD dude, just get one. If consoles don't use HDD's anymore, then that should be a sign to you that its time to move on. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2021 at 3:23 AM, BlackManINC said:

SSD dude, just get one. If consoles don't use HDD's anymore, then that should be a sign to you that its time to move on. 

Hey now I mean just now I am able to work it without any slow and of course after 10s of hundreds or restarts. Do you want me to check or scan something or anything that comes in your mind could help the problem in my pc get detected ??? Also I get to see this 99 % disc usage on the performance tab on the task manager.