Need help on how to control RGB fans

diphendum
Go to solution Solved by Biohazard777,
1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

fan pins would not matter.

RGB pins 4 is nice, but some have different types of it (size/shape) not sure about what those are.

you said it was connected the RGB cables? as you can do either through motherboard pins if the exist or hub, for a hub you would need to know if they will fit eachother and it works by using SATA power and USB port on the motherboard for the HUB. USB for control, SATA is the power.

both is done if you just connect it straight for the motherboard but supports less fans this way.

the pins on the motherboard would be the amount of pins you need, and say something like rainbow *something something* 1 - 4 etc.

then connect just like you did with the power for the fans, just for RGB. (see manual if unsure were, or if they dont exist).

Else you would need some software too, like corsairs ICUE or one that might be from the brand you got the fans.

i honestly, don't know, what you tried... To say.

1 hour ago, diphendum said:

fans are 2 of Scythe's Kaze Flex 140 MM and one 120 MM versions and all have a 4 pin connector.

4 pin = dumb / cheap LED color control. All the LEDs on the fan will produce the same color
3 pin = addressable LED (D_LED), more expensive but allows for different color LEDs on the same fan.

This is your fan right?

https://www.amazon.com/140mm-300-1200RPM-Controller-Included-Single/dp/B085VDR2SN

image.png.d7df9aa5df59ebd591e6cc39d242761a.png

From what I see the + G R B connector that comes with these fans has a passthrough, so you could hookup more than one to the same mobo header.

image.png.04d464550e18d5bbe807f2d4ebf8a7ae.png

That is your current draw per fan (0.12A), look bellow for max current mobo header can provide.
If for some reason the fans don't have passthrough connector , get a splitter cable:
image.png.88637e9e30293ae5b42c70a1bd3a1ca6.png

Motherboard: X570 AROUS Elite

And this is your motherboard:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_x570-aorus-elite-wifi_1002_e_v1.pdf

image.png.123ddec51cc4516274a642a18b97869c.png

image.png.13f01af715768ac3fb92c17b1d244a5d.png

So you can connect all of your fans to a single connector , or you can split them up so that 2 fans use the 1st header and the 3rd fan uses the 2nd header.

Will I need to buy an RGB controller then download a software?

You don't need a controller, you do need software.
For Aours that would be RGB Fusion 2.0: https://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/512/download.html
Software is IMHO intuitive and doesn't require an explanation here.

Fans in my case have had RGB for about 2 years now, but I just never cared to plug them in until now. Now that I have plugged them in how do I control the colors? Will I need to buy an RGB controller then download a software? If not, how would I go about controlling the RGB? Just don't want to waste money if I don't have to. The fans are 2 of Scythe's Kaze Flex 140 MM and one 120 MM versions and all have a 4 pin connector *for the RGB. Motherboard: X570 AROUS Elite ( 2x 4 pin RGB connectors and 2x 3 pin). Thank you to anyone who replies for the help.

Useless infromation if anyone is curious why I had RGB fans if I never used the RGB:
Upgraded my case fans about a year ago to the Scythe Kaze Flex fans since they seemed amazing to me in terms of thermal performance and noise level after looking at lots of reviews. Only ones in stock at the time were RGB ones so I didn't mind, just desperately needed better and quieter fans. Never plugged the RGB in until now.

both is done if you just connect it straight for the motherboard.

the pins on the motherboard would be the amount of pins you need, and say something like rainbow *something something* 1 - 4 etc.

then connect just like you did with the power for the fans, just for RGB. (see manual if unsure were, or if they dont exist).

Else you would need some software too, like corsairs ICUE or one that might be from the brand you got the fans.

1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

fan pins would not matter.

RGB pins 4 is nice, but some have different types of it (size/shape) not sure about what those are.

you said it was connected the RGB cables? as you can do either through motherboard pins if the exist or hub, for a hub you would need to know if they will fit eachother and it works by using SATA power and USB port on the motherboard for the HUB. USB for control, SATA is the power.

both is done if you just connect it straight for the motherboard but supports less fans this way.

fans are 2 of Scythe's Kaze Flex 140 MM and one 120 MM versions and all have a 4 pin connector.

4 pin = dumb / cheap LED color control. All the LEDs on the fan will produce the same color
3 pin = addressable LED (D_LED), more expensive but allows for different color LEDs on the same fan.

This is your fan right?

https://www.amazon.com/140mm-300-1200RPM-Controller-Included-Single/dp/B085VDR2SN

From what I see the + G R B connector that comes with these fans has a passthrough, so you could hookup more than one to the same mobo header.

That is your current draw per fan (0.12A), look bellow for max current mobo header can provide.
If for some reason the fans don't have passthrough connector , get a splitter cable:

Motherboard: X570 AROUS Elite

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_x570-aorus-elite-wifi_1002_e_v1.pdf

So you can connect all of your fans to a single connector , or you can split them up so that 2 fans use the 1st header and the 3rd fan uses the 2nd header.

Will I need to buy an RGB controller then download a software?

For Aours that would be RGB Fusion 2.0: https://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/512/download.html

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

2 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

This is your fan right?

@Biohazard777Thank you so, so, sooo much. I had actually gotten everything plugged in like you described with 2 in one header and the third in the last header. Thank you for the thorough response and describing difference between the 3 and 4 pin connectors. Will actually use that knowledge in the future when building a PC for my friend soon. I will use that software then. Very glad I don't need a controller. Thank you again you are extremely helpful!